SEGA Removing "Poor" and "Average" Sonic Titles From Retail

Liontamer

maybe sega needs to stop listening to there fans for awhile, because when they did not they made sonic adventure series, when they did they made sonic 06(which was a solid for me) and warehog(which got boring FAST). hmmmmmmmm.

the dumb complaining sonic fans at sega fourms,reviwer critics, and fan sites need to realize there gunna make the games worst if they keep naging on what they want and let the devers make there own desicion. the only thing sonic fans should work on is how to get sonic to the good ol' classic sonic vs robotnic storys or robotnic related storys, not stupid pussy looking villans, and what the hell is up with theses horrible punk emo bands, crush 40 is obviously the best game hard rock band and they already have that signature sonic sound for music...... SERIOUSLY!

and raise ur hand if you want a death egg stoyline, death egg zones were gorgeous!

/HandisRaised

maybe sega needs to stop listening to there fans for awhile, because when they did not they made sonic adventure series, when they did they made sonic 06(which was a solid for me) and warehog(which got boring FAST). hmmmmmmmm.

the dumb complaining sonic fans at sega fourms,reviwer critics, and fan sites need to realize there gunna make the games worst if they keep naging on what they want and let the devers make there own desicion. the only thing sonic fans should work on is how to get sonic to the good ol' classic sonic vs robotnic storys or robotnic related storys, not stupid pussy looking villans, and what the hell is up with theses horrible punk emo bands, crush 40 is obviously the best game hard rock band and they already have that signature sonic sound for music...... SERIOUSLY!

and raise ur hand if you want a death egg stoyline, death egg zones were gorgeous!

/HandisRaised

Your posts cause me physical pain.

Look, you're not even bringing up any solid points here. Developers SHOULD listen to fans--that is the entire problem with a lot of games nowadays--but they need to do so selectively. If they listened to every single fan and tried to implement everything we'd get a horrible chaos spawn of a mess.

Fans wanted classic gameplay. They failed to deliver what they promised. The whole team needs to think this over very, very thoroughly and implement changes to the next few episodes by listening to the fans and figuring out what did and did not work. If episode 2 is just a carbon copy of 1, without any engine updates, then they clearly don't give a damn.

It is the fans and fans alone that make a series, and without them there wouldn't BE a game at all. Continuing this progressive insult towards them will only sink the Sonic franchise further into a miring pile of shit.

Speaking as a crazed Sonic Fan who just played a few minutes of Sonic 4:

Sonic 4 was almost a complete disappointment (I still have to give SEGA props for at least teasing us with an "old school" feel).

Speaking as a normal Sonic fan who just played a few minutes of Sonic 4:

This game makes Sonic look bad because several parts of the game play require no more skill other than holding down the Right directional button and occasionally jumping up.

Speaking as a typical gamer who just played a few minutes of Sonic 4:

"HD" doesn't make everything better, and using "old school" sounds and music sometimes will make people prefer to play the game on mute... or not even play the game at all.

Speaking as a human who just played a few minutes of Sonic 4:

What the heck just happened? Am I dead?

overall, regardless if you're a Sonic fan or not I would personally recommend that you only get this game for a collector's item or out of sheer boredom. It's not really an engaging platform/adventure/hold-down-one-button game at all (IMO). I will admit that it's a good game for little children (whenever I babysit my younger cousins I sometimes let them play VGs, and surprisingly they liked this game a lot).

oh yeah... and I've never seen Rayman, Spyro, Crash, Mario, Ratchet, Sly, or Jak fans complain this much about their respective games. Maybe this time the Sonic fans aren't overreacting?:wink:

Speaking as a crazed Sonic Fan who just played a few minutes of Sonic 4:

Sonic 4 was almost a complete disappointment (I still have to give SEGA props for at least teasing us with an "old school" feel).

Speaking as a normal Sonic fan who just played a few minutes of Sonic 4:

This game makes Sonic look bad because several parts of the game play require no more skill other than holding down the Right directional button and occasionally jumping up.

Speaking as a typical gamer who just played a few minutes of Sonic 4:

"HD" doesn't make everything better, and using "old school" sounds and music sometimes will make people prefer to play the game on mute... or not even play the game at all.

Speaking as a human who just played a few minutes of Sonic 4:

What the heck just happened? Am I dead?

overall, regardless if you're a Sonic fan or not I would personally recommend that you only get this game for a collector's item or out of sheer boredom. It's not really an engaging platform/adventure/hold-down-one-button game at all (IMO). I will admit that it's a good game for little children (whenever I babysit my younger cousins I sometimes let them play VGs, and surprisingly they liked this game a lot).

oh yeah... and I've never seen Rayman, Spyro, Crash, Mario, Ratchet, Sly, or Jak fans complain this much about their respective games. Maybe this time the Sonic fans aren't overreacting?:wink:

You know I'd like for them to take the Sonic 3 engine and just make new levels and new music and a new plot. (not like a cinematic plot, but a plot like sonic 3 had. chase eggman, get all chaos emeralds, get master emerald back, etc.)

If they manage to screw THAT up they really are incompetent.

It's been awhile since I've been here. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't quoted while I was gone :D Though this has sort of turned into a Sonic 4 love/hate thread, I just wanna say I'll probably never play Sonic 4 because its a downloadable game anyway. I'll give colors a shot if I'm able.

What? That makes no sense. The complaint that some people have with Sonic 4 is that they have too much control over the game physics, and that makes it somehow unrealistic or 'weird'.

My point was that it was already unrealistic in the original Sonic games, so the complaint that it doesn't obey the normal laws is bogus because the entire topic entirely subjective. If you have a problem with too much control, then why don't you have a problem with unnatural changes in direction and momentum in jump physics for example?

I like that post. As far as what I've seen of that Sonic 4 video talking about the physics, anyone consider, maybe...just maybe Sonic got better shoes? Or finally learned to control his speed a little more since the third game?

I'm not joking about the shoes bit though. It's happened before.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Labyrinth

And for the record, I had fun with Sonic Unleashed (PS2). It wasn't perfect, but it was far more playable than Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Heroes in my opinion.

I'M NOT ALONE AFTER ALL!

...there are those of us out there that are just passionate. I feel the same way about the CastleVania series... which has yet to really do me wrong....

Funny you mention: I've seen it happen with Castlevania, and it's kind of a sad development. It's referred to as "Metroid-vania" now, and some are actually blaming "Symphony of the Night" for taking it in this direction. I shake my head and move on.

The most vocal opposition is likely not true fandom, sorta like those who scream about how much they hate the Simpsons, but watch every new episode so they can come online and tell you how much it sucked. The type who can't wait to be first in a thread with the most tired, most unoriginal snide comment against the franchise before actual discussion begins. Positive opinion is ignored and/or dismissed, and the revisionist history continues.

There is such a thing as passion to a fault, however. I don't have much faith in the collective fandom to look at any of these titles with an open mind anymore. Saddest part is, I came to this conclusion in 2004. I also knew the fans wouldn't accept any liability for this one: are we pretending the "Needlemouse" poll didn't exist now? Did they or did they not utilize fan feedback?

Funny you mention: I've seen it happen with Castlevania, and it's kind of a sad development. It's referred to as "Metroid-vania" now, and some are actually blaming "Symphony of the Night" for taking it in this direction. I shake my head and move on.

Maybe because it is and maybe because it did?

Maybe?

The comparison between SotN and Metroid is made plain with even the most cursory glance at how SotN is lain out, map-wise. What with all of the vertical movement and backtracking that was not present in earlier Castlevania games. Even the map system itself is damned similar with rooms being divided up into square map units that are automatically filled up as you explore.

Secondly, I don't know how you can even argue against the idea that SotN changed the series utterly. How many Castlevania games released after SotN have returned to the classic, clunky whipy-whip belmont-feels-like-a-brick style gameplay? (don't get me wrong I fucking love that style) The only one I know of is The Dracula X Chronicles and that is basically a remake of Rondo of Blood. (Granted, the only 3D Castlevania I've ever played is Lords of Shadow, but I can't even imagine how those would begin to work in the same style.) I don't see how "blaming" SotN can be seen as a complaining factor since both proponents and opponents of the "metroidvania" style of gameplay can agree that SotN did, in fact, steer the series in a completely different direction.

I don't see how it's sad if someone's stating the obvious.

[/tangent]

anyway can we just hurry up and agree that neither non-sonic-fans nor sonic-fans are qualified to make quality statements regarding sonic games since they are obviously above reproach

anyway can we just hurry up and agree that neither non-sonic-fans nor sonic-fans are qualified to make quality statements regarding sonic games since they are obviously above reproach

So, discounting two opposing, yet equally valid possible points of view, for an impartial middle-ground that really couldn't give a shit is the way to go, eh?

So, discounting two opposing, yet equally valid possible points of view, for an impartial middle-ground that really couldn't give a shit is the way to go, eh?

The point (i think) Gollgagh is trying to make is that if points are being discounted because they're by bitchy Sonic fans then points can also be discounted by non sonic fans because they don't know what they're talking about or something along those lines.

I could just be completely wrong tho

The point (i think) Gollgagh is trying to make is that if points are being discounted because they're by bitchy Sonic fans then points can also be discounted by non sonic fans because they don't know what they're talking about or something along those lines.

I could just be completely wrong tho

Once could also argue the fact that I don't think that there are said dirty-sonic fanboys in this thread... just people worried about the continued mishandling of a once unstoppable franchise.

The Sonic series, for years, has been in steep decline. And it's not only in threads such as this where people have voiced their concern for not only the franchise, but for SEGA and Sonic Team in general. it's come up time and time again in print media, online gaming publications, TV, hell even within the industry itself...

I tried, again, last night to play Sonic Unleashed... with an open mind, thinking that I could somehow find something of worth in that title. I couldn't do it. Same goes for Sonic 4... I just couldn't get past the odd mechanics. I could handle it if these games felt different... if they just displayed a little consistency. But the only consistency most recent Sonic games contain is that they all feel completely misguided at best, and nigh on broken at worst.

The same cannot be said for franchises of a similar age that are still in the public eye. Bionic Commando Re-Armed got what was great about the original title. New Mario titles, whether 2D or 3D, still understand what makes the franchise great. OutRun 2 contained drastically different mechanics than the original OutRun, but it, above all else, knew what made and OutRun game so great... a total and welcome evolution of a classic franchise that brought the name OutRun back with complete and utter vengeance.

SEGA got a lot right in Sonic 4. Overall atmosphere was that of a Sonic game. But when you break it down, all the atmosphere and superficial similarities in the world don't count for anything when the fundamentals just aren't there.

If SEGA had got it right, people would be singing there praises back and forth till the cows come home. But right now, there isn't that buzz. At all. It's like the game got a weeks worth of publicity, and now, it's just disappeared into the quagmire of forgotten downloadable titles. For a game that recieved so much pre-release hype and buzz, none of that momentum has been retained following the release of the game.

Kinda ironic that...

SEGA got a lot right in Sonic 4. Overall atmosphere was that of a Sonic game. But when you break it down, all the atmosphere and superficial similarities in the world don't count for anything when the fundamentals just aren't there.

What SEGA needs now is what they needed to make the originals fun. Genesis didn't have super HD graphics, so they had to make up for it in great level design and great music (and great physics). If they went back to that state of less graphics and more game, it would be golden.

I tried, again, last night to play Sonic Unleashed... with an open mind, thinking that I could somehow find something of worth in that title. I couldn't do it. Same goes for Sonic 4

Honestly, I doubt you came to those games with an open mind. You've already played them, and drawn conclusions about them. Then, you discussed them with others, and developed those conclusions further, based on those conversations. If there is a time when a person can play a game with an open mind, its during the first playthrough. And that only works IF the player has not made previous conclusions about the game, garnered from previews and other sources.

If SEGA had got it right, people would be singing there praises back and forth till the cows come home.

Get real. The Sonic fanbase will never let Sonic have his day, whether his game deserves it or not. Sonic is eternally condemned to be ridiculed and despised, without possibility of parole.

Having said that, remember that Sonic 4 is the highest rated Sonic game in years. How's that for praises?