Donkey Kong Land- Bad Boss Boogie Remix

KoeN

Hello everyone

My name is Josh, and I work in I.T. In my spare time I enjoy learning about music production, and spend most of it jamming on drums, working on electro house, or remixing my favourite video game themes.

I have been meaning to check out OCRemix for some time now (a few people on my youtube channel have suggested I come visit). I've decided to take the plunge and submit a song for critique!

This is a re-arrangement of one of my favourite boss themes of all time, 'Bad Boss Boogie' from Donkey Kong Land on the Gameboy.

It starts in a very melodic and relaxed manner and rocks out hard and fast at the end. I hope you enjoy it! Please let me know if you have any questions, and please provide feedback (I am VERY new to this!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv09uU4bdMg

Edit: Here is the original:

Cheers

Josh

It do sounds overcompressed, specially the drums, although that sometimes fits the mysterious atmosphere you're giving to it. You might just want to turn your compressor down a bit and adjust the levels when necessary, so drums get less reverberated.

That climax, it sounded like I went from calm and deep water to an agressive tidal wave, it's SO radical, SO WOOO-.. o.. uh?! It ended!? Not fun ._. See? ;P

So yea, I love everything you've done, the transitions were great, overall arrangement's excellent, there's lots of subtle details on the background that caught my attention and fills the soundscape very well (nice percussion and effects!), but I find the drums muddy and the ending's very abrupt.

Croakyo!

Hey, wow, this is actually very neat :-) Great choice of source, you used it very well in your remix too. Generally, I love your arrangement - the transition from ambient chillout groove to hard rock feels a lot more natural in action than it sounds on paper, so good job for making that work!

To be honest, starting off the song with these weak harp samples isn't doing you any favors; the rest of your sounds throughout the remix are pretty high quality and expressive, but the harp sounds like something I'd expect out of a general MIDI soundfont :-( I was ready to write off the mix before it really even started, and I'm guessing other listeners might feel the same, so see if you can hook yourself up with some higher-quality harp sounds.

The Youtube mirror isn't doing your song any favors, but listening on soundcloud is definitely recommended for anyone viewing this thread ;-) There's still some compression issues on the drums, like Guifrog stated, and I think you should consider toning down the rhythm guitars in the second section so your lead synth can have a little more room to stand out. Otherwise, it's pretty good on the production end of things.

Very good arrangement though and a great listen, I'm pleasantly surprised to see a good DKL source get some love! I hope you take the time to polish this up in a few places, hopefully it'll be OCR-ready with very little effort! ;-)

Thanks for the great feedback guys! I am away from home for work for a couple of days (actually using a client's computer to "test the proxy" right now) but am looking forward to putting some of these suggestions into motion. I am actually considering removing the first 4 bars of the song altogether and starting with the bass slide.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a virtual instrument to replace the harp? (preferably free!)

In other awesome news, I actually recieved a YouTube comment AND blog post spotlight from the Main Man Graeme Norgate himself! For those of you who don't know, he is the original composer of this song, and also did much of the soundtrack for other classics like Blast Corps and Goldeneye!

http://graemenorgate.blogspot.com/

Lucky! Hahaha