Majora's Mask: Deku Palace Remix

VitalAssent

I find that the synth lead is too loud. Thought I'd say that first.

I like what you have going here. I think it's a great idea. But...

:arrow: The melody has been changed in some parts so much that it's not recognizable--at least to me. I could tell what it was, but it strayed a little too much in my opinion. Maybe someone else would like it more than me. But I like a mix closer to the original.

:arrow: The beginning is a little too noisy. Just the first few seconds though. I don't like it when I feel that it hurts my ears to listen to music. :lol:

:arrow: I know you already said it, but it is too short.

:arrow: Some of the sounds seem a little low quality to me, but it could just be tindeck. Sometimes depending on the file size it has to dumb down the quality a little. :roll:

Just keep at it. It's gonna be really good if you keep at it.

WOOOO, fantastic beginning!! \@@@/

Yessss, I'm don't have any problem with its volume, but I don't like the synth that starts the melody. It's a nice choice, but it could use of some spicy effects to keep the croaky-croc atmosphere going, like echoes and/or something else. It sounds pretty dull (and loud) the way it is now.

Also, fill that soundscape with something else after the first melody line, add some more dynamics to it! Try not to repeat the same melody over and over again, or try to make some changes to it without making it lose its character as the track goes.

I like the break where guitar plays, by the way. Cool!

The beat is catchy, I love that little percussive shaker hit you have going on, that's a nice throwback to the original.

The lead synth works best when you have some processing on it, :27 to :40 needs to be fleshed out some more, or put some backing on it if you want to carry on with the evolving lead that you have going. The little warble you put on it and then what you do with it in the passage that follows is pretty fun and clever!

2:03 hits. Why have I heard this before? No, no no no no no. This won't do at all! Your synth sounds like it's just repeating verbatim what it's done before. Vary it up, use a different synth, process it a bit more, have the backing and the beat change up, do something else!

Arrangement wise: This is fine for me, actually! Maybe throw in a couple more references in your second act, and you'll be golden.

Bottom Line: Patch up that lead synth some, flesh it out, or try a different instrument? And do something to shake up the second act. You can repeat the melody, but having it sound like a rehash of ground you just tread is bad news.

Nice pan effects, cool bass. Using a similar patch for the leads doesn't work quite as well. Many of the sounds aren't good, the electric-guitar-wannabe thing comes to mind as a great example of a turd of a sound. :P

I'm fine with the altered melody, it fits the style well. the track needs more source tho, used in more ways. The arrangement is basically bass+drums+lead+backing synth (sometimes). Some softer ostinatos, transitional sounds, pads... stuff, would keep things interesting upon closer listens.

Your rising arpeggios towards the end suffer some sharp resonances that hurt my ears. You could cut down on those with EQ or by lowering the filter resonance on the synth. In any case, careful with your loud aggressive stuff, they can easily just get painful instead of hard and loud.

Not a bad start, keep at it. :)

That was epic. The new version was extremely better. I like the synth you have for the intro. That was a good choice. Also, the lead synth is nice, but it is a little loud and might be hard on some ears. You might have a few things to do as far as production goes (e.g. add a little delay to the lead synth at one part), but otherwise this is a very good mix.

@ ncocs:

Thanks! I'm glad you like the new version. I think it's a bit shorter actually. I took a couple bits out, and replaced others, but I don't think I ended up with any more time.

@ Capt. Stupidity

Yeah, I probably have quite a bit of work as far as production goes. Thanks for the suggestions, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Lead and bass are too loud. Drums need some touching up to sound better (eq on everything, reverb on the snare, more click on the bass drum, subtle delay on the hihat, stuff like that, whatever works for these sounds specifically). Lead could use some variation in sound to be more interesting and not get annoying after a few notes.

You have some nice stuff in here, like the rising synth sound (almost like a reverse crash, but more synthy and interesting) and the intro synth. Consider adding a pad to emphasize differences in chords and fill out the soundscape a bit more. Doesn't have to be loud. Also, consider adding a crash to mark the start of new parts or the end of fills/kickrolls.

(Fellow critics, careful about giving exaggerated positive feedback, it's actually not as good as you think it is. And by "it" I mean the over-positive feedback just as much as the mix. Let's not feed ppl's ego and give them an unrealistic idea of where they're at, skill-wise. Work on your ears.)

Sorry 'bout that. :P