MAGFest 9 is gone - PMD sets in :(

Bahamut

Hey everyone! One suggestion I might make... My favorite Japanese restaurant* in the area is nearby, Kyoto Sushi. It's about two miles down the road on King Street away from the Hilton. If anyone is up for it, we might want to hit the place up for lunch or dinner sometime.

Address:

3676 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22302 (Kyoto Sushi)

Directions from the Hilton:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Seminary+Rd&daddr=3676+King+Street,+Alexandria,+VA+22302+(Kyoto+Sushi)&hl=en&geocode=FfeMUAIdDkxn-w%3BFSl9UAIdbaxn-yGMyvQiZ25APA&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=38.831183,-77.114067&sspn=0.00906,0.013583&ie=UTF8&ll=38.830013,-77.102652&spn=0.01812,0.027165&z=15

Or basically: (1) go up I-395N to the next exit, (2) take Exit 5 and stay right, (3) Kyoto Sushi is in a little strip mall area to the right a half-mile down the road.

See y'all at MAG. KF

* Meaning that this is the only Japanese restaurant I've found so far here that I'll actually recommend to people.

I happened to find that restaurant too while looking up restaurants in the area Kizyr - it got great user reviews according to reviews on Google Maps.

I also noticed there's a Peruvian chicken place called Edy's Chicken & Steak in the area that got solid user reviews by Jefferson & Leesburg Pike (across the street from the Olive Garden).

Oh hey, as long as we are suggesting restaurants, one of my favorite restaurants in the area is not too far from the Hilton. It's called Busboys and Poets. It's vegetarian/vegan-friendly (and they serve meat as well), and they have a focus on social justice, incl. a small fair trade market/bookstore, for people who are into that sort of thing.

It's in Shirlington which is an area that has a lot of other good restaurants, and might be a good place to do a group meal. Shirlington is right off of 395, at exit 6 I believe.

TMNT for NES. Like there was ever a question here. ;-)
I was standing next to a guy who had all the Zelda CDi games for him to sign.
Mad Gear might have some copies of Shaq-Fu or Superman64 up for sale. KF

I actually liked the first TMNT back in the day. I dont have those others but I do have a couple copies of some Simpsons games.

Oh hey, as long as we are suggesting restaurants, one of my favorite restaurants in the area is not too far from the Hilton. It's called Busboys and Poets. It's vegetarian/vegan-friendly (and they serve meat as well), and they have a focus on social justice, incl. a small fair trade market/bookstore, for people who are into that sort of thing.

It's in Shirlington which is an area that has a lot of other good restaurants, and might be a good place to do a group meal. Shirlington is right off of 395, at exit 6 I believe.

Oh Shirlington is a great area. You get there from the hotel via I-395N from the hotel to the Shirlington exit (apparently... Google doesn't want to tell me if there's a number to that exit--it's Exit 7 if you're coming from the opposite direction). Anyway...

Address:

4251 S.Campbell Ave, Arlington, VA 22206 (Busboys & Poets)

Directions from Hilton:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Seminary+Rd&daddr=38.8419134,-77.0840557+to:Campbell+Ave&hl=en&geocode=FaCLUAIdf01n-w%3BFTmuUAIdacpn-yntSgLdSLG3iTHPqNZRFpClkQ%3BFVyrUAId2rNn-w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=38.832775,-77.115451&sspn=0.002261,0.003396&ie=UTF8&ll=38.829913,-77.109818&spn=0.018086,0.027165&z=15&via=1

So I'm getting a bit nervous about how parking is going to work out this year. Especially because both Thursday (night) and Friday (noon) I'm going to have to step out and go somewhere in the middle of the con.

I'm fine with parking <1 mile away from the hotel and walking there, and at least in DC I've always been adept at finding street parking. But I don't think I'll be as lucky here.

I want to be sure I'm understanding some of the options on the Parking & Directions pages...

• For the overflow lot (at NVCC), they're running a shuttle between there and the hotel. But, NVCC is kind of a sprawl and the parking lots are scattered. Where's the shuttle going to be?
  • There're parking garages across the street, though the MAG page says they're 'not working with us'. Does that mean we can't park there at all, or that we can but we just have to pay the regular price for the garage?
  • I heard something about some of the shuttles to other places not running. Is the one to Pentagon City still running?

Just making sure I know all my options beforehand... KF