Zelda: Majora's Mask - Last Day (Ambient Reconstruction w/ SFX)

Iceferno

Well, the Astral Observatory remix was a lot of fun to make, and this one was no different. :) I put a lot into this and it isn't necessarily just a rebuild of the original song, though it is close.

Available to stream on YouTube and as last time, an MP3 link is in the video description:

Details of the track are below (in italic and small font as a form of spoiler-proof):

• Featuring original MM sound effects! The song starts with 12 bell chimes, signifying 12am on the 3rd night. Rumbles of the moon falling are amongst the bell sounds and intro and at various points in the song. A low-pass and reverb'd kick is also used in this section.

• After the main part of Last Day is done, it seems like it repeats, but that's not the case. The intro is heard again, this time with 5 bell chimes, symbolising 5am of the "4th day"

• After the Moon's Tear hits, I make things more dramatic by continuing on with what sounds a little like a windup-toybox/piano playing a melancholic version of Astral Observatory. It plays once on it's own and once with lower synth-string accompanyment.

• The song finishes with a Moon-fall rumble followed by the low-pass reverb kick I tweaked, depicting the moon crashing.

Last Day is one of my favourite game tracks of all time, from one of my top games of all time. Having the OST, I was always a bit bummed how short the official track is, so it's nice to see this (more than) fill those five minutes in the game you can hear actually hear it.

Overall I dig it. Pardon my technical jargon inadequacies... the main synth works, though part of me kind of yearns for something more organic, like a natural string (or quartet, which would be symbolic in its own rite) to really set that somber tone, especially with some of the second half--after the five chimes--sounding more natural. BTW, that second half is gorgeous... sounds like a play off of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata... was that intentional as another subtle, symbolic inclusion?

Can't wait to hear how things progress! :D

Both of these are great, but this one is my favorite. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. Those sound effects just put the icing on the cake--I loved them. This thing could be accepted easy. I've heard much worse accepted--and this ain't that. :mrgreen:

Last Day is one of my favourite game tracks of all time, from one of my top games of all time. Having the OST, I was always a bit bummed how short the official track is, so it's nice to see this (more than) fill those five minutes in the game you can hear actually hear it.

Overall I dig it. Pardon my technical jargon inadequacies... the main synth works, though part of me kind of yearns for something more organic, like a natural string (or quartet, which would be symbolic in its own rite) to really set that somber tone, especially with some of the second half--after the five chimes--sounding more natural. BTW, that second half is gorgeous... sounds like a play off of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata... was that intentional as another subtle, symbolic inclusion?

Can't wait to hear how things progress! :D

Yeah, your critiques are fair. I wanted some better surrounding pads and synths, but I made the best of what I have, even though I never really use the instruments to their utmost potential and later learn that I have more great sounds.

Interesting idea about the nod to Beethoven, and I suppose it could be in a way. :) I've always liked that lullaby style of plucking. But really, it was linking the moon and the observatory together, with the feeling of impending doom in each regard.

Both of these are great, but this one is my favorite. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. Those sound effects just put the icing on the cake--I loved them. This thing could be accepted easy. I've heard much worse accepted--and this ain't that. :mrgreen:

Well that's great to know! I may just attempt a submission of this then :) If I still don't manage it, no biggie. As long as I get at least one remix on here one day.

Thanks for your comments. Some positive but also some constructive views. I appreciate it :)

absolutely.. the synth is totally competent, and i like how it turned out. i guess it all boils down to your intent, ice, more than anyone else's opinion about what sound you were going for!

and if the hint of the 2012 thing is what i think it is, i am ready to have this thread's baby. :-P

I normally don't post on things I find here in the workshop.. I find some real good songs here.. but this one.. this one made me decide to leave something.. I usually play just about anything I get here as grinding music for the current MMO I'm playing.. this was no exception. I may not be into all the technical stuff involved with music.. but I know what I like.. and I like this. Was traveling around Northrend on WoW and listening to this.. Hit Icecrown to do my dailies.. And I nodded to myself.. was dark... the usual snow started.. all the while this played.. It was perfect. I had liked it before but it was a true mood setter for me, very well done in all respects.

I normally don't post on things I find here in the workshop.. I find some real good songs here.. but this one.. this one made me decide to leave something.. I usually play just about anything I get here as grinding music for the current MMO I'm playing.. this was no exception. I may not be into all the technical stuff involved with music.. but I know what I like.. and I like this. Was traveling around Northrend on WoW and listening to this.. Hit Icecrown to do my dailies.. And I nodded to myself.. was dark... the usual snow started.. all the while this played.. It was perfect. I had liked it before but it was a true mood setter for me, very well done in all respects.

Nice little narrative you gave me song, there. :wink: hehe Thanks. Glad it fitted in with the game :)

Have you switched it to mod review yet?

Oh I emailed it to them but I'm not sure what I do next. I also made a mistake in my email. I forgot to change the ID tags to match the filename. Since OCR have remixers as artists I called mine Iceferno - 6 Hours, but the ID tag still says Koji Kondo - Last Day (Clouddrifter Rebuild) etc. I was thinking I'd wait for the rejection letter and try again with the tags fixed.

Not sure about this one, it seems to stagnate. Altho beautiful it doesn't really go anywhere. It takes 3:50 to get to a point that doesn't feel a midi rip (altho production, sound design is way above most midi rips :P). Not sure about the volume either, but can't listen at my usual volume atm so can't really tell. It's a cool track, captures the source well, but I'm not sure it has a clear enough direction to pass the panel.

On a related note, why aren't you a posted remixer yet? Haven't you made awesome stuff before?

My mastering isn't great. Also, about the volume, it's quiet in the video but I later replaced the download MP3 with higher volume. I wasn't trying to do anything new with the song, just bringing it into modern day respectfully, while un-looping it and arranging it as a song. Thus why it's called a Rebuild (a play on remix, yes, but it's more descriptive). Don't expect anything overworked, just enjoy it!