Minecraft [1.7.2/4?]

Gollgagh

Looks like somebody struck a nerve

Are you paying monthly donations for the Minecraft/TF2 server machine?

No?

I am. So are 33 other TF2 players.

So yes, it's not unreasonable for us to request the Minecraft server be killed if it's affecting the service we're paying for.

P.S. Technically, I don't have to ask... I'm the other person besides FireSlash who can shut it down.

No?

So yes, it's not unreasonable for us to request the Minecraft server be killed if it's affecting the service we're paying for.

P.S. Technically, I don't have to ask... I'm the other person besides FireSlash who can shut it down.

...isn't like a dollar or two a month?

so, is the server toast every night? because if it is, i'll not be able to play online any more.

No?

Powerlord has spoken!!!

But seriously, you'd think that a game like minecraft wouldn't take that much cpu to run...

Looks like I'm playing the Halolz TF2 server tonight... again

Powerlord has spoken!!!

But seriously, you'd think that a game like minecraft wouldn't take that much cpu to run...

Looks like I'm playing the Halolz TF2 server tonight... again

Minecraft's server is a serious oinker. I'm not sure what it's doing, but it sucks down CPU power and memory, plus does a lot of disk access.

It literally uses more resources than all 3 (4 if you count Spengboob, which is paying to host their TF2 server here, too) of our TF2 servers combined.

Edited by Powerlord
wtf, "combinated"?

Minecraft's server is a serious oinker. I'm not sure what it's doing, but it sucks down CPU power and memory, plus does a lot of disk access.

It literally uses more resources than all 3 (4 if you count Spengboob, which is paying to host their TF2 server here, too) of our TF2 servers combinated.

The Minecraft multiplayer server/client/whatever you call it is in an even more Alpha state than singleplayer, which is saying something. Technically, multiplayer isn't even "officially" supported yet by the creator; it was released simply because so many people were asking for it, apparently, and up until now he's only gone in to fix very serious, game-breaking bugs with it. As such, it's still very, very buggy and has a number of memory leaks, infinite loops and other such things eating resources. It should be much better when the game goes into Beta, which is defined as when multiplayer is fixed, and Notch has said that multiplayer is his main focus right now. So we'll see if we get any big fixes in the near future.

It literally uses more resources than all 3 (4 if you count Spengboob, which is paying to host their TF2 server here, too) of our TF2 servers combined.

Notch has admitted there are several MP bugs that need ironing out. He's made them top priority. Once MP is fixed up, Minecraft should shrink dramatically in CPU, memory and disk usage.

Some of the heavy CPU use is caused by generation of new terrain, which is understandably CPU intensive.

A large amount of the memory use is probably just to do with loading the maps, which can grow to be gigabytes in size, not because they're memory inefficient, but because they're huge.

Now, on top of this, there are a lot of other calculation and memory inefficiencies, but a large amount of that resource hogging is never going to go away, even when the multiplayer server code is fixed up as well as is possible.

Some of the heavy CPU use is caused by generation of new terrain, which is understandably CPU intensive.

A large amount of the memory use is probably just to do with loading the maps, which can grow to be gigabytes in size, not because they're memory inefficient, but because they're huge.

Now, on top of this, there are a lot of other calculation and memory inefficiencies, but a large amount of that resource hogging is never going to go away, even when the multiplayer server code is fixed up as well as is possible.

I wonder if the Beta or release version will let you limit the terrain size on multiplayer to keep system resource use in check.

so, i just checked the OCR TF2 stats page, and there are six people online. out of three servers.

good to see we're not clogging anything for you guys.

sorry for the double post.

TF2 is way more popular than six people on three servers.

i dont think that worked quite as well as the previous one did. sure, its way more popular than 6 people on 3 servers. but wouldnt that just imply that there should be way more people on those 3 servers... or maybe its just those 3 servers that arent that popular. and as such... i really want a "meet the doctor". because meet the spy, meet the sniper, and meet the scout. were the greatest things outside of pixar.

i dont think that worked quite as well as the previous one did. sure, its way more popular than 6 people on 3 servers. but wouldnt that just imply that there should be way more people on those 3 servers... or maybe its just those 3 servers that arent that popular. and as such... i really want a "meet the doctor". because meet the spy, meet the sniper, and meet the scout. were the greatest things outside of pixar.

Please don't feed the trolls.