SEGA Removing "Poor" and "Average" Sonic Titles From Retail

Liontamer

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/2010/10/sega-removing-poor-and-average-sonic-titles-from-retail/

I have to say, this was an interesting announcement.

Any thoughts on what should stay on store shelves?

OK, just looking through Metacritic, these games are being pulled (current gen only):

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

Sonic Unleashed

Sonic and the Black Knight

Sonic Classic Collection DS

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

Sonic and the Secret Rings

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

Sonic Rivals

Sonic Rivals 2

and these are staying:

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing

Sonic Rush

Sonic Rush Adventure

Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection

While Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure aren't the GREATEST, they are easily the best Sonic games to be released in a good long while- that is to say, they are really GOOD.

Heck, I'd even bite and say Rush 1 was fantastic.

When people clamor for a return to Sonics' roots, why do they always forget Rush and Rush Adventure, and the three good Sonic Advance titles?

Sonic Rush was the usual hold-right fest that Sonic Advance degenerated into starting with the second one, along with unpredictable trial-and-error spikes and bottomless pits. In addition to the stages just being really barren overall, barely any enemies around except those times when you are locked into a room and need to kill them all to proceed. It was far from one of the better Sonic games.

Unleashed is getting pulled?! That was such a great game, with the exception of most of the werehog levels.

S4 in less then a week and my xbox gave me the great E74 a few days ago and I have to wait two weeks for a new system to play it on.:(

On the plus side, I haven't been this productive in years. Music and work have been picking up for me nicely. Guess I gotta give something up....

That'll be it. Monday I am punching my boss in the back of the head. :-P

Geez, those are a lot of games. Even if they're awful, Sega acknowledging this is the first step in the right direction in what- 8 or 9 years? Ha.

... unless they think too many Sonic titles are just over saturating the market. Yeah, there are too many Sonic titles, but even worse there are too many bad Sonic titles.

I fondly remember the time when Sonic was in his heyday. Maybe this will lead to better Sonic games, and a return to what made the series great.

Not holding my breath though. Sega should just let the series air out a little; maybe that's what they're doing.

Eh, I still liked Sonic Rush and the advance titles. I saw Rush kinda for what the title is, a rush. It was fun to blast through the stages, and there were some good bosses here and there.

Anyhoo, you also have to remember that the original Sonic team hasn't worked on a Sonic game for how long now? Like, since Sonic Adventure 2 or something? (not sure).

The point is, much like the sad, sad story that is Rare, the group that made the series great is long gone.