*NO* Blaster Master 'Miles Beneath the Surface'

djpretzel

* Contact Info

* ReMixer: Chronosis

* Email Address: jayreardon@comcast.net (This has changed)

* forum userid: 5171

* ReMix Info

* Name of game(s) ReMixed : Blaster Master

* Name of individual song : Miles Beneath The Surface (Track 4 OST)

* OST Link :

http://www.ocremix.org/songs/original/Blaster%20Master%20(1988)(Naoki%20Kodaka%20&%20Marumo%20-%20Sunsoft)(16%20Songs).nsf

* File Location:

* File Name: "Chronosis - Miles Beneath The Surface - OC.mp3"

Notes: I'm in the process of moving, which includes Re-Co-Locating my server machine. There will be a short period time where my server will be inaccessible. Please be aware that there is a remote but real chance that the file may be unavailable during the week of Sept. 13th. On the off chance you are unable to access the file, please try again the next day. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Chronosis Jay Reardon

Not bad stuff. I'm certainly interested in what Disco Dan would have thought about this one. Fairly spacey-sounding, but this could have sounded a bit cleaner production-wise. The rearrangement wasn't too bad, but there could have been more substance there when tackling the actual source tune melody. The tempo was a little plodding at times, and there could have been more substance with the drums; nothing crazy that would have disturbed the flow here, per se, but there could have been something more creative done there to vary things up.

3:00-3:06 felt like there was going to be some cool "one mo time fo da bass" transisition, but nope. :-) At 3:08, you retread into the same source material coverage with only a little variation around the 3:45 mark before heading into the close with another minute left. If this wasn't going to tread any new ground there, it should have been trimmed down, as it gets repetitive while not really maintaining interest. Felt bad for those strings only being used at the very beginning and the very end.

Just check out the observations I had and make your own refinements based on those in case you want to resubmit. Good foundations are in place, Jay, but there need to be some more ideas/developments present in a mix that's 4:47 long.

NO

3:00-3:06 felt like there was going to be some cool "one mo time fo da bass" transisition, but nope.

Kind sir, you mock the dead :(

Assuming this is a rehash of the original (never got very far in the Master of the Blasters video game), I'm going to give boiler-plate Wingless speech #563.

Verbatim mixes ain't going to cut it in 4th Era of Overclocked. Although this mix is clean and certainly pleasant to listen to... in the end, it's simply an "updated" version of the original. It is the bare minumum you could do, and I going to take it on good faith that you can do/add so much more.

Make the song yours. Claim it. SIEZE IT! TAME THE VAGINA AND MASTER THE COCK!

Ah... but Magnolia notwithstanding, for the sizeable length of this song, you need to incorpate more (original) material that will captivate the audience. If the people we're performing for collectively sigh "been there, done that"... then ultimately, we have failed in some respect as artists.

Resubmit, and add some killer junk.

No

and see about taming the vagina too. Why would Cruise lie to me? What would he have to gain?

Really enjoyed this one. The pacing didn't bother me. Issues are pretty much covered by the other judges. Needs more arrangement, and some change ups as far as repetitivity. Try changing the tempo, rhythm, instrumentation throughout at least. Something to break up the monotony. Also less reverb for this kind of style is necessary in my opinion. Use short reverb decays or short delays.

Keep at it, this is promising, but not quite there yet. NO