Minecraft [1.7.2/4?]

Gollgagh

java is a load of crap. i've done every damned extension and parameter adjustment in the java console in control panel i can find, and nothing changes the amount of available memory or total memory.

at some point i found a simple runtime command that i put in a shortcut to minecraft, but i can't remember what i did or find it in my history for some reason. frustrating to the extreme. i can't use any texture packs that are actually nice-looking as a result because it insta-crashes every time.

I did. Still happened.I even went to see if I had to update, and nope, that's not it either.

It's a common problem related to how many chunks are loaded at a time. Turn your view distance down a notch or two so fewer chunks are loaded at a time; that usually fixes it. Naturally, if you're using higher-res texture packs, that's going to reduce the number of chunks you can safely load even further.

So, you're back to Minecraft?

:D yay more leaving-party/givaways

Hey there now, I'm not that crazy. Last time I played online, I was one of the top three players in terms of time on the server. I was on constantly.

I gotta pace myself.

Though, in my exploring of the new game stuff, I came across an underground canyon. It was about forty blocks across, at least eighty down, and it stretched beyond my viewing distance on each side (and I'm running things kind of high). In it were waterfalls facing opposite to lavafalls, hanging iron ore deposits (like giant stalactites), pools of water and lava running into each other and all kinds of impressive sights.

I should have grabbed a picture of it. It was very impressive. The new updates to the terrain generation are creating some very interesting caves and mountains.

You'd probably need to modify the launcher if it's setting its own parameters internally. Not sure if this is true or not, but I'm pretty sure the launcher is overriding the default Java settings with its own 'expanded' memory, which Notch and co. have determined to be 'sufficient' on most systems.

Just a personal guess, could be completely off-base though.

I love the new terrain generation, everywhere feels so much more expansive with the larger biomes. On my server, we found a great biome and are in the process of converting it into an enormous town, just because the biome itself was screaming for it :3

i am torn. part of me wants to just start over with a new thing in the new 1.8 terrain, and part of me wants to continue what i'm doing. it's just that i'll never see any of the new stuff if i don't either start a new world or walk for hours.

will the server be creating a new world as well for 1.8 terrain?

Yes, but it will be temporary, since the terrain generator in 1.8 is an unfinished product (for instance, in 1.8, there are many biomes missing, including any and all snow biomes). The full generator will be released with 1.9. So when 1.9 comes out, we will likely be replacing the 1.8 map with the 1.9 map.

i am torn. part of me wants to just start over with a new thing in the new 1.8 terrain, and part of me wants to continue what i'm doing. it's just that i'll never see any of the new stuff if i don't either start a new world or walk for hours.

We had a lot of problems deciding what to do about worlds when 1.8 came around - our 1.7 world was already littered with masses of constructions but we really wanted the 1.8 features. In the end we decided on creating a new map for 1.8 and linking the old one with multiverse so we can still teleport back to our old stuff. It was either that or mcedit the majority of our 1.7 map into an ocean on the new map (that might actually work, some of those oceans are freaking big!)

I hear Jeb is working to get older maps to generate 1.8 structures though.

because, you know, i haven't gone to every link for "set java parameters", "set java parameters minecraft", "increase available memory java", "increase hash size java", etc.

i have done everything told to me and nothing ever changes in-game.

Couldn't you make a .bat that launches Minecraft with an extended memory in a similar way that there is a command to run a MC server with extended memory?

EDIT:Well, it appears that on the OCAD server at least, teleporting to the Nether has it's own risks...

Edited by Anorax

Couldn't you make a .bat that launches Minecraft with an extended memory in a similar way that there is a command to run a MC server with extended memory?

EDIT:Well, it appears that on the OCAD server at least, teleporting to the Nether has it's own risks...

tried that. it didn't work, either. that's why i was trying to remember what shortcut extension i used...but i don't have any idea what the extension was.

Oooh, look what I found today!

mining.jpg

It's some sort of abandoned mining facility, complete with train tracks and torches, chests with items, and even some of the old miners. But they must have been minig lots of coal, because they were all black. Bastards kept following me, too, so I just ran for it.

Those miners didn't happen to be tall... and slender... did they? O.O

Also, lol Hylian I doubt that that's a mine...