Rozovian

...the presence or absence of a long line that reads something like "remixer profile") to decide whether or not your post merits my attention. How douchy.

This kind'a merits its own thread, but I'll just latch it on here:

dannthr, Yoozer, Gario, and other helpful and supposedly* knowledgeable ppl without a posted mix on the site... Do you trust them to know what they're talking about? Cuz I catch myself thinking "no mixpost, how convincing" whenever I read something of theirs that I disagree with. Not that I don't get that they might know what they're talking about, perhaps even be right**, it's just that having a posted mix makes some of us something of an elite that know the craft and have something to show for it, whereas those who don't... well, don't.

Hiddened message: make remix, get posted, stop being picked on. :D

* :P

** except regarding parallel fifths

dannthr, Yoozer, Gario, and other helpful and supposedly* knowledgeable ppl without a posted mix on the site... Do you trust them to know what they're talking about? Cuz I catch myself thinking "no mixpost, how convincing" whenever I read something of theirs that I disagree with. Not that I don't get that they might know what they're talking about, perhaps even be right**, it's just that having a posted mix makes some of us something of an elite that know the craft and have something to show for it, whereas those who don't... well, don't.

Oh boy, this is opening a can-o-worms, ain't it? You're right that it probably deserves its own thread. Unfortunately, yes, there is a sentiment like this that floats around, and I'd be lying if it never crossed my mind in some way. However, I will also say that I do my best to ignore it and base responses on context and content, rather than the reputation (and, thereby, merits of actions and abilities) of said person. Of course, if someone is looking for advice on becoming a posted mixer, no better a response than one coming from people who are one. But in terms of arguing feedback in-general, musical theory, and other things of that natures, I think the "playing field is much more level".

Also, the whole "make remix, get posted, stop being picked on" thing, while I'm sure you're using it in jest, also can be interpreted as a truth. It DOES happen, sometimes. There are some individuals, whom I shall not name, that use their posted status as a crutch to excuse themselves for sometimes unwarranted negative responses against those who are not posted. I would say 99% of posted mixers do NOT do this, and I honestly haven't seen any of it lately so it isn't an issue that is fresh, but to say it never happens would be a bold-faced lie.

Believe me, Rozo, I know you werent being serious with most of the stuff you were saying, but you did bring up some great, and important, points. Though I personally wouldn't use the word "Elite" ;)

dannthr, Yoozer, Gario, and other helpful and supposedly* knowledgeable ppl without a posted mix on the site... Do you trust them to know what they're talking about? Cuz I catch myself thinking "no mixpost, how convincing" whenever I read something of theirs that I disagree with.

Interesting that you ask this (alright, hardly: you're the OP). I remember reading a ton of your critiques in the WIP forum and wondering to myself why you didn't have anything posted because I thought you were spot on most of the time. I respect Gario's opinion just the same..haven't really read anything of dannthr or Yoozer that I can remember but I will consider all criticism when I evaluate anything artistic.

Really, I was kidding. I am the epitome of a (now) part-time forum whore. I will read every post in a thread; it's just when that little tag pops up, some part of me says "you better read this" and I get a sudden uncontrollable urge to rub my nipples...and a black mage boner.

ok, done

It speaks volumes. I like you that much more.

edit: I see a tag. cyber plz?

* :P

** except regarding parallel fifths

I will point out that being a remixer and remix critiquer are two different things. Proof - LIONTAMER. Emunator, who is a wip judge is another good example of a non posted remixer who gives out great critiques as well. That said, it might be harder for the newbs to be sure what critique to trust, as there are those that do know their shit, and those that, to put it simply - don't - or don't yet.

I think that being a posted remixer will get you alot more respect from a musical standpoint on ocr because it basically proves that you are above a certain standard, but that doesn't always mean that those that aren't are completely hopeless. However, if you want to be taken more seriously from crits, then getting a posted remix is pretty much key because it gives you that status that you aren't a newb who doesn't really have a clue, at least to those that won't be able to tell the great crits from not so great crits.

The hell? I've never used any Lunar avatar. My last one was Vanessa from King of Fighters, and before that it was Tikal from Sonic Adventure, Millia from Guilty Gear, and Sonic. And probably something else in there too that I'm forgetting.

SHIT shit... I'm thinking of someone else.

Now I'm going to think of you as the guy that I made an ass out of myself commenting about. Whoops.

I will point out that being a remixer and remix critiquer are too different things. Proof - LIONTAMER.

Agree'd... except for the 'too' part.

My sig?

I'm a self glorifying whore that wants people to know what I'm working on.

And my avatar is because Metal Gear is like omg my fave, omg, lolwut? foreelzy.

What's probably more telling of my personality is what's going on below the sig (deep voice: oh my). I ALWAYS edit my posts because I'm an idea perfectionist that wants my points understood. Nary a post is made without some kind of modification... in some shape, form, or fashion. And the worst part is that I rarely include the EDIT: text, unless it's super obvious that I've edited something. Maybe that's even moooooore telling.

/evil_and_maniacal_laughter

EDIT:

Naw but really, y'all oughta check out muh sig links.

/self_glorfied_whoring

Though I personally wouldn't use the word "Elite" ;)

I used that word intentionally. Might have been a little sloppy with how I used it, but I still stand by my choice. Whether we like it or not, we have a bit of an elitist attitude when dealing with non-posted remixers, critics, everyone. Not that we consciously go around thinking that forum veterans who aren't posted remixers suck and how the Workshop is populated by n00bs with a grip on the terminology, I mean more in the sense that it's a convenient excuse to disregard their expertise when you disagree.

Much like my first encounter with SnappleMan posting on a remix of mine saying "good ideas, the execution sucks" and not offering helpful advice. Or my first sub which wasn't unanimously accepted for the genius it really was (at the time). I went for whatever excuse I could come up with to treat the feedback I disagreed with as less valid. If you're getting tough feedback from someone who isn't a posted remixer, it'll be so much easier to ignore it.

So not only is it something the elite has to deal with (and like it or not, it is an elite and you're part of it :P), it's also something the aspiring remixers have to avoid falling for.

Anyway, Arcana had be fooled as well. Until I saw his name. I actually read those fields. :P