Final Fantasy 7 - One Winged Angel

Kenneth Boxall

The 30 second buildup is wasteful. What does that really add to the song as a whole? Shorten it up and cut to the chase already!

The percussion drowns things out way too much. The reverberation of the bell hits is way overpowering, and there is a cymbal crash that makes it impossible to know what is going on.

Arrangement wise, it's a cool idea! Definitely a new, cool take on a well-beloved and over-hyped source track!

That choir you have in the background though, is not near strong enough to carry through the entire mix like you have it now. And what is going on at 3:45??? The 12 seconds that follow that just sound ridiculous, the backing choir just goes off and does its own thing while your lead is busy doing its own thing and there is no real cooperation there.

Also, there's some repetition issues. At 4 minutes in I was waiting to hear something new, but just got more of the same, including the issues I had been hearing the entire time. If you're going to go on for another minute, jumble things up! Use a bit more source, or go off with some original work! Expansion on the theme can only help you with the concept you had to start this mix.

So yeah, the first half (discluding that egregious buildup) is really cool, and I'd love to see that get expounded upon. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking you've run out of ideas, or that "this part was cool so I'll just repeat it a couple times and nobody will be any the wiser." Anyone who comes up with that intro has got to have ideas to keep things interesting.

You have high quality samples, but they aren't necessarily sequenced in the most pleasant way. Arrangement is somewhat effective and haunting, though pretty simplistic, especially compared to the original. Some jarring transitions here and there. It does get quite repetitive eventually, as the mix doesn't seem to be moving anywhere or building up to anything. Dynamics are very important in orchestral arrangements, which is related to my biggest issue with this mix.

The main problem with this is the mixing. Holy crap. I know youtube compression can be a bitch but that's nowhere near the main culprit here, especially considering the arrangements on your website seem to suffer from the same issues. Aside from the intro, the song seems to almost constantly be on the same dynamic level, and everything feels very cramped and overcompressed, despite not even being that loud. It's as if you slapped a limiter with a high ratio/low threshold on the master track. Panning and sterio field seems pretty solid.

Get your mixing sorted out; turn everything down, remove any compressors and limiters, and start from the ground up.

HOLY CRAP COMPRESSION.

Are you using the Hall Noise? Or is that like layered mic-air?

You have to be careful when compressing EW samples THIS much, you have to remember that both SO and SC were recorded in a giant hall, and so each sample has some air in it, when you layer AND compress, it can get really messy.

What happens is you lose ALL of your energy.

I am also guessing you're mixing on computer speakers with some big bass response as there is like NO low-end, even though you have these giant hits.

You have to remember that bass boost works in the reverse when you're mixing on your end, so that when it ends up on our end, the bass is actually smaller.

I will say kudos for finding a practical and contextual use for Symphonic Choirs' whisper samples.

The reverb you've put on your vox isn't quite what you need in order to match the depth of Symphonic Choirs' natural hall.

Thanks for the polite reply sorry for the compression I'm learning reverb slowly

Oi! O_o

It sounds quite overcompressed and I can barely hear the notes the choirs are hitting, but man, this gives me chills! Phantasmic work, Mr. K!

Would be even better if you could use some more parts of the source, so it doesn't get too repetitive after some point.

Definitely downloading this!

Sorry for the parts that you didn't like, The into is a bit long.

I'm slowly learning reverb and mixing things nicer. Training the ears.

I'll have to work a bit more on dynamics

The 30 second buildup is wasteful. What does that really add to the song as a whole? Shorten it up and cut to the chase already!

The percussion drowns things out way too much. The reverberation of the bell hits is way overpowering, and there is a cymbal crash that makes it impossible to know what is going on.

Arrangement wise, it's a cool idea! Definitely a new, cool take on a well-beloved and over-hyped source track!

That choir you have in the background though, is not near strong enough to carry through the entire mix like you have it now. And what is going on at 3:45??? The 12 seconds that follow that just sound ridiculous, the backing choir just goes off and does its own thing while your lead is busy doing its own thing and there is no real cooperation there.

Also, there's some repetition issues. At 4 minutes in I was waiting to hear something new, but just got more of the same, including the issues I had been hearing the entire time. If you're going to go on for another minute, jumble things up! Use a bit more source, or go off with some original work! Expansion on the theme can only help you with the concept you had to start this mix.

So yeah, the first half (discluding that egregious buildup) is really cool, and I'd love to see that get expounded upon. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking you've run out of ideas, or that "this part was cool so I'll just repeat it a couple times and nobody will be any the wiser." Anyone who comes up with that intro has got to have ideas to keep things interesting.

I'm glad you liked my samples it's by East West.

Dynamics are somthing i'm working on with reverb and mixing

You have high quality samples, but they aren't necessarily sequenced in the most pleasant way. Arrangement is somewhat effective and haunting, though pretty simplistic, especially compared to the original. Some jarring transitions here and there. It does get quite repetitive eventually, as the mix doesn't seem to be moving anywhere or building up to anything. Dynamics are very important in orchestral arrangements, which is related to my biggest issue with this mix.

The main problem with this is the mixing. Holy crap. I know youtube compression can be a bitch but that's nowhere near the main culprit here, especially considering the arrangements on your website seem to suffer from the same issues. Aside from the intro, the song seems to almost constantly be on the same dynamic level, and everything feels very cramped and overcompressed, despite not even being that loud. It's as if you slapped a limiter with a high ratio/low threshold on the master track. Panning and sterio field seems pretty solid.

Get your mixing sorted out; turn everything down, remove any compressors and limiters, and start from the ground up.

Yeah it is taking some time to get used to the samples and how to mix them.

I'm sure with some patients I'll get better.

HOLY CRAP COMPRESSION.

Are you using the Hall Noise? Or is that like layered mic-air?

You have to be careful when compressing EW samples THIS much, you have to remember that both SO and SC were recorded in a giant hall, and so each sample has some air in it, when you layer AND compress, it can get really messy.

What happens is you lose ALL of your energy.

I am also guessing you're mixing on computer speakers with some big bass response as there is like NO low-end, even though you have these giant hits.

You have to remember that bass boost works in the reverse when you're mixing on your end, so that when it ends up on our end, the bass is actually smaller.

I will say kudos for finding a practical and contextual use for Symphonic Choirs' whisper samples.

The reverb you've put on your vox isn't quite what you need in order to match the depth of Symphonic Choirs' natural hall.