Minecraft [1.7.2/4?]

Gollgagh

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/2175441966/minecraft-beta-december-20-2010 ಠ_ಠ

Kinda douché to charge for the beta and not promise the final release, especially considering how much "polish" this game needs.

Edit: I am aware it says "all future versions of the game for free" and not "will not provide any future versions for free" but his wording gives a great deal of freedom to "not do shit".

Edited by phill

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/2175441966/minecraft-beta-december-20-2010 ಠ_ಠ

Kinda douché to charge for the beta and not promise the final release, especially considering how much "polish" this game needs.

Edit: I am aware it says "all future versions of the game for free" and not "will not provide any future versions for free" but his wording gives a great deal of freedom to "not do shit".

Quoted from the Facebook page:

Regardless of when you buy then game it is yours and you will NOT have to buy the game again once it is complete. However, those who buy the game during alpha will not have to pay anything for future expansions (if any). The reason for this is the promise Notch made to alpha customers about all future updates being included.

And no, simply adding content and recipes is not considered "expansion" in the Mojang world.

Well, it seemed rather clear: you get beta, you get anything up to the release, and after that bug fixes and general improvements.

But no expansion packs or DLC (and well, since none have been announced, I doubt it's really a problem at this point, it's just some ass covering.)

Seriously, the post is in English, I don't get how so many people interpreted is as : but beta Then buy release Then buy patches Then buy DLC.

Seems like some people go on right ahead and take the worse possible interpretation, even if it means ignoring parts of the message.

(Never read comments on Notch's blog, you just get bitter and hateful.)

game still has some basic elements that dont work and we're moving off alpha? Funny. Oh well, the last few updates things have moved forward instead of backwards, so heres hoping they'll continue

Edit: New map btw, Abadoss made it look retarded though.

also added you Sag Ee Mana

Edited by Crowbar Man

game still has some basic elements that dont work and we're moving off alpha? Funny.

What? I don't know of a single other game where the alpha is or has been even remotely playable. Beta is usually the stage where developers open it up to the testers so they can polish all the bugs out. What's funny is that it's actually a game you can play in it's current state. =P

Beta is usually the stage where developers open it up to the testers so they can polish all the bugs out.

Er, did you read my post, including what you quoted? We are NOT to the point of "polish and get the little bugs out" by a long shot, in SMP at least. We are "game is near unplayable if you turn mobs on, and still missing most features". Minecarts, a staple of the game, still dont even work right last we tested them. A game you can KINDA play hardly equates moving off Alpha status, most Beta's are almost completed products these days

Also, you've never played a game where an Alpha was in a playable state? Odd, at some point the Alpha would have to be playable at some point to become Beta

Edited by Crowbar Man

Well, SSP is the "main game" as far as Notch is concerned, and most of the SMP issues don't exist in SSP. So SSP has been Beta-ready for a while now, Notch has just wanted to iron out some of the larger bugs in SMP before bringing the whole game into Beta status officially. At least, that's what I've gathered from his posts.

What? I don't know of a single other game where the alpha is or has been even remotely playable. Beta is usually the stage where developers open it up to the testers so they can polish all the bugs out. What's funny is that it's actually a game you can play in it's current state. =P

Generally, when developing software the beta period is used to refine and polish a more or less finalized feature set where as alpha is used to implement features and make sure core features work. SSP has been walking the line between Alpha and Beta for some time, it's a pretty solid game. Now, prior to alpha, you essentially have a prototype where if anything works its a bloody miracle and that is where SMP sits right now. You can decompile java classes fairly easily and when you read through the server code, its a mess, its a bigger mess then you would normally get when decompiling java code.

You can decompile java classes fairly easily and when you read through the server code, its a mess, its a bigger mess then you would normally get when decompiling java code.

It's been getting better over time, though, if the recent updates are any indication (i.e. less stuff breaks when things are changed). I think the initial mess was caused by Notch pretty much throwing together the multiplayer functions haphazardly with repurposed SSP code when the community started demanding multiplayer gameplay. This happened when SSP was definitely in an early-Alpha state, and SMP was largely ignored for some time. So you've got repurposed single-player code used for multiplayer, and it's largely based on the very early Alpha SSP code that hasn't been kept up to date with the SSP development. Frankly, I'm not surprised at all that it's a mess. Would it have been better if he'd spent a little more time at the beginning putting together a better code base for SMP so it wouldn't be so crazily structured now? Of course. But SMP was an afterthought at the time, and now he's paying for it. I can forgive him for some of the issues, keeping that all in mind, but of course I won't tolerate it forever.

Edited by HalcyonSpirit

I do agree that SSP is playable and probably ready for Beta status, but theres a huge fanbase for SMP which is definately not. IMO, both parts should be playable with complete feature sets before calling it "Beta" but I guess Notch doesn't feel the same. Probably just because he wants to raise the price for newcomers =P

It's been getting better over time, though, if the recent updates are any indication (i.e. less stuff breaks when things are changed). I think the initial mess was caused by Notch pretty much throwing together the multiplayer functions haphazardly with repurposed SSP code when the community started demanding multiplayer gameplay. This happened when SSP was definitely in an early-Alpha state, and SMP was largely ignored for some time. So you've got repurposed single-player code used for multiplayer, and it's largely based on the very early Alpha SSP code that hasn't been kept up to date with the SSP development. Frankly, I'm not surprised at all that it's a mess. Would it have been better if he'd spent a little more time at the beginning putting together a better code base for SMP so it wouldn't be so crazily structured now? Of course. But SMP was an afterthought at the time, and now he's paying for it. I can forgive him for some of the issues, keeping that all in mind, but of course I won't tolerate it forever.

The most recent patches may not break anything or in a few cases :P fix problem, but that doesn't mean they are good patches or that they address some of the larger problems with SMP. Is the best solution to a picture that keeps falling off the wall a nail through the frame? For the most part, I don't think the broken game mechanics in SMP are that big of a deal, it is the method the server and client use to handle game mechanics that is the issue. Boats work just fine, it is how the client and server handle communication with regards to boats that is broken, and to get it to work correctly, Notch and his team will have to rewrite a decent chunk of code. That's not something you would normally do in beta, sure if it came out of left field you'd rewrite the code, but this is a pretty glaring issue in the "alpha" stage.

I probably wouldn't bitch so much if I hadn't paid €10 for it and if I couldn't read the code for myself.

I do agree that SSP is playable and probably ready for Beta status, but theres a huge fanbase for SMP which is definately not. IMO, both parts should be playable with complete feature sets before calling it "Beta" but I guess Notch doesn't feel the same. Probably just because he wants to raise the price for newcomers =P

^^this

I am in total agreement.

Also bare in mind that much of what actually works on the multiplayer side is made possible by fan mods.