OCR00512 - Final Fantasy IX "Qu's Marsh (Swamp Rat)"

orkybash

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Its okay...but not fantastic.

I dont like the mood this piece has...it seems more kinda dark and dismal and hopeless, which isn't what the original had, though I dont supose this really matters on here so...

The piano sample irritates me..I dont know why, but it just sounds 'off'.

The snare sample is kinda dry and MIDI-like (though the Timpani sample is pretty sharp)

I dont like the choirs used either...they seem a little off-key and I dont like the abrupt start-stop thing they've got going on.

I'd have liked see more of the guitar, personally. I dont like the way it only played a few notes repeatedly during certain parts then was ignored (perhaps swapping the piano and guitar over could have worked)

Overall...Im divided.

Its not terrible...but then again its not fantastic either.

Yeah... it's alright, but kinda raw. The first time I heard it, I admit- I listened to it often. It does have that darker sort of feel, but I like it. It's just something.. it just may be the the samples and their cuts that take points away for me. After a while, the novelty wore off.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
This is a strange idea on the Qu's Marsh, making it darker and fugue-like.

Would suit perfectly if the Qu´s whipped up a cooking ritual, it may be a little dark, that piano helped much in that subject, the guitar likewise, got a good sound out of that one. And then the choir in the beginning, I always thought someone did that in the beginning, but that might as well be marimbas or bells or drums of some sort.

It repeats, I´ve noticed that, I thought the track had ended and gone on repeat, but when I checked it was just in the middle.

BUT, good song, Steve bringed out the Qu´s in an other perspective.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Why is everyone complaining about the midi-like piano, It really suites the mix well. The other thing that other people were complaining about was the dark feel to the song is not the same as the original piece. But that doesn't matter, the remix doesn't need to have the same feel if the remix is a different style from the original. Overall this mix is one of the better mixes from FF9. A definite improvement on the original, which got boring rather quickly.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This sounds like it came straight out of a Ocarina of Time temple, what with all the chanting and dark foreboding atmosphere.

Everything, imo, sounds so bizarrely appropriate. All that "slightly off" unnatural feel to everything from the piano to the choir (especially the choir feels off) feels fitting for being lost in some dark, desolate swamp.

The weak point of this mix is around 3/4 of the way in. There is when things feel so repetitive and like I've heard it a million times before, but for the most part this is a solid mix.

• 7 months later...

Hmm, well it seems that Steve came all this way only to slip back into his midi sounding roots. Everything seems to be out of tune with one another in the intro and then when the piano comes in, wow, big pitch difference there. The production value just kills this for me! However, there is one HUGE thing to point here. Arrangement wise, this builds up to something much more complex and involved than Steve's previous mixes which is a huge piece of growth. With this mix moving into a really good arrangement direction, I only hope the production is close behind. That being said, the problem I have with the arrangement is that Steve worked it all out, then copied and pasted it again to double the length of the song, almost as though it was straight out of the game. Come on Steve, rally back for me, buddy!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00512 - Final Fantasy IX "Qu's Marsh (Swamp Rat)"
  • 5 years later...

Came here to say that this track is still within my top 5 from here... yes even in 2022... this track takes me in a very unusual place that I cannot describe, if there was reverb it would instantly become an eargasam...

I get what some of the audiophiles are saying... Music hits everyone very differently...