Duke Nukem Forever - ALWAYS bet on Duke! - ITS OUT, and most people seem to hate it?!

Level 99

"Product Features Platform: PC | Edition: Balls of steel

• Collectible bust of Duke Nukem
  • 100-page hardcover book: History, Legacy & Legend: Duke Nukem Forever Art from the Vault
  • Duke Nukem Forever collectable comic book
  • Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem dice
  • Duke Nukem Forever postcard series"

Balls of Steel edition doesn't come with actual steel balls, I am disapppointed

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Part of me is sad that it actually came out, I mean almost half of my life, I have been hearing news about this game... Maybe there is some hope for other Vaporware titles. Ill pick it up when it drops in price, I think the biggest sellin point is the nostalgia factor, which I dont have much of.

StarCraft Ghost, im lookn at you.

I read a really accurate comparison today:

Imagine a sequel to Portal that has its plot based around finding the the cake, with a companion cube that stays with you for the entire game, and a soundtrack consisting of nothing but autotuned Jonathan Coulton songs, with all the interesting puzzles and dark humor removed.

That is what DNF is to DN3D. Throughout the entire game I couldn't shake the feeling that the devs focused much more on the meme status of the main character, and less on the actual gameplay that made DN3D succesful in the first place.

A lot of the sections just feel like disjointed, inferior copies of popular FPS games, with the general flow of the game feeling more like Half-Life, Halo-esque vehicle sections/regenerating health, and Call of Duty-like turret sections. There are some neat set pieces like the Duke Burger level, and the Ghost Town shootout (which actually FELT like DN3D), but other than that, so many of the levels are just plain terrible (especially the Hive).

So, I'm just starting the Duke Burger level. To echo what just about everyone has said the Hive is pretty much the most forgettable thing I've experienced so far.

The first "chapter" or whatever you want to call it, I think, came out the gates really strong. It was everything I could've hoped for in a Duke Nukem game. So absolutely ridiculous and over the top.

Moving forward from that I'm still enjoying it, but I can definitely see how others aren't. It does feel very disjointed, which is a shame, because I feel like if they could tie together certain areas better it would have brought up the quality of the game as whole. Parts don't seem as polished as I would expect from a completed game. I'm going through it, and enjoying it, but it still feels...off.

Is it fun? Yea. I'm enjoying it, anyway. Is it terrible? No, not by any means. Is it GREAT? No, it's not great, but it IS a undeniably a Duke Nukem game. In a good way.

My one hope is that they used this game to make enough money, solely off hype alone, to fund a sequel that they could actually put time and effort into and make...well basically Bullet Storm with Duke Nukem, is what I'm expecting.

i really feel that this game is terrible. it's unfortunate, because there's a lot of good humor, but the ars review said it best: 13 years ago, duke was a joke based on the ridiculous hero-person stereotypes of the 90s. now, he's not based on anyone, and his joke - and his stereotype - is played out. i didn't find the constant dick jokes and gay humor to be offensive, but so many other things he said and did were just dumb. not funny, but dumb.

there's a ton of dark, creative, awesome humor hidden away in spots of the game, but the gameplay just kind of sucks dick.

I have yet to play it but i got a feeling its mainly disappointment is down to the fact we've all heard about this game for so long.

Hype for a game that was never gonna come out and when it finally does its not up to the standard that people wanted.

Its hard for any company to face something like that and deliver something perfect after all.

Until i get to play it personally that shall be my view on the subject.

My mates a BIG duke nukem fan so I'm sure he'll get around to getting it eventually and I'll get to play it when that happens so i guess i'll be back when i get to try it myself.

Yeah, it was a given that it wouldn't live up to the hype but this game just feels several years old on a technical level, the voice acting is phoned in (I mean, Jon St. John sounded more into it in the

), most of the humor and oneliners just fall flat and the game as a whole just feels really unpolished.

The point isn't that it doesn't live up to the hype, but it also doesn't live up to the expectations of a good game.

• 7 months later...

So I've been watching an LP of this lately because I got 90% through the game and gave up, and it's just as painful to watch as it was to play.

It occurs to me that I never really commented on the game after it came out. I feel like my money was not well spent UNLESS it went 100% to Gearbox. Gearbox released the game 3d Realms butchered, and thus now has the rights to future Duke Nukem projects. If my money went to Gearbox and helps them make a good Duke Nukem game, I won't feel nearly as bad as I do right now.

This game ended up playing like a walkthrough of the worst mis-steps of FPS history; a by-the-points demonstration of what not to make in a game.

/endrantstillrelevant8monthsafterrelease