Need some good DS games

1337 1

I've been playing my DSi a fair bit of late, and having just finished off another game, am in search of something good to play. Of late, I've been playing mainly strategy RPGs (FFTA2 and Luminous Arc 1 + 2 most recently), and have enjoyed them quite a bit. I'll be damned if I can find any decent games in the same styles though. That said, I'll settle for anything RPG styled, but ideally strategy RPGs.

What do you all recommend?

I really enjoyed the Imagine Series. Oh, god, so many classics: Imagine Beauty Stylist, Imagine My Boutique, Imagine Teacher, Imagine Wildlife Keeper. SEE? WILDLIFE KEEPER? How the hell could you want more than that? Tell me? How? HOW?

And let's not forget the Sims series - srs variety there.

:tomatoface:

HOLD IT! I have played, and enjoyed, all the games. Same for the advance wars, but am yet to play Days of Ruin.

Objection-Artwork.png&t=1

You may have played some of the amazing Advance Wars games, but you have not admitted to playing any Fire Emblem games. For great justice, you must play the first Fire Emblem GBA game. The DS one is easier to find and would be OK too, but the best out there is the original Game Boy Advance one. It looks like this: FireEmblemcd.jpg&t=1

Etrian Odyssey 3 just came out last week - I recommend it, it's really fucking hard, though.

Also forget Fire Emblem anything if you don't like permadeath and getting RNG-screwed. Seriously, play Advance Wars instead - you get to start each map with the same setup as everyone else, with no regard to how you've been playing thus far. It's all strategy, no stats.

(Okay, I admit. I'm kind of bitter because the first Fire Emblem I played, I got my valkyrie or whatever pegasus lady killed the same map I got her on, and then desperately needed her later and eventually just quit. Advance Wars doesn't have that nonsense.)

I agree on the Etrian Odyssey 3 recommendation (tho the first 2 are good too)and also recommend SMT: Strange Journey and Dragon Quest IX if you are looking for something more traditional.

I also suggest Disgaea DS if you've never played any of the series. (tho the PS2 and PSP versions have more voice acting, the DS version has a unique character who is quite broken but in a fun way.)

You might only be a fan of strategy RPG's which are great, in their own way. But honestly, some of the best games for the DS aren't RPG's. Try Zelda: Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks; those are both good. Maybe you could even try the New Super Mario Bros. game. It's older, but it's still pretty good. I also like the Animal Crossing: Wild World game, but it's more of a simulation game. The Megaman Starforce games are okay, imo, Zerker x Saurian is the best one. SCRIBBLENAUTS. AMAZING.

Suggestions: Yes.

Great Games: Yes.

Having fun?: Yes.

And later this year we have...

Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (10/6)

Super Scribblenauts (10/14?)

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (11/29)

so there's three good games that are coming out soon.

Also worth checking out are the Professor Layton games. There's currently 3 (Curious Village, Diabolical/Pandora's Box, and Unwound Future) but they're great if you like puzzles.

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is an excellent, if overlooked, little gem on the Nintendo DS. And yes, it's a tactical RPG.

Gameplay-wise, it has interesting aspects, like the fact that your characters can all gang up on a single enemy, and you decide the order of attacks, which can lead to some interesting combos. Air combos increase experience gained, while ground combos have the potential for most damage (Enemies can do this too, which can be a pain)

There are plenty of ways to micromanage your characters: "tactics" are abilities your characters can perform during movement (you can acquire these, and permanently give them to basically any character), "techniques" are abilities automatically activated in battle (they work like the "tactics", but they have more limitations). You can also change the character's default order of attacks (useful for combos) and the usual equipment. There's also limited items/money, which is a difficulty I don't mind in SRPGs.

Finally, there's a gameplay aspect that ties with the plot: in each map, you must collect a certain amount of "sin". You can do this by "overkilling" your enemies a.k.a. dealing huge damage on them after they're dead, or by permanently killing off one of your own party members. Completing the sin quota nets you the best items, and if you did this by sacrificing a party member, the main character also gains an incredibly useful tactic. Underachieving this quota basically forces you to sacrifice a character in the next map you play.

And like I said, it ties in with the plot. The main character made a pact with the Devil in a quest for revenge. The story is divided into chapters, and there are always 3 available paths in each chapter (usually the same conflict in a different perspective) and 3 available endings. The plot is nothing too long or epic, but it's excellent, thanks in part to the great translation.

Anyway, you can find it on ebay for less than 20€ (I never saw it in stores), and it's definitely worth it.