OCR01293 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 'Clouded Mind and Ringing Ears'

djpretzel

Mmmkaugh,

Contact info:

remixer name: Aetherius

e-mail: pools_of_tears@hotmail.com

I'm giving the link to the file at the dkcproject, which means the id3s will be messed...If need be I can host it myself with fixed id3.

(if this is the case...someone's going to have to...inform me of this.)

It's a remix of 'misty menace' from Donkey Kong Country.

my current remixer name is 'Dj_StarChild' I suppose that I should have it changed to Aetherius. If someone is opposed to said change, then changing the remixer name for this song to Dj_StarChild isn't a problem for me either...just requires messing with id3s...and stuff.

yeah...so...go to it.

Starky

Rab basically said this was just him fiddling with some ambient pads and sound effects for a couple of hours or whatever; not too much effort involved on the creation side, but I judge on the finished product not necessarily the effort it took to get there.

Loved this mix ever since I first heard it and it's one of my favorites off KiC. I didn't compare this with "Misty Menace" for a while after listening to this track, so though this mix doesn't have much of a melody, it really expanded things upon actual comparison with the source a few months ago, which was a very pleasant surprise.

Though simple and straightfoward, lots of subtle elements came together to form an enjoyable ambiance, and Rab's sure to pick up some fans who enjoy this relaxing, yet melancholy and ominous soundscape. Get ready to loop this one.

YES

Rab basically said this was just him fiddling with some ambient pads and sound effects for a couple of hours or whatever; not too much effort involved on the creation side, but I judge on the finished product not necessarily the effort it took to get there.

Me too, and this is yet another example of lack of effort causing a generally uninteresting, minimal, and not very well rearranged remix.

Cool sound effects, yes, but this is nothing more than cool effects upon the original with some drums and what not. The percussive element isnt much different, noting the metal clanks (which is pretty much verbatim) and so forth.

Sure the original didn't have much going on, but I don't see why such ambient minimalism can justify not having to be a rearrangement/remix.

Good for a filler track on remix album. Nice sound quality. Definately not a remix.

NO

Cool sound effects, yes, but this is nothing more than cool effects upon the original with some drums and what not. The percussive element isnt much different, noting the metal clanks (which is pretty much verbatim) and so forth.

The original is nothing more than cool effects (and a few chords, which are in this mix).

The percussion is definitely different, as the new beat structure is the rearrangement along with the expansion of ambience.

Simple yes, but I think it qualifies considering the source material.

Well considering the source material is almost nonexistent I think the mixer did a good job here. Overall I thought this was simplistic in composition and in production, but due to the source material it's hard to be too harsh here. The intro is a bit drawn out I thought. I do like the choral pads and string work, the other percussive effects are also nice. Production as a whole I thought was rather average. This is in serious need of major effects processing imo. More delays, lush ambiance and so forth. I also felt a lot of this sounded lofi. Passable production, neat, if not simple arrangement.

Borderline Yes.

Going to use my earlier vote on this:

The arrangement here doesn't dramatically change the original in that the original itself is fairly ambient, using lots of effects and non-standard percussion. To be fair, it also lacks a strong melody, so I realize that there's not much to work off of. Moving on: this mix is really fairly similar to the original right down to the clanging percussion and ambient wind-like effects. My problem here is that while this isn't identical to the original, basically the new additions and changes are just new/upgraded effects, different percussion in parts, and an extended intro. Production-wise, I have no problems, and this is an enjoyable mix by itself.

However, I think even considering how sparse the original is, this is not much of a reinterpretation and more of an 'upgrade' than a full rearrangement.

It's difficult to remix tunes with so little melody, but even so, I think this is too close to the original in style, instrumentation, and presentation (similar ambient intros/endings for instance). What I would like to see here is more of a departure from the instrumentation of the original, at the very least, such as perhaps replacing the strings playing the 'melody' with a different type of pad, or accompanying the chords with a different type of instrument. Basically, changes that would give the mix its own character.

In short, I'm not concerned with how much time the remixer spent on this, unlike Prot, but I do agree with him that this isn't really much of a change from the original. I feel very borderline on this one, but I believe a NO vote is justified.

i'm gonna also use most of my earlier vote on this:

the source material doesn't give much to work with melodically yet it is very quality ambience... one of the more entertaining ambiences from DKC, in my opinion and one that stuck in my mind well after having played the game.

in that regard, the track is exactly what it was meant to be - background music that is hauntingambient and has a distinct industrial emphasis in the arrangement (especially with the steelmill rhythm that is present throughout most of the track). for as much as the track doesn't "go anywhere" as most purist pundants would put it... the track allows the listener to go anywhere and everywhere... essentially, the listener that isn't taken anywhere didn't want to go anywhere.

i think the track serves its purpose well. it is great ambient, background music. do your work listening to this. relax, sleep or have sex listening to this. play sim city to this.

its that versatile.

its that good.

YES

• 1 month later...