Zelda 2 Battle Dubstep

Doni

Hey all,

My first true Dubstep track here. I love the music from Zelda 2 and I think I've got something worth listening to here. Feedback appreciated! I should say that I ventured off the Dubstep track for parts of this song, so I'm not interested in any genre nerds telling me this isn't true dubstep...

Links:

Youtubez - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy993QELIVw

Download - http://www.donimusic.com/soundfiles/The-Adventure-of-Link_-_Battle-Theme_-_Doni-Dubstep-Remix.mp3

Source -

This is actually really good. I really want to criticize it, but I can't due to the fact that I know nothing about dubstep. But I can love it. This thing has a great beat, great sounds, and great everything else. I'd go ahead and switch it over to mod review or submit it. :mrgreen:

hows mod review work?

Thanks for listening at least :) Dubstep is really just about a wobbly bassline and slower drum patterns... perhaps it's a bit more complicated than that to get the right sound, but I like it because it could be good for dancing or just bobbin ur head to

Oh i found the info on "Mod review"... good idea...

anyways, I'd like some feedback so I'll change the status... OR rather I would change the status if I knew how to? Perhaps I am blind

**Figured it out... need to edit the first post. I suppose that makes sense

It's a very interesting remix, and I love me some dubstep.

It's always good to hear the wobble bass, but yours is missing a little something. It would do with some higher end, like maybe doubling it with a sawtooth to give it more impact. Also something bothers me about the main snare drum, I think it's that it lasts a smidge too long and it also feels a bit thin. Maybe take off reverb and see how that affects it.

I also think you could stand to use more stereo separation; everything just kind of sits in the middle for the most part.

Other than that, it's quite good. Work on those things and repost it, I would love to see where this goes!

Thx FS,

This track might be a bit different than your average dubstep track. I did want the snare to be less poppy than they usually are in most dubsteps. Same with the bass, I wanted the wobble, but I wasn't going for the popular high end bass sound here because that just wouldn't have mixed with the melody in the high end.

Did you listen to the youtube or mp3 version? I did play with the stereo a bit, but I'm going for a wall of sound, so everything should sound "as one". For dubstep, i think drums and bass will ride the middle for the most part and I wanted the highs to blanket the track with the high end

I will be doing a final album version sometime in the future, so perhaps it will change slightly. Thx for listening :)

First things first I know you're going for a wall of sound but turn things down because it all sounds distorted. Also, I'm not quite buying your bass, it sounds you're just controlling the filter which, while it always a good start, good dubstep basses generally have a "morphing" quality to them, try automating some other parameters as well.

The arp synth needs to either go or be modified because at the moment its just busy as hell without any really purpose. If your bass is busy enough you don't need another synth blasting at 180mph, let the bass drive the track. As it is its just kinda in annoying. Try getting some hats in there instead of the synth to help drive the track as well.

Overall though I just don't feel a strong groove to this track, which is what a good dubstep track needs more than anything else.

Overall I like the concept and the source s interesting enough that you can go places with this remix, but I don't really feel like its there yet. Work on focusing your theme a bit more, at the moment I've probably listened to your remix two or three times now and nothing is really sticking out, I'm not going to be humming this in 5 minutes. But as said before, I like the concept and this definitely has the potential to be interesting, I especially like the little breakdown build-ups thing you have, but I'd also take another stab at it.

Hmm...It has potential. I am not familiar with dubstep, but I like the glitchiness you have going, but that seems to be all the track is, a glitchy mess. I tuned it out after the first 30 seconds. There was nothing catchy about it and it just seemed to go on and on.

I would also reitterate what Vagrance said. Change the bass. Prototype Raptor has an excellent dubstep version of the Zelda underworld theme that I would suggest you take a listen to.

Again, try to make your bass more interesting as well as the drums. They tend to get lost in the chaotic mess.

You're going in the right direction, but I think it needs a lot of work before this gets subbed.

Hmm...It has potential. I am not familiar with dubstep, but I like the glitchiness you have going, but that seems to be all the track is, a glitchy mess. I tuned it out after the first 30 seconds. There was nothing catchy about it and it just seemed to go on and on.

I would also reitterate what Vagrance said. Change the bass. Prototype Raptor has an excellent dubstep version of the Zelda underworld theme that I would suggest you take a listen to.

Again, try to make your bass more interesting as well as the drums. They tend to get lost in the chaotic mess.

You're going in the right direction, but I think it needs a lot of work before this gets subbed.

Yea I listened to PR's mix. It's excellent, but different than mine.

I'm doing alot of things that are not conventional for a dubstep track... also, the sound is not supposed to be a smooth flowing groove... perhaps you don't like the style but I think others will

First things first I know you're going for a wall of sound but turn things down because it all sounds distorted. Also, I'm not quite buying your bass, it sounds you're just controlling the filter which, while it always a good start, good dubstep basses generally have a "morphing" quality to them, try automating some other parameters as well.

suggestions for what parameters I could muck with? I'm only playing with the LFO, the freq and the release

The arp synth needs to either go or be modified because at the moment its just busy as hell without any really purpose. If your bass is busy enough you don't need another synth blasting at 180mph, let the bass drive the track. As it is its just kinda in annoying. Try getting some hats in there instead of the synth to help drive the track as well.

I know what you mean, but 'busy' is kind of my style. This is dubstep because of the half time beat and the wub wub... I know that normally dubstep doesnt have a prominent lead in the mix normally.

Overall though I just don't feel a strong groove to this track, which is what a good dubstep track needs more than anything else.

perhaps that opinion? It is a bit different than most of the stuff OCR accepts, but I'm really just posting this for ppl to listen to if they want

Overall I like the concept and the source s interesting enough that you can go places with this remix, but I don't really feel like its there yet. Work on focusing your theme a bit more, at the moment I've probably listened to your remix two or three times now and nothing is really sticking out, I'm not going to be humming this in 5 minutes. But as said before, I like the concept and this definitely has the potential to be interesting, I especially like the little breakdown build-ups thing you have, but I'd also take another stab at it.

Ok, and I like the feedback... I was trying to add something to the typical dubstep mix but when I do a final master of the track I will consider what you've said for sure

suggestions for what parameters I could muck with? I'm only playing with the LFO, the freq and the release

Anything else really, get creative. If you're using Massive the most obvious start is the wavetable parameters on the oscillators, there's also the sync/fm if you're feeling dangerous, any effects the synth has, anything that you think will shape the sound of it.

Vagrance gave a really good critique back there, so I'll add just a couple thoughts:

-Song feels like it's lacking direction in general. There's a lot of dependance on that short lead synth to carry the melody and gets pretty repetative after a while.

-Agree on the distorted sound problem.

-Also, the drums don't feel like they're meshing well with the rest of the song. Hard to quantify, but I feel like the snare specifically is sticking out away from everything else. It's not an easy thing to do and it's hard to give specific advise on how to fix it. Sometimes it's just experimentation.