OCR02105 - Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin "Fear of Haze"

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's just as cauldron-y as the first time I heard it. Seriously, the many gloopy, bubbly sounds are so up-front that I almost can't think of anything BUT a witch's cauldron boasting a simmering green liquid of dubious substances. Not that it makes listening to the mix uncomfortable; on the contrary, it's that eternal texture that I love about this. It just kinda drowns out (ha ha, see what I did there) the other ingredients.

Aside from that, intense mix is intense.

• 1 month later...

Overall, not feeling this song as much as the others on the album, but I think that is more based on the source itself than Morse's take on it. I do like that he took a challenge and went with it, and came out with a successful mix none-the-less. Overall it's a bit hectic, which works in it's own way, and is pretty cool. Not my favorite, but still an enjoyable listen.

Regrettably, I haven't given much time to listen to Sonata of the Damned since its release. These mixes are all great. I know very little of the source music for the Castlevania games, but I really want to listen to it now.

This one caught me from the top. From the opening I knew I was going to like it, and I wasn't disappointed. It has been so long since I listened to it, it feels like listening for the first time. It's really funky and cool, just listening to what's going on. It's dark and crazy-sounding. I can't really think of what to say in detail, just that it's something really cool to just sit back and listen to.

I'm the opposite of Deia on this one, I really feel like this was the most memorable song on Sonata, for the same reason as she said - it really does have a lot to do with the source, it just... funks it up a lot :-D Brings back a lot of good memories to Portrait of Ruin, one of the Castlevania games that stole the most time from me overall while I tried to complete it 100%.

Definitely feels like a standout track to me!

• 1 year later...

The effects were what really caught my interest in this song. It's odd, but not distracting from the more frantically smooth arrangement you've got going on here. Certainly one of my favorites of the album. I know it's "fear of haze", but the overall sound makes me think of an environment filled with a haze of fear. Not crazy about the ending, but all in all, it was an awesome ReMix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02105 - Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin "Fear of Haze"