OCR Music Video Challenge 2.2 VIEWING PARTY!!

Diodes

It's that time again!!

OCR Music Video Challenge 2.2 Viewing Party!

When: Sunday, October 24 @ 9 PM EST

Where: irc.enterthegame.com #ocremix

What: Watch awesome music videos set to OC ReMixes, made by:

Chernabogue - maybe 2 videos!!

Less Ashamed of Self - DEFINITELY!

setzertrancer

Modus

Mirby

diotrans - not looking all that likely, eep

Anybody else who can finish an OCR music video by then!!

IF YOU HAVE FINISHED A MUSIC VIDEO and would like it to be shown in the viewing party, please do the following:

1. Upload your video to YouTube AS PRIVATE. We want to save the videos and keep them secret until the viewing party!! So please keep them private, so as not to alert your legions of YouTube fans that you've uploaded a new video. (You can do that after the big party.)

2. PM me the private link to the video. YouTube is under maintenance at the moment, so I can't give you the exact instructions, but basically there is a way to upload it as private but still have a link to the video that anyone can access, but only if you give them that link. We will use this link to view the video at the viewing party.

3. Post in this thread to let everyone know your awesome video is forthcoming! And I will add you to the list.

4. Hmm, I guess that's it. Yay, you're done!

More information, possibly even relevant information (but possibly not), in this thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28869

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!

Hey people, get pumped for the viewing party THIS SUNDAY. I've already got links to TWO music videos made by Chernabogue. I haven't viewed them yet but they look to be promising and I'm sure they're super awesome!

Also, if you have nothing to do this weekend, it's not too late to start making your music video!! Just send me the direct link before the viewing party starts.

SEE YOU THERE!!!

First post updated to include new entries!!

This is pretty awesome people, I have 5 links to videos and on top of that, I know LAOS has got something really special for us up his sleeve, involving a meat... spinner... thingy??

Unfortunately it looks like I won't have a video but thanks everybody for stepping up and making this happen. See you tomorrow!!! <3

Again, my gratitude to all participants and to diotrans for hosting. If anyone plans on giving my entry a second look, here's some things to take note (heh) of:

• The animation is generated from the MIDI Dhsu provides here:
    http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3480
  • The type of note (eighth,sixteenth,etc.) conveys what you'd expect: How long the key is depressed
  • The size of each note conveys its velocity (how hard the key was pressed)
  • The "bounce" (the time a note takes to fall thru the plane) conveys how long the sustain pedal is depressed.
  • The note positions obviously convey their time and pitch
  • The note colors convey the harmony as derived from the circle of fifths. See this:
    http://www.musanim.com/mam/circle.html

I spent about 7 hours writing Python3 code, setting up the environment, and animating the camera movement. Render time was about 14 hours.

cheers.

Again, my gratitude to all participants and to diotrans for hosting. If anyone plans on giving my entry a second look, here's some things to take note (heh) of:

• The animation is generated from the MIDI Dhsu provides here:
    http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3480
  • The type of note (eighth,sixteenth,etc.) conveys what you'd expect: How long the key is depressed
  • The size of each note conveys its velocity (how hard the key was pressed)
  • The "bounce" (the time a note takes to fall thru the plane) conveys how long the sustain pedal is depressed.
  • The note positions obviously convey their time and pitch
  • The note colors convey the harmony as derived from the circle of fifths. See this:
    http://www.musanim.com/mam/circle.html

I spent about 7 hours writing Python3 code, setting up the environment, and animating the camera movement. Render time was about 14 hours.

cheers.

Oh shit. I had a conversation with a friend about your video earlier today and we essentially determined it was either the coolest visualization ever or something which took a lot of work. I see it was the latter. Well done. I think your video took more time than mine did.

I think your video took more time than mine did.

I really liked your entry compared to what you did last round. Whatever time constraints you had I think produced some inspired results.

What would be a good starting point for me to learn code for videos?

Start with learning the language for the application you want to code for. Blender, Maya, Houdini all use Python. Photoshop uses JavaScript so presumably AfterEffects uses JavaScript as well... I wouldn't know as I haven't touched AfterEffects in years. I think most AE users have moved on to node-based compositors like Nuke (which also uses Python)

So, not knowing any better, I would suggest learning Python.

Also, if it's coded doesn't that mean you could apply it to any MIDI? :D
And tweak the visualization part of the midi-coding to be whatever you want?

Manual animation (camera,lighting) aside, yes. I made a

last year, though I wasn't able to reuse any of the code because the new version of Blender has a completely different API that uses a newer backwards-incompatible version of Python. But many of the same ideas apply.

cheers.