chrono trigger - where threads connect (epoch)

melody

my inspiration for this piece was to evoke the actual act of travelling in the epoch and make the listener perceive the experience in a first-person sort of way. i wanted to illustrate their actual journey into the fabric of time. this is opposed to associating the song with its original context, the overworld map, and challenging the listener to look deeper. the final version will feature chris|amaterasu on violin!

edit 12/9, submitted: stats.png

Love that bass!

And love the mix as a whole! The only thing I'm not sure about is, if the strings in the begining should be pulled back and the piano forward maybe? Or vice versa? I's be interested to see how that sounds :) the drums also feel a little drowned in all the remix's synth glory! XD

OH and its tooooo short! I wanted it to keep on goin ;)

Okay, I need to get myself to a computer where I can listen to this with headphones because something tells me that's going to be a whole other experience.

EDIT -

Can I suggest some low toned wind instrumentation underlying the synth section, maybe fading in and out? An oboe or tenor sax I'm feeling. Again just a suggestion.

Muuuuch better! :D That lead stands out so much more and wow when all the synth kicks in it just makes it much more of an experience, it's near perfect though now I noticed it all seems a little panned to the right a bit much?

Go you and yer awsome remix XD

Still needs to be longer! lol ;-)

Wicked bass and drums.

God, I love this piece, the original blew my mind when I was a kid.

Arrangement:

I think you could milk your awesome groove / chords for WAAAAAY longer at the beginning. Most people will have that melody screaming in their minds, and waiting to bring it in would intensify the track.

Instruments:

Good stuff, bass, drums pads, etc.

However, the quality of the violin sound is dragging things down. It sounds unnatural and awkward. With so much outside of the box gear, why not play it on the guitar?

The mix on the violin sound is harsh in the upper mids, an EQ notch would help, if you refuse to swap out that sound.

Cool!

you're too kind, i say infant because i started work on this two days ago. the arrangement is still up in the air mostly, but i have a vague idea of where i want to take it. i just got some violin clips from amaterasu today and he's single-handedly bringing the song to new heights. hopefully i'll have something to show you guys soon because i know that cello sample sucks haha

The guitar is a popping out a bit too far in the early mix, IMO.

Near the beginning it feels like the strings jutting out awkwardly (I think you should keep them center panned until the mix fills up and see if that helps them feel less distant) from the background, but as the track progresses that is fixed.

Seems like once you get everything going it gels really well, but there are some soundscape hiccups along the way.

Great use of panning and volume on the arpeggios.

Okay, first gotta say... I love the arrangement, it's cool in may kinds of ways...

I like the funk, and I like the chill parts:

Your only problem here really is that you have so much conflicting in the mid ranges, your bass is overpowering everything without really shining at all... so basically you need to really break down what ranges your instruments need to fall into and EQ...

It's so nice, I really love the arrangement, but it's just so muddy.

Maybe try this... turn the bass up around 30 hz, lower it at around 30-80 hz and then search for the "sweet spot" freq that makes the bass' stand out the most in the upper freq... Then, reciprocate with the kick, as in whatever your bass does, at least in the lower, more conflicting ranges, do the opposite... EQ the kick down until about 30 hz, boost it until about 80 hz, and then lower any ranges until you find the place in the upper hz where you'll get a little click when it strikes...

This is all very general but basically what I am saying is, break down your song into your lows, lower mids, higher mids, and highs, and then decide where you want every instrument to sit within the mix.

It seems like your piano and your violin are clashing in the way way that your drums and bass are... so you want to find a sweet spot in the EQ for each instrument, and then kind of whittle away at the rest of the freq that aren't as necessary or important to make room... If you do this, it will open up your mix, give you a chance to throw in some more reverb for atmosphere, and let all those little nuances (like the arpeggiating synths) shine....

I've always had a lot of trouble with this, and it has taken me a lot of time to acquire an ear for separating frequencies...

The best way to describe it for me is really, you want to make sure in a song, if it were being described by this picture, all the freq are evenly spread across the board, and they aren't all cluttered in the left corner in one splotch of sound... fighting for space when there's plenty to go around if they just moved a bit.

But yeah, excellent arrangement...

p.s. you're using that phaser sound that shnabubula used in a bunch of songs that is so trippy :J

I've listened to the older versions and wow, this sounds awesome. Very nice arrangement.

The bass in the background, when it's exposed in the less busy parts, is causing some weird buzzing in my headphones. I don't think it's necessarily frequency clashes with other instruments but it could be a need of frequency band cut somewhere.

By the way I really like that low pass filter.

i always appreciate your good feedback mono, and one of the things i disagree with are your comments about the drums and bass. i wouldn't boost the bass here at 80 hz because i've chosen my kick drum as my true bass, and that works better for the direction i want to take this. i also have to disagree about it not shining, because one of my favorite aspects of this song is hearing the very clear pick attack on the bass as heard through a fuzzbox (cc ricers, this is what you're talking about)

the cello shouldn't be clashing with the piano as the cello is boosted at 3 khz and the piano at 900 hz.. it might be the sample quality? which is not too relevant anyway since it's simply placeholder until i get wavs from amaterasu

general complaint though seems to be that the mids suck and are oversaturated in the chorus haha, which is true. mixing that part is proving tricky. for anyone interested: i have two synths playing the same line mirrored through panning and continuously floating between l and r eq'd @ 3.2khz and 3.8 khz respectively, piano @ 900 hz, cello @ 2.9khz (soon to be a violin), choir @ 1.8 khz, two bass tracks @ 350 hz, and two drum tracks going at once. which is probably full of stupid eq decisions haha

help

edit: op updated with new version, production is a lot cleaner, most evident in the chorus

• 3 weeks later...

This is awesome. I would maybe add a tiny bit of reverb to the violin to give it an airier feel. Maybe also some more hi hat rhythms and raise the snare volume a tiny bit. Bass and kick sit well. But as far as production and overall sound.... my Westone 3's tell me this sounds epic. That is a large compliment, as they can be very revealing with bad recordings.