Minecraft [1.7.2/4?]

Gollgagh

Ok, I don't know if anyone's made notice of this, but what do you think of Mojang's new rules on Server Monetization? When I read this I immediately thought of the OCR server

Yeah. I'm working through that. I do know that servers need to be in compliance by August 1, so I've got a little time to read carefully and determine exactly what we're allowed to do.

You are allowed to accept donations

You are allowed to accept donations from players. You can thank them publicly or in-game, but can’t give preferential treatment for donating. You are not allowed to restrict gameplay features in an attempt to make money.

If they can actually enforce these requirements, this will be the primary focus. So, creepers everyday, all day until you pay will get you in trouble. OCR has never restricted a persons ability to play the game if they don't pay so in that aspect we are safe. I think the bit about preferential treatment is just a poorly worded statement, they are not saying we can't give in game bonuses for donating, like is done on the OCR server, just that we can't withhold core game-play until people pay.

I think as it stands now, OCR is in compliance with the rules.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, this will be a necropost. Sorry about that. Anyway, it turns out that the server expires in 9 days... and I don't have a new job yet. So, what I'm going to do is let the server expire until I can either renew it or find new hosting, take the interim time to learn some new stuff and redesign the server for 1.8, and come up with a plan for how to grow the server into more of a draw to OCR rather than just a place for only OCR people. I'm working on it.

tl;dr - Server's going to sleep for a little bit and then wake up with pects of steel and a shiny new hat.

{edit} - (Who votes to lock this thread and start a new one?)

You can make a $5/mo root access server on http://digitalocean.com. 512GB RAM, 20GB SSD storage. They give you root, just ssh in, install the mc server, maybe assign a domain (they have DNS). If you want more space and RAM, you'll just have to pay some more. Probably necessary for a big MC server.

You won't even be charged for time that you have it turned off. I have two of these babies, one for my website and another for web dev. They're easy to make and just as easy to nuke and destroy, since it's all VM's.

You can make a $5/mo root access server on http://digitalocean.com. 512GB RAM, 20GB SSD storage. They give you root, just ssh in, install the mc server, maybe assign a domain (they have DNS). If you want more space and RAM, you'll just have to pay some more. Probably necessary for a big MC server.

You won't even be charged for time that you have it turned off. I have two of these babies, one for my website and another for web dev. They're easy to make and just as easy to nuke and destroy, since it's all VM's.

Huh. I'll have to take a look. Even if it's a bit more, that still sounds like way less than I'm paying now. Plus, having the domain would be good. Lot easier to tell people it's at ocr.minecraftserver.net/notarealthing/ than 2939243.342943.32494234542:3214734.

Huh. I'll have to take a look. Even if it's a bit more, that still sounds like way less than I'm paying now. Plus, having the domain would be good. Lot easier to tell people it's at ocr.minecraftserver.net/notarealthing/ than 2939243.342943.32494234542:3214734.

Well, they have DNS, but you'll still have to go and buy your own domain from somewhere. I use namecheap.com . Pretty cheap.

Like I said, you'll probably want to shell out $10/mo or $20/mo for better RAM and space on the server since MineCraft runs in Java, but even if you go with a $5/mo server and a $5/year domain, that's a pretty reasonable full web set-up (hosting + domain + root server access) for $65/year.

Keep in mind you can do whatever subdomains you want once you tie the domain into digitalocean DNS. I have a droplet for my website at neblixmusic.com, I have another droplet (so I have two separate $5/mo servers/machines/IP's) that I redirected from dev.neblixmusic.com for no extra charge. When I ran a MineCraft server, I had it sit at mc.neblixmusic.com (though it was the same droplet machine as my website at the time, so neblixmusic.com would have taken you there anyway)

I installed a LAMP stack on one of mine and then installed WordPress, the whole process took an hour tops. With setting up the MC server, it's way simpler even if you're not used to the command line. You can just follow the instructions from a guide and you'll be good to go, it's not hard or tedious at all. Use sftp from FileZilla if you want to have mouse-driven file/folder management for moving/copying worlds and saves.

Well, they have DNS, but you'll still have to go and buy your own domain from somewhere. I use namecheap.com . Pretty cheap.

Like I said, you'll probably want to shell out $10/mo or $20/mo for better RAM and space on the server since MineCraft runs in Java, but even if you go with a $5/mo server and a $5/year domain, that's a pretty reasonable full web set-up (hosting + domain + root server access) for $65/year.

Keep in mind you can do whatever subdomains you want once you tie the domain into digitalocean DNS. I have a droplet for my website at neblixmusic.com, I have another droplet (so I have two separate $5/mo servers/machines/IP's) that I redirected from dev.neblixmusic.com for no extra charge. When I ran a MineCraft server, I had it sit at mc.neblixmusic.com (though it was the same droplet machine as my website at the time, so neblixmusic.com would have taken you there anyway)

I installed a LAMP stack on one of mine and then installed WordPress, the whole process took an hour tops. With setting up the MC server, it's way simpler even if you're not used to the command line. You can just follow the instructions from a guide and you'll be good to go, it's not hard or tedious at all. Use sftp from FileZilla if you want to have mouse-driven file/folder management for moving/copying worlds and saves.

Ideally, I'd love to have mc.ocremix.org, but that may be a little difficult to negotiate, even if I am willing to pay for the extra sub-domain. Oh, and for FTP, I have Dreamweaver MX. It's old, but it gets the job done well.