SEGA Removing "Poor" and "Average" Sonic Titles From Retail

Liontamer

Nah, they're just finally getting their marketing department to take MKTG201 classes. It's true that having so many Sonic titles out at the same time is cannibalizing their product line. In my personal opinion, basically anyone who buys a Sonic game these days is going to buy all of them, since that's the only audience they really had left until Sonic 4 was announced. However, this is a bad idea to do in hindsight, simply because they should have thought ahead before overpopulating the Sonic series with these games in the first place. Removing them now just confirms all of those mistakes that people have been saying they've made for years.

Or maybe they're just preparing for the Sonic not-so-classic Collection to release containing all those games, and make even more money :nicework:

From that same article:

So what should we do with that leftover space? I suddenly had an epiphany! It said to me ... "SE-GA!" It came from our TV commercials, and that became the game's startup sound. [...] But seriously, that sound alone took up 1/8 of the 4 megabit ROM! Ah, those were the days...

This sounds like the old PC CD-ROM games where the pre-bink CGA/QVGA intro sequences were like 50 megs and the games about 20, and the pre-mp3 soundtracks took up the rest of the discs. Only not quite as bad.

Nah, they're just finally getting their marketing department to take MKTG201 classes. It's true that having so many Sonic titles out at the same time is cannibalizing their product line. In my personal opinion, basically anyone who buys a Sonic game these days is going to buy all of them, since that's the only audience they really had left until Sonic 4 was announced. However, this is a bad idea to do in hindsight, simply because they should have thought ahead before overpopulating the Sonic series with these games in the first place. Removing them now just confirms all of those mistakes that people have been saying they've made for years.

Or maybe they're just preparing for the Sonic not-so-classic Collection to release containing all those games, and make even more money :nicework:

... ohgodforbid. But in all honesty, I think Sonic 4 is the smartest thing they have done for the Sonic franchise because it has gained such a bad reputation from all of those bad games being released in such a short amount of time. You've got it right when they say there was an over-saturation of crap in the Sonic market, and they're actually realizing their mistakes. Go common sense!

I was going to make my own topic trying to see who actually likes current Sonic but I think its better if this post just gets lost among all the "current Sonic stuff is crap" sentiment.

While I respect the opinions of all the old Sonic fans (and new ones that like the old games better). I want to know. Is there ANYONE out there besides me that doesn't mind 3d Sonic games (that already exist?).

My first TRUE owned Sonic game was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. I went forwards and backwards from there. With SADX I got to play some of the original game gear versions.

I haven't played every new Sonic game (especially spin offs) but I never really had any of the problems with the ones I have played.

I liked Unleashed (PS2). I enjoyed the day and the night levels. They reminded me of the Knuckles stages from SA2B just with more fighting.

I love SA2B (obviously) and SADX. I never really had any complaints with Sonic Heroes and I DID like shooting things in Shadow the Hedgehog.

Are the current games just really not fun or is everyone caught up with just not liking them because they aren't the same as the old days? I can play Halo and fall through a floor (heck its an accepted glitch in Blood Gulch). I can play Super Mario 64 DS and its A-OK that you have multiple characters in that game. Final Fantasy XIII is more linear than all of the ones before (so I hear). Resident Evil 4+ went with an over-the-shoulder camera.

So all of these franchises can add gimmicks or gameplay changing things and its considered the series evolving but whenever Sonic does it, it's wrong...

If I have one complaint...it's chao garden's don't exist anymore...

I enjoyed SA2B quite a bit. I didn't like the Chao's Garden stufff, though - it was just too maintenance oriented. I can't say I enjoyed the others (I played Secret Rings, and... it sucked pretty hard).

Well SA2B is probably my favorite but if I compare it to say Sonic Unleashed, very few of the Sonic levels felt as fast as those in Sonic Unleashed and Knuckles/Rouge levels were simply ok to me compared to the werehog where I could go full on combat like.

I never owned a Dreamcast, but I had the 2 adventure games on the Gamecube. I really enjoyed both of them, and I even enjoyed Heroes, until the physics glitches made it impossible to get past this area without dying. That was the beginning of the end for me. My favorite is still CD, closely followed by 3&K.

My first system was a Game Gear, so I love most of the super-old ones as well.

I also remember the summer before Adventure 1 came out, I had made a Sonic-themed board game called "Sonic Adventure", and was kinda pissed to hear SonicTeam stole my name.

I liked Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, and I actually thought Heroes was okay. Heroes has the speed of the Sonic stages from SA1 and 2, level designs are fairly clever, and the soundtrack is great (the glitches and finicky camera kinda suck, but they're not really game breakers.)

Shadow The Hedgehog was the turning point for me: Stupid story, terrible "morality" and gun-toting mechanics, worse voice acting than the first 3 games, and bad glitches. The soundtrack again was good, but that wasn't enough to save it. After that, things went downhill with '06. Secret Rings and Black Knight did a small bit to bring the series back to being at least decent (Unleashed less so), but I just haven't had the same interest in the 3D Sonic games since Heroes.

Chao Garden is actually a pretty good reason to play SA2B

That, and escape from metal harbor stage. I loved that music, very ska like sound...

Watching the video Bleck posted...

Great job catching those bugs and glitches Sega, you sure know how to keep screwing up!

In regards to Sonic 4, I'm not paying 15 bucks for 4 stages. Let me know when the games compiled completely, then I'll think about buying it...

So all of these franchises can add gimmicks or gameplay changing things and its considered the series evolving but whenever Sonic does it, it's wrong...

I don't know much about the Dreamcast games, but the major complaints come from the fact that, when recent Sonic games added new stuff, it was either badly implemented or felt completely forced.

Me, I didn't enjoy any of the 3D Sonic games I played, except for Unleashed (and 3D Blast, if we're counting that one).

I think Sonic Colours, and not Sonic 4, is the path the series should take from now on. At this point, I haven't played either, and limited myself to only a few gameplay videos, by the way.

Also, old Sonic games had occasional glitches, too. I remember being stuck in a wall in Scrap Brain Zone, and had to wait until the timer had elapsed in order to restart the stage. Those long, 10 Sonic-Minutes were a pain to sit through.

I don't know much about the Dreamcast games, but the major complaints come from the fact that, when recent Sonic games added new stuff, it was either badly implemented or felt completely forced.

Me, I didn't enjoy any of the 3D Sonic games I played, except for Unleashed (and 3D Blast, if we're counting that one).

I think Sonic Colours, and not Sonic 4, is the path the series should take from now on. At this point, I haven't played either, and limited myself to only a few gameplay videos, by the way.

I haven't played either as well, and probably won't for a long time. But in the end, all I care about is whether it is fun for me or not and most of them have been.

Also, old Sonic games had occasional glitches, too. I remember being stuck in a wall in Scrap Brain Zone, and had to wait until the timer had elapsed in order to restart the stage. Those long, 10 Sonic-Minutes were a pain to sit through.

lol that happened to me in one of the Sonic the Hedgehog (Game Gear) bonus stages on SADX. I was stuck in an endless loop of bouncing between the wall and the bumper.

It's not really the matter of changing things or evolving things that's the problem, it's the lack of technical polish that's pervaded Sonic games since Sonic Adventure. 3D Sonic games are historically glitchy, have bad collision detection, and suffer from a myriad of camera problems, and they got worse with each new iteration. Sonic Heroes and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) were particularly bad. 3D Sonic games simply were not well-made. Unleashed was better, but it still had issues in the night levels (which were a bad idea altogether).

I played Sonic Colors at NYCC. It's a step in the right direction. I didn't notice any weird glitches, I never got inexplicably caught on some level geometry, and the camera was pretty solid. In terms of gameplay, it's very much in the same vein as Sonic Rush and the day levels of Unleashed, in that it's a speed-run game; meaning, you're going to have to memorize the levels and play them a bunch of times in order to figure out the fastest and best way through them. It's not really an exploring platformer like the old Genesis/MD games, which is probably something we won't ever see again, as long as DIMPS is developing Sonic games.

Personally I don't mind; I like the Rush approach to Sonic, and I played the two Rush games quite a bit.