VGM Rap (or vulgar rap-hate) thread (split from MM4 'Get a Weapon Weapon' reviews)

Liontamer

I'll probably be banned for the conclusion of the review, but I don't really care anymore.

The flow is excellent! These guys know how to ride a beat. Lyrics are a little cheesy, could be a little more meaningful, and could be a little bit sharper in terms of eq-ing but the over-all feel of the track is excellent. The rhyming schemes are amazing and very very well crafted. 90s electro patches with some grimey Primo-ish sounds with a bit of a modern twist make this thing a perfect example of post-modern hip-hop sound. Nothing too fancy, but I think joecam and the Crackaz could learn alot from these guys.

Selah!

-Aaron

You're not gonna get banned, but you really need to just leave it be re: Joe Cam and vulgar rappers who cuss. You don't like it. We get it. People will still cuss and be vulgar. You'll be alright.

You're not gonna get banned, but you really need to just leave it be re: Joe Cam and vulgar rappers who cuss. You don't like it. We get it. People will still cuss and be vulgar. You'll be alright.

Honestly guys, it's possible to not like something that just so happens to be profane for reasons other than the presence of oh-so-evil cuss words.

You really need to just leave it be re: Joe Cam and vulgar rappers who cuss. You don't like it. We get it. People will still cuss and be vulgar. You'll be alright.

No, you do not; and that's why I so-called 'milk threads" and "bitch" according to "King Cam," because people don't understand what I say yet I speak in the Queen's English. I'm loosing respect for this community because of that and I'm loosing respect for hip-hop. I know that the sodomy in rap will only get worse, but regardless, a need for classic material (golden age hip-hop compared to Timbaland dirty-south sound) is the reason why I prefer songs like this over mainstream wannabe sound (vulgar or not, Christian or gangster).

Anyway, I'm tired of having to "milk" when people think they know me but they don't. If people don't like what I have to say, they can disagree with me. But if they think they understand me, they don't have a clue. I'm a book. Have fun reading, feel free to ask questions, but don't make your own translation; you'll get it wrong. Few people learn, many vegetate!

A-RoN:

...Really? The FF IV mix was posted in friggin' July. It's October. Get over it, move on. What's wrong with you where you're this fixated over a song you didn't like?

No, no, I understand that it's cause this is another rap mix, and that one was the most recent rap mix until this one.

I also understand that there was absolutely no reason to throw shots at joe cam/crackaz after giving a decent evaluation of the mix until then. The fact that you preceded your review of this mix by saying 'Well I know this will probably get me banned...' makes it worse because it makes it seem like the nice things you were saying about this song were only being said so you could throw a shot out at someone else. That's lame.

As for this mix, it's catchy and I like the production, but something about the guy's voice isn't doing it for me. It seems similar to MC Frontalot which is what's throwing me. I've only hit up Frontalot's first CD, and that was some time ago, so I could be way off on that though. I need to give it a closer listen later.

No, you do not; and that's why I so-called 'milk threads" and "bitch" according to "King Cam," because people don't understand what I say yet I speak in the Queen's English. I'm loosing respect for this community because of that and I'm loosing respect for hip-hop. I know that the sodomy in rap will only get worse, but regardless, a need for classic material (golden age hip-hop compared to Timbaland dirty-south sound) is the reason why I prefer songs like this over mainstream wannabe sound (vulgar or not, Christian or gangster).

Anyway, I'm tired of having to "milk" when people think they know me but they don't. If people don't like what I have to say, they can disagree with me. But if they think they understand me, they don't have a clue. I'm a book. Have fun reading, feel free to ask questions, but don't make your own translation; you'll get it wrong. Few people learn, many vegetate!

I don't actually care why you don't like Joe Cam or his music, because it doesn't matter what the reason is for you trolling Joe Cam.

Stop bringing up Joe Cam in every thread tangentially related to rap music. If you did a Christian rap to a Kirby beat about life's preciousness and spirituality, and someone complained it was too squeaky clean & syrupy, and constantly trolled YOU about not representing rap the proper way, the response would be the same. You can't do that here. Artistic expression is valued here.

It's one thing to say you prefer clean/classic rap to gangsta/vulgar rap. It's another to then ALWAYS BRING UP JOE CAM and proceed to remind everyone that you don't like his music and that if he just listened to YOU on what kind of music he should make, then he would be much better and you would be much happier. If you can't show up in a rap thread and just say your piece without prodding Joe Cam, then just don't say anything.

First, I'm confused what this thread was split off of.

Second, it's possible to not like something or someone but remain silent about it. There's many songs I hear near daily that I won't comment about to the person just out of respect for those boundaries of his/her preference.

Musicians do songs for different reasons, and have different views about them. Not all want to be serious, or their music to be taken seriously, or agree with a view that all music has to sound a certain way or is automatically bad. Take that into account.

Leave your view on the table and walk away - no need to keep at it. You only hurt perceptions of yourself & give added stress looking for validation of your view that is strongly personal if what I understand is correct.

I for one would love to hear a Christian rap to a Kirby beat about life's preciousness and spirituality. Fight negativity with positivity, not by trollin tha crackaz, IMO. :-)

Seconded.

I listened to the everclear mix once, way back, and that was enough. It's catchy (still have the last lines of the chorus in my head, which is pretty impressive), but I'm staying clear of it for the content and language. No hate, I just prefer cleaner stuff.

I speak in the Queen's English. I'm loosing respect for this community

I guess we should tighten ourselves up then, lest our evils undo our imperialist status.

sorry, I couldn't resist...:lol:

Anyway I like vulgar rap because I hate rap, and hearing swear words screamed at me ala lil' jon makes me laugh and realize just how much I hate it as a genre in the first place.

Also, I really liked the everclear mix in a "music of my groin" type of way - it's good to have a not so serious track every now and then. Music is supposed to be "fun," after all...

I for one would love to hear a Christian rap to a Kirby beat about life's preciousness and spirituality. Fight negativity with positivity, not by trollin tha crackaz, IMO. :-)

I have an mp3 of the Grape Gardens map music from Kirby's Dreamland underneath some rap, complete with explicit lyrics, but that's pretty much the opposite of what you asked for. :3

Anyone interested, ask me on IRC and I'll shoot it over.

A-RoN,

There's a lot of stuff I don't like but I've learned to keep it to myself, or to just talk to others that are like-minded.

If you don't like what's going on in the community, then you don't like what's going on. You're not going to change people's minds. The best thing you can do is just look the other way and just be positive and support what you do enjoy - and don't be passive/aggressive in that positivity by calling out someone else.

Just trying to help you out. It's best to learn that it's just best to not say anything if you can't say anything nice.

Here's the ultimate test:

A-RON

record a track about it sometime instead of complaining about all the rap in the world for the 2nd decade in a row? i feel i'm in a fucking time machine every time i see your name pop up.

my goodness, my man... i don't even remember the last time i heard a track from you? i almost forgot you could flow

Getting close to being exiled to the Siberia of OffTop :nicework:

But seriously, folks... I've got no problem with people who don't like profanity in songs. Well, maybe a small problem, just because I've personally always found actual concepts & intents much more offensive than colorful language, but obviously a lot of people take issue with explicit lyrics.

That's fine.

But in review threads for mixes, we're looking for feedback on that specific mix. If you're gonna shit (!) on anything & everything that has profanity, then you're not reacting to each specific mix as much as you are stating a personal preference, and the thread isn't about you. It's about the mix, and what people think about it, yourself included. It's not the place to proselytize or to take potshots at other artists or other mixes by saying they've got "something to learn," etc.

That's the nature of Larry's objection and the reasoning behind the thread split, and that's a message & rationale that should be fairly clear.

Wow. I can't believe what I just started. Let me just sit back and enjoy the show, because you guys obviously just don't give a **** about ANYTHING I'm getting at.

It's not about what you're "getting at."

It's about showing respect to a fellow artist, even if you disagree with the content and/or approach to music.

You liked the MM4 mix and decided to leave a review. Great. But don't start taking potshots at other artists in your review. Review the piece that's in front of you and move on. You're entitled to your opinion, but you don't have to bring it up any time a hip-hop remix is posted.

If you posted a review of one of my mixes and stated badmouthing another artist in it, I'd be pretty annoyed, because that's just not right. It's a matter of etiquette between artists; you just don't do that. You don't talk about someone else's work in a review; you say your piece and leave it at that.

In other words: lay off.

Wow. I can't believe what I just started. Let me just sit back and enjoy the show, because you guys obviously just don't give a **** about ANYTHING I'm getting at.

Then what are you getting at? that you hate JoeCam's stuff? That you hate profanity in songs?

We've been over this, and now it's like arguing to a brick wall.

It's like djp said, in track review threads, keep discussion to that track. Nothing bugs me more than when someone takes every opportunity (even when they make that opportunity themselves when there wasn't even a chance for it) to rag on something they don't like. [i think the IRCers will know who I'm referencing here].

You don't like something, that's fine. We're not telling you that you can't like it.

But it's as the old saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

[if that somehow qualifies as minimodding, forgive me. that is not my intent here]

I'm not as much surprised at the thread split, because I think that's perfectly justified. If there is a thread dedicated to a specific song, keep the discussion specific to that song.

...what I AM surprised about is the general "fuck off" attitude exhibited by this thread. It'd be one thing if the general attitude was "fuck off to your own thread in gen. disc., where you can then bring up discussion about the state of rap / hip-hop music as it pertains to present day socio-political roles", but that's not what we're getting here.

I actually read a post that said "you won't change anyone's minds". That's a HORRIBLE MINDSET for a discussion forum.

First of all, art is art, but there is always a discussion to be had there. Sure, I could write a beautiful 4 movement sonata about how women should be in the kitchen and in burkas and never vote, but just because it's art doesn't mean:

A ) I'm not bringing up societal issues.

B ) I'm not professing a desire for human rights violations.

C ) I'm not objectifying an entire group of people.

...which I think is more the heart of this "fiasco" here. I don't know much about the history on OCRemix about this, but I DO know that:

A ) most rap music from late 90s-now has markedly more profanity in it than earlier rap.

B ) modern rap frequently objectifies women, makes role models out of murderers and drug addicts, and teaches anti-establishment/borderline anarchic philosophies.

C ) has a societal crime rate well above any other genre of recording artists, which correlates to an inner city/urban crime rate that is well above the American average and MUCH higher than European counterparts.

The profanity, in and of itself, is not the issue. I cuss all the time, and a stray "fuck" isn't going to cause me to kill anyone any more than a round of Halo will (that is to say, not at all). But to suggest that there is not debate to be had here is disingenuous, at best.

I'm more disappointed that there are actually people out there who think not discussing because everyone has a viewpoint is a valid way to live. Everyone has a right to a viewpoint, but not every viewpoint is a good one, nor is every viewpoint even socially acceptable. "Blacks should be in jail" is a valid viewpoint, insofar as someone could theoretically logically justify it... but that doesn't mean that it isn't unacceptable for someone to actually hold that viewpoint.

To conclude... look at the way the Dutch tolerate so much that they allow Muslims to commit hate crimes in their country out of fear that they are being religiously intolerant by stopping them. Sometimes, you can be too tolerant.