SilvaGunner got banned from YouTube

TGON

Sadly it's true the massive VGM uploder Silvagunner got banned yesterday from youtube.

This really hurts me since I always thought his videos were top notch quality.

R.I.P. :(

LT EDIT (10/5): FYI, game companies did not issue the copyright takedowns that got SilvaGunner's channel YouTube suspended. Just to clarify, SilvaGunner never made money from the videos or had YouTube partner status. He got 1 strike from Viacom having a Team America clip, which he had uploaded back before he dedicated his channel to VGM. The 2nd came from the Record Industry Association of Japan for "Hikari" from Kingdom Hearts. We don't know what the 3rd strike was for yet. That said, SilvaGunner's suspension does not reflect a change in attitude by game companies regarding VGM videos.

SilvaGunner's one & only alternate channel is http://youtube.com/SilvaGunner2, and he is not uploading new content. There are now several imposter & tribute channels popping up with similar names. I have already contacted SilvaGunner with the information on how to restore his suspended channel.

Why was he banned?

Other than the obvious reason that youtube is run by a massive cabal of incompetent and ineffective faggots?

Seriously, they ban the most inoffensive and useful members of their community, and leave up some of the most groan-inducing assfucks around.

Gah, this is frustrating.

Well, considering he uploaded tons and tons of copyrighted tracks without permission, I'm not surprised... nor do I really feel sorry for him since, as I understand it, he had several other accounts that were banned for the same reason. It does suck from our perspective as listeners, but we have to be fair to the original composers & publishers. If your channel has over 200 million views and you didn't create ANY of the content, that's not right.

I'm waiting for the internet to charge your ISP (who then charges you) nanotransactions for all the content you find for free. Then it doesn't matter who uploads it as long as the right ppl get paid.

Still, it's a loss.

I always thought the more exposure for something, the better it was for business.

"Better for business" doesn't make it legal.

I'm pretty sure Silva was not a partner. I don't ever remember seeing a big Partner label on his channel when I'd visit. I think he knew he shouldn't be making money off the videos, considering how nearly all the videos had the "This is not mine I don't claim copyright" on all of them.

I'm waiting for the internet to charge your ISP (who then charges you) nanotransactions for all the content you find for free. Then it doesn't matter who uploads it as long as the right ppl get paid.

And then you will see an upswing in the number of proxies people use, because then EVERYONE will be like "lol pay for free shit? Uh, no"

And then some smart internet provider will be like "Well, no fees on this provider!" and everyone will flock to that.

"Good for business" doesn't make it legal.

Well, just look at the youtube poop phenomenon (represent) in regards to Volvic bottled water. Volvic LOVES how many people made parody videos regarding Volvic Revive, because for them it's free advertising.

Besides, this wouldn't matter if the standard wasn't so completely ham-handed and pick-and-choose.

Some people are punished, while others thrive and go off scot-free. Youtube has NEVER had its shit together, admin-wise and for all the 'updates' they give to the site, they often fix what was never broken and try to put bandaids on the REAL problems (like banning a select few people while ignoring the rest).

For all we know he was a YouTube Partner and earning ad revenue off those videos.

Don't recall seeing any ads. I think he knew better than to try to make money on loads of music he didn't make.

And then you will see an upswing in the number of proxies people use, because then EVERYONE will be like "lol pay for free shit? Uh, no"

And then some smart internet provider will be like "Well, no fees on this provider!" and everyone will flock to that.

Not if it (however it'd work, technically) up to the ISP to pay, and charge its customers however much they want. I recently changed my cell phone deal to one of a variety of different deals from the same company. X minutes/messages for free, monthly fee only so much, x bytes of net transfer included, low speed internet, high speed internet, x calls/messages within to others with the same provider for free, etc... I only see two problems - legislation to make sure all ISPs have to do this, and identification, as afaik the ISP can't really tell what data you're accessing.

Spotify needs to be integrated into everything musical. Or it needs competition. Or both.

Okay, back on topic now...

Some people are punished, while others thrive and go off scot-free. Youtube has NEVER had its shit together, admin-wise and for all the 'updates' they give to the site, they often fix what was never broken and try to put bandaids on the REAL problems (like banning a select few people while ignoring the rest).

Then again, he's a major uploader of copyrighted material. It's not surprising he got suspended. Seems to me like vgm aren't hit nearly as hard as the "real" music industry. WHo'd get away with uploading that amount of "real" songs?

"Better for business" doesn't make it legal.

This makes me think that the law needs to change. Its bad for business and bad for listeners. How many times I have found out and brought music I found out about from an "illegal" video from youtube I can't count, and how many others will have done the same I wonder? The world is changing its methods of distribution now, and its time this BS was corrected.

For all we know he was a YouTube Partner and earning ad revenue off those videos.

I very much doubt he was a youtube partner, to do that you have to have high quality videos (not just music videos with pictures over the top) with original content and all his videos would have had ads all over them.

Well, just look at the youtube poop phenomenon (represent) in regards to Volvic bottled water. Volvic LOVES how many people made parody videos regarding Volvic Revive, because for them it's free advertising.

You should know that's not the same thing. Parody is much closer to fair use than complete original content.

...this wouldn't matter if the standard wasn't so completely ham-handed and pick-and-choose... Youtube has NEVER had its shit together...

Disregarding the irrelevant stuff about how they operate, you're assuming it's completely up to them. We're talking billions of people on this planet; it's impossible to enforce anything consistently. More likely, they simply wait for enough complaints, then take action. It can happen anywhere, at any time. It may yet happen to OC ReMix... one day an arrangement might not get off. Like Dave said, 'knock on wood'. It may yet happen to me... I deal in small excerpts, not whole films, but that's no guarantee either. I have two videos with claims on them (another vid's claim later disappeared), and they get ads. I happen to like that solution, because before they'd just be removed altogether. I give youtube some credit.

YouTube is legally required to take down anything on their site if they receive a copyright complaint about it. Current copyright law provides protection for sites hosting user content -- the users, rather than the site, is held responsible for infringing content... as long as the site immediately takes down any content that they're told is infringing by the copyright holder. The user is then allowed to contest the removal, but the site HAS to take it down IMMEDIATELY upon recieving the complaint or they themselves become liable for the infringement.

So basically, YouTube has to nuke anything they get complaints about unless they want to get sued into oblivion.

The problem with that, and believe me, I've seen this happen, is that ANYONE can impersonate a major company/firm/whatever and file a copyright complaint.

You can pretend to be Funimation and remove a bunch of AMVs if you want (more power to ya), or you can pretend to be something like DiC and force people to remove those GI Joe PSA parody videos.

Like I said, this HAS happened to some of my friends, because some dickwad wanted to be a jerk. Youtube does not fact-check- it just deletes a user's entire history with the site.

Well, considering he uploaded tons and tons of copyrighted tracks without permission, I'm not surprised... nor do I really feel sorry for him since, as I understand it, he had several other accounts that were banned for the same reason. It does suck from our perspective as listeners, but we have to be fair to the original composers & publishers. If your channel has over 200 million views and you didn't create ANY of the content, that's not right.

By your logic everyone who's ever uploaded an AMV should be banned as well.

The real world doesn't really work like that, though, so, wishful thinking. It's not like he was going out claiming to be the owner of any of the music; he had all the proper copyright information and composers listed with every video submission. And on top of that, he had uploaded quite a few total gamerips and original sound versions which I consider to be in most cases superior to arrangements and remixes for the pure fact that it's the music you listened to growing up and the music you had fond memories for.

Now, given also that he had supplied users with the means to listen to soundtracks that might not have been available through other means, this is actually a major blow to music appreciators everywhere and fans of video game music in particular. While I don't have any personal interaction with him beyond having listened to the audio experience he provided me with, this is still an immense disappointment and personally I hope he comes around here to link us to a torrent or something just to flip the bird at those silly bastards who banned him.

When did I say he should have been banned? I just said it's not surprising, and that it's not some injustice. He did nothing except upload works created by other people, without their permission. Good for people that appreciate music, but if the people that OWN those works have a problem, then he should respect their wishes. You can't just act entitled to music that other people have written. If they don't want to share it, then you don't have the right to take it from them and share it. The fact that he's been banned and warned before says that he HAS been asked to take down the copyrighted material, and he just keeps ignoring those requests. THAT is a dick move.

Not necessarily. Youtube sometimes bans people without warning. Other times, they give people strikes and notifications and whatnot.

And like I said, someone could fake being "Square Enix CO." and file a "copyright claim" just to be a douche.

I've been involved with the copyright claim process before and you need to provide YT with quite a lot of info, including solid proof. And the user DOES get a warning. SG had been previously banned before anyway, which is why I'm saying it's not surprising.

nobody should ever listen to music without paying for it pirates are ruining the music industry how will metallica ever survive

Who said anything about paying for it? I'm just saying you can't go around uploading people's work without their permission and then act surprised or indignant after they ask you to stop, you ignore them and get banned from YouTube for it. The thing is, most musicians and companies don't care about their stuff being distributed for free on YouTube. I don't care, myself (provided people provide links back to me if they want to hear more.) But if I make the decision that I don't want people uploading my stuff without permission, and I ask them to stop, that's not unreasonable.