Minecraft [1.7.2/4?]

Gollgagh

blue = diamond block (fucking cheater)

What? Really? Without access to the different colored cloth blocks, we're stuck with grey, a slightly different grey, and brown. Duping some diamond blocks to get anything other than grey seems pretty OK with me. It's not like gold and diamond are used for anything besides tools, and since you can just toss a worn out tool and then pick it up again to restore it to full, it's not like it's game-breaking. Maybe if diamond had some really important use or did something really cool. But since we don't even have any monsters and damage is turned off, it's not like having diamond armor means anything.

Hell, when Fireslash was running the last server, he handed lots of stuff out like it was Halloween candy. I must have been given two trunk-fulls of cloth cubes, and nobody said anything about it.

Yeah, the servers haven't been updated yet apparently. Their news page states they are going to apply the update as soon as possible.

Crowbar has made a snapshot of the world and distribution of resources. He will probably post that later. There is so much of the world left for us to explore.

As for duping, I'm not crazy about it and considering we don't have root access to this server, if we bork something up with our duping we will have to file a support ticket and wait. I'd really rather not have anyone duping and we construct things on our own efforts. I want to make a place out of Obsidian and I am going to have to do alooooot of mining.

Edited by Meeting_Gman

Minecarts shouldn't despawn, since they're handled by the server, not the client. The reason boats despawned before was because they were handled by the individual clients, but that's been changed with this update, it seems.

And I vote no on boosters. I prefer not relying on physics glitches that are likely to be fixed in the future. Plus, boosters look ugly. Powered minecarts are just as viable, they just require a little more work in laying down the tracks.

I want to make a place out of Obsidian and I am going to have to do alooooot of mining.

Already done. I have a layer of Obsidian outlining my (hidden) house. I used a manually created loop of water and lava to mine Obsidian infinitely. It's very simple but takes a long time as I can only mine one at a time.

And as for duping, ethic morals aside it does cause a bit of usage on the server so don't do it too much, or at all.

Where are you getting that from? And how much does it really affect anything?

The amount of data necessary to define an object in one inventory slot is not all that big. You've got two bytes to define the item number (since there are over 255 different item types) and one byte for the amount (since it's (artificially) limited to 64) for a total of three bytes, not counting how the game keeps track of inventory slots. So that's three extra bytes per item slot. That's so insignificant so as to be totally ignorable.

As for map size, each block is one block type and each chunk will be exactly the same size regardless of what normal blocks are in it. You could have a chunk with nothing but air blocks and a chunk with nothing but bedrock all the way up to the skytop and both chunks will be exactly the same datasize because they are using the same data block#@position# data. Only special blocks with extra variables assigned to them will be the only blocks that have a larger datasize, such as door blocks, sign blocks, torch blocks, and the like. So the only way duplicating would effect a larger map size would but if you made a huge amount of switches or something and placed them every damned place.

All of this is, of course, assuming that the way data is handled works as it seems to me.

The amount of players that are currently in the server faaaaar outstrips any increased memory usage that duplicating would effect.

I've heard people on other forums mention that the bug used to dupe items also causes weirdness to the world chunk the dupe happens in.

I don't know if that itself was fixed, or what level of corruption happens, I'm just going off what I hear.

Either way, the second you start spawning and duping stuff the game stops being fun.

Then put in some colored cloth blocks somewhere. Grey, black and brown make everything look flat and boring. Blue and yellow really help make things look nicer. Some variety would really help things out.

Also, I noticed that no one has any problems with admins or OPs handing out free blocks, despite that it's the same as duping: free items with no work put into it.

On the old server, there were people asking for blocks of all kinds left and right, and were getting them. Then they bitched about someone duping diamond blocks or smoothstone or even cobblestone for the highway project, despite the fact that it used more blocks than any of the bases anyone had made.

I find it pretty fucking insulting that some of those same people are here saying "oh no, please don't dupe, it ruins the game for everyone" with a straight face while some of us are struggling to get our blocks legitimately, and then find a way to get more purely decoratively blocks to make our bases something other than grey.

If diamond and gold did something besides add two more colors to the pallet, then yeah, that could be a problem. But since everyone already has diamond picks and axes, and can easily repair them just by picking them up again, I can't see what possible harm there is to making two other colors to build with.

On the old server, there were people asking for blocks of all kinds left and right, and were getting them. Then they bitched about someone duping diamond blocks or smoothstone or even cobblestone for the highway project, despite the fact that it used more blocks than any of the bases anyone had made.

I find it pretty fucking insulting that some of those same people are here saying "oh no, please don't dupe, it ruins the game for everyone" with a straight face while some of us are struggling to get our blocks legitimately, and then find a way to get more purely decoratively blocks to make our bases something other than grey.

If diamond and gold did something besides add two more colors to the pallet, then yeah, that could be a problem. But since everyone already has diamond picks and axes, and can easily repair them just by picking them up again, I can't see what possible harm there is to making two other colors to build with.

I'm not entirely against the admin handing out blocks because as much as it breaks the gameplay, it's still legit (I think.) Duping, on the other hand, is a glitch, and like all glitches there's a real chance of screwing up the game for everybody. I have to agree with The Damned on this one, it's bullshit to complain about handouts when without them we also wouldn't have TNT.

old server /= new server.

thanks for playing.