Minecraft [1.7.2/4?]

Gollgagh

Plus, Notch said that he's scrapped the "floating islands require obsidian" idea. For now, anyway.

But yeah, just don't stand under the block you're mining. If there's sand or gravel blocks above that one, they'll fall once the block is removed. Not to mention the possibility of water or, worse, lava falling on top of you.

Oh, and I had another scare earlier today. I was mining near the bottom of Mineshaft 2 when dug my way into the side of a cavern. IMMEDIATELY I hear "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" and of course I'm like, "Back up, BACK UP!" But it was too late. KABOOM. Literally in my face. I'm down to three hearts because of that, and then immediately an arrow plants itself into the stone two inches from my head. I bravely ran away. And sealed the passage behind me until I could heal myself.

And this is just on Normal.

Plus, Notch said that he's scrapped the "floating islands require obsidian" idea. For now, anyway.

But yeah, just don't stand under the block you're mining. If there's sand or gravel blocks above that one, they'll fall once the block is removed. Not to mention the possibility of water or, worse, lava falling on top of you.

I can't even count the number of times I've dodged out from under blocks falling on me with crazy cat-like reflexes. The best time this happened was when I was messing with the dungeon creator. It made a dungeon in which part of the ceiling was gravel that hadn't fallen. I hit one piece, and the whole damn thing came down. I'm still not sure how I survived that.

i haven't found lava yet, unfortunately. as soon as i find it, i'm planning on building a new mineshaft based around that area specifically.

i might be abandoning my current place for an area that isn't so damn high up in the air. i built a bunker on the top of an awesome-looking mountain, but it's so annoying to have to climb down two hundred sets of stairs (circular, of course) to get to my main dig site deep beneath the earth.

Quite honestly, the metagaming accounts for a lot of the game's addictiveness. Public servers become battlegrounds, where countermeasures and strikes are made against the griefers. Honestly, making construction/deconstruction a sort of game mode might actually make sense; the griefers have places to do their thing, and those who are building aren't doing it for keeps.

I also want to see a survival based mode, either with pre-made maps or randomly generated ones. Basically, survive as long as you can, with records going up on high-score tables. The big difference from normal game mode is that you'd work in teams to accomplish things; you could have a miner, a crafter/woodsman, etc. It would make for some interesting competitions.

Throw in some Left4Dead zombie-play-type gameplay, where a group of opponents could spawn as monsters... and you have a recipe for awesome. But that's just me.

I would love that too. But then you still get griefers, which, unfortunately, would ruin the entire idea.

You can make the server private so that only people who know the address can log onto it. It's not fool-proof, but it will keep the majority of random assholes from wandering in and blowing everything up.

i haven't found lava yet, unfortunately. as soon as i find it, i'm planning on building a new mineshaft based around that area specifically.

i might be abandoning my current place for an area that isn't so damn high up in the air. i built a bunker on the top of an awesome-looking mountain, but it's so annoying to have to climb down two hundred sets of stairs (circular, of course) to get to my main dig site deep beneath the earth.

I had a similar problem...until I built a GLASS DIVING BOARD

MinecraftDivingBoard.png

Just make sure you have a clear drop into a pool of water (it has to be deep enough that your head goes under). Of course, getting back up is a different story.

you can also just give trusted members admin rights, and ban the shit out of the losers who grief.

Many public servers have that option. But griefers and bots tend to wait until everyone's gone before bombing a server, so you can't always rely on an admin being around. Password-protection or account-limitations seems to the safest bet, though I'm not sure if that capability's implemented yet...

I've been informed that there's interest in an OCR minecraft server.

I'm willing to run one on the same box we use for tf2 servers, but I need a ballpark headcount of who'd play there over the official server to see if it's worth the resources.

I'm in ;-)

I've been informed that there's interest in an OCR minecraft server.

I'm willing to run one on the same box we use for tf2 servers, but I need a ballpark headcount of who'd play there over the official server to see if it's worth the resources.

I plan to buy the game shortly and would be more then happy if a OCR server popped up. I just need to pump out a paper and do a couple of other things before that.