SEGA Removing "Poor" and "Average" Sonic Titles From Retail

Liontamer

Did anyone of you ever consider the fact that it isn't possible to emulate Sonic's genesis physics when the game isn't on the genesis? Just look at NSMBWii. Did Mario have his physics from the original SMB? No. Point me to a platformer that feels exactly the same as an old one, but uses a different game engine, different console, and different graphics.

If it's not possible, then Sega shouldn't be claiming it...

Just look at NSMBWii. Did Mario have his physics from the original SMB? No.

this analogy doesn't work because NSMB Wii isn't a piece of shit

granted I am being a little harsh but if you're going to call a game fucking SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 4 it needs to have some semblance of originality and actually be a satisfying gaming experience

and a satisfying gaming experience this is NOT

Did anyone of you ever consider the fact that it isn't possible to emulate Sonic's genesis physics when the game isn't on the genesis? Just look at NSMBWii. Did Mario have his physics from the original SMB? No. Point me to a platformer that feels exactly the same as an old one, but uses a different game engine, different console, and different graphics.

It may not be realistic to do a 300% carbon copy of the original engine down to the last bit of code, but it's sure possible to get a hell of a lot further than what Sega has mustered so far. It's pretty much tradition by now that disgruntled fans will outdo any of the official efforts, like the notorious GBA port of the first game.

You ever program a fangame before?

Numbers can be easy things to remember and replicate.

yes, Numbers but not the game it self, as the feel will be diffrent, but i respect sega for trying, as programing any game is not easy.

people will hate sonic, well just cause its sonic and make Bs complaints about nearly EVERY sonic game that comes out but i do agree that the physics in sonic 4 are not to realistic like the originals.

its the same story with mario as well so really.....

This is an official, paid product made by professional developers.

This is what a single guy came up with in 2 months.

right, thats sort of what im saying, well its a port which i'v seen b4 thats excellent but not what i mean, im saying is from scratch.... well not scratch cause most games are OOP but not the case, even if the code was great, the stages in the game may not utilize it to the best.

and i dont know why the term ''professional'' exsist in som things, even in music. an single person can make an product as good or better then a person with a title just because they have there items shown in public? i hate that.

**following not about classics and sidescrollers (that i love so much)**

plus sega has internal problems of to things that MAY be the following, a half ass team, they got s**t load of deadlines,student programmers new to deving straight from school, or just trying to make a quick buck. altho they may have gotten some 3D games right (as the team after half of sonic devs at sega left).

i really wonder how sonic(3D) came from sonic adventure 1,2 to sonic 06 and sonic wii(s),then to the half Good sonic unleashed to werhog to the emo music band for the theme (same as sonic colors).

and i would love my deathegg story line back with eggman damit or eggman as the main villin. and l would LOVE to spin dash :(

sega need to step there game up, they need to realize sonic is one of the most or the most looked at Icon to gaming like mario. and stop releasing s**ty console shockwave arcade games!

Did anyone of you ever consider the fact that it isn't possible to emulate Sonic's genesis physics when the game isn't on the genesis? Point me to a platformer that feels exactly the same as an old one, but uses a different game engine, different console, and different graphics.

There's a problem with that statement. Namely, if physics are created, then they can also be tweaked and adjusted. Animations can be made to play faster, hang time in the air can be shortened, and many changes can be done to more closely resemble what people are talking about when it comes to the original Genesis games' "feel." It's then up to the programmers to make those changes. If they don't, then they were either going for a different feel, were pressed for time, or they were just too damn lazy to do it. Which one the programmers of Sonic 4 fall under is anyone's guess.

In other words, it's very, very possible. It's simply a matter of having the time/will to do it.

sonic 4 on metacritic.com

the only reasonable conclusion is that sega is sending the press free prostitutes and candy

Nintendo Life: "The fans who clamoured for a "proper" Sonic adventure will be thrilled by Sonic 4"

Yeah uh, about that...

Really, I'm not terribly surprised by more popular review-based sites and magazines giving it a decent-to-high score; after that Kane & Lynch fiasco a couple years ago, I get the impression many are just trying to keep their job and don't want to rock the boat.

"Sonic 4 feels like a wierd, Flash-based version of Sonic 1 & 2 made by a fan who took a course in video game design" is a very apt description of the game. It makes me wonder just WHO they got to program this game and why, of all things, they managed to bungle such a high-profile, anticipated release such as this.

Maybe episode 2 and beyond will fix things for the better, but I don't have my hopes up.

Whoever brought up Mega Man 9 and 10 didn't pay attention. I said different graphics, remember? Even Contra 4 doesn't pass for a 100% carbon copy. I would never say that it doesn't feel like a Contra game, but, if you're being technical, you can tell it doesn't feel exactly like The Alien Wars. Just saying.

Come on people, Sega did the right thing with Sonic 4. It wasn't perfect, but it's a train of thought they need to follow and perfect if Sonic is going to make a come back. If they abandon the 2-D sidescroller, because nobody thinks they are capable of doing it, they might as well retire Sonic for good.

With the success of Megaman 9/10, you know they have to have considered just basing the game on Sonic 3 sprites/gameplay instead of redoing everything. I wonder what made them not follow the Capcom course? (I mean besides incompetence.) EDIT: Eh, answered by Wikipedia.

Also, is there a Wii demo of this available? I'm interested in playing it but not interested enough to pay for it.

I said different graphics, remember?

do you like not understand how video games work or something

the thing about the engine in the genesis sonics is that it is well written

the thing about the engine in sonic 4 is that it is not

are you somehow implying that games are incapable of having well written physics engines if they are not on the genesis

or are you saying it is impossible for any kind of engine programming to be duplicated in any way shape or form

either way, you're being dumb

So after watching this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-1cGzPn3E

and reading through this thread (the parts regarding Sonic 4), I've come to the conclusion that die hard Sonic fans are just wishy-washy crybabies.

I've never been a huge Sonic fan, but I have played through most of the originals and some of the more recent games. Honestly I don't think any of them are really that great, nor that bad but I've never gone through a new game in a series that I do enjoy (like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.) and cry foul and call the game 'shit' when the smallest details of the in-game physics are changed. OH GOD HELP US we need to hold a button down now to sustain our X velocity!

Come on people, Sega did the right thing with Sonic 4. It wasn't perfect, but it's a train of thought they need to follow and perfect if Sonic is going to make a come back. If they abandon the 2-D sidescroller, because nobody thinks they are capable of doing it, they might as well retire Sonic for good.

I agree that the IDEA of Sonic 4 is good... however, the execution of it by Sega is pretty poor. :/

are you somehow implying that games are incapable of having well written physics engines if they are not on the genesis

I don't see why anyone would think this; it's merely just a fact that developers pay too much attention to graphics now and not enough to a clear (NON BUGGY) engine.

The (BUGGY IN SONIC 4) homing attack is a (BUGGY IN SONIC 4) integration of an (BUGGY IN SONIC 4) idea that was introduced after the genesis games, but since they wanted to put such a popular (BUGGY IN SONIC 4) Sonic attack in the new game, it's like they had to rewrite the engine to accommodate it. I don't know much about game development, but I'm pretty sure they didn't have to do that. In fact, I'd prefer classic Sonic without (BUGGY IN SONIC 4) homing attacks. They draw more attention to jumping, pressing A in front of enemies, and doing precision jumps at springs.

And in just the demo, the first level is pretty short and the design isn't really that interesting, I really liked Sonic 3 because every one of the levels was never "press right and jump occasionally to win", but that is indeed exactly what the Sonic 4 level is like in the demo.

Sega did the right thing with Sonic 4.

if this sonic 4 is the only option, then the "right thing" would've been to not release it all, nor even create it in the first place

that much more attention to sonic colors

everyone loved the day levels in sonic unleashed because they were really well-made

my money says colors is the sonic game we've all ACTUALLY been waiting for and sega's marketing strategy is compiled from assorted stool samples