GeckoYamori gets famous (or: how the genesis is still hated by some Nintendo fanboys)

Nekofrog

Not bad at all really, the brinstar tracks were pretty much the highlights of the super metroid renditions; although the other parts held up just as well.

He sure as hell did justice for the "Splash Hill Zone" track.

The MMX3 Intro Genesis Remix is where I would have to agree I wished it had came out on the Genesis if it sounded that good. This is further pushed by the "Blast Hornet" Genesis mix which, while more synthy, just fits it more so. Toxic Seahorse just sounds perfected on the Genesis soundchip.

This just makes me realize my early dislike for the Genesis's FM Synthesis was absolutely misplaced. Good show, sir. I must now get all MP3 copies of these, if they exist.

Yeah some games didn't do it justice as it seemed like the composers didn't know how to maximize its potential, but imo when it was used well, it was pretty damn AWESOME.

Yeah some games didn't do it justice as it seemed like the composers didn't know how to maximize its potential, but imo when it was used well, it was pretty damn AWESOME.

You mean like Wolfchild, Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer, and TMNT: Tournament Fighters? Yeah, those are the ones that kinda won me over from the dark side.

Gecko is doing massive justice to that soundchip.

Also known as "Apple vs. Orange, the Armageddon".

When it was used well, it was pretty damn AWESOME.

Pretty much goes for every sound chip. No one complained about the NES stuff, which worked off the same technology, had less to work with, but also had no real console competition, while the state of the art in console sound synthesis was apparently no match for cheap, quickly looped samples. Of course, this comparison of two completely different sound technologies was just another excuse to dump on the opposing console. You had to be almost a professor in sound design to get great results out of a Genesis, and you usually had to go into major megabit territory to get good enough samples on the SNES side. For every Genesis Street Fighter II, I give you SNES Thunder Spirits. Either can fail if you don't put the work in.

Fuck Genesis haters. >: (

Technically speaking, the SNES soundchip was 'better', but the Genesis/Megadrive had such a unique sound that I find really intriguing and fun, even as a Nintendo fanboy owning an SNES as a kid.

I guess I was never really 'snobbish' about music as a kid- when I heard a good song, it didn't matter on what console it was on, whether it was Game Gear, Genesis, SNES, or GameBoy. Of course, if you didn't like it, that was fine, but personally, I loved how the SNES and Genesis could do music so differently.

As for MMX3, well, shit, of course it sounds better, because Gecko didn't go the retard route that the composer of X3 went and use the same shitty (and I mean SHITTY) guitar sample for EVERY SINGLE SONG. The songs actually sound GOOD when they're not all that terrible, terrible, grainy, crunchy, AWFUL guitar sound. Which is why the PS version of X3 = love. A pal of mine who pretty much hates X3's music for the same reason admits "Gecko is the only one who actually made [Toxic Seahorse] sound GOOD"

As I have gotten older, I have really gravitated towards the Genesis FM chip because of its uniqueness (and have made my own custom Genesis songs as a result of this fascination)- not the least thanks in part to other forums I go to that have very BIG old game music afficianados where their Genesis and 90s computer game music love has rubbed off on me.

When I was a little kid, I had everythingggg Nintendo made, but I always wanted a Sega Genesis. My cousin had one, I'd see them in the stores all the time, I was in LOVE with Sonic, but it wasn't until Genesis was on it's way out that my dad bought up the whole Sega Voltron (Sega CD, Genesis, 32X). I loved it. All of it. From Sonic to Sewer Sharks.

Fast forward 10 years later. My modded XBOX has 320GBs of space, and I want to drop a full Genesis romset on there and see what other Genesis games were like... not a fan. Not a fan at all. The mainstream Sonics, Phantasy Stars, all love, but evertyhing else well...I realize why it never got good.

This is not to say that NES and SNES had it's bad games but...it felt like when things on Genesis were done badly, they were very bad. The harshness of the sound chip was REALLY badly implemented by some...and it just hurt.

Gecko is a great example of Genesis music done right x1000 though.

The Genesis' chip is unique in that it almost requires the user to either be incredibly clever with the instruments if they want symphonic instruments (see Bloodlines), or that they use a more electronic or rock/metal founded style. Personally, I see it as sounding great when done correctly, without crushing my ears. Then again, I don't have much issues with chiptunes in general... :lol:

So far as I've heard, though, this really sounds like great stuff. Kudos to Gecko!

EDIT: NICE one with the Toxic Seahorse.

You guys have to admit though, going from the

, to
, and finally
, would you go back? I can understand remixers/arrangers going back as far as to the NES/Arcade version for bare bone subjects but for the regular listener..?

Edit* I totally forgot another series that was great on the Genesis, fucking Splatterhouse 2 man!

Best track imo

Splatterhouse 3 OST is somewhat of a mixed bag but seem to fit perfectly without being ear-grating. I'd say the composer was having a lot of fun going nuts with it though; especially for the boss fight track used on that damn Teddy bear, not just any teddy bear fuck no. :lol:

First track playing amazes me that it was done on a Genesis.

This reminds me, even if the remake/continuation/reboot of Splatterhouse/SpH4 turns out to be mediocre, I'm still getting it after hearing the original Japanese version of Splatterhouse, as well as Splatterhouse 2 and 3 will be unlockables on the disc.

Some of the comments in there are really amusing. Like "SNES could sound exactly like the Genesis if they actually wanted to". Some people need to do at least some basic research before making statements like that. It seems when it comes to music discussions, it's always those who are least knowledgable about a subject who act like they are such a high authority on it. Like people dismissing rap/hip hop as simply talking over a beat, or elecronic music being just pushing a couple of buttons and letting the machine do the work for you. It's all fine and dandy if you simply say you don't like the renditions.

The SPC and YM2612 each have different weaknesses and strengths which they excel in. I didn't do all of the tracks necessarily to make them "better", just different, like The Super Metroid ones. I've been meaning to do some vice-versa conversions at some point, in fact I dabbled in making a Shinobi 3 song using Mega Man X samples once, but tuning the instruments right pissed me off as early Capcom SNES music have problems in that the loop points are set so fast, when the instruments begin looping they actually start playing in a slightly different frequency. I also need to pick up some other sequencing-related tricks to actually get it to feel like a MMX track.

I think Genesis music gets a worse reputation overall because the cream of the crop sound-wise tend to be obscurities and hidden gems, which the mainstream aren't familiar with.

Also neko you can relay my response to the thread if you feel like it.

The Genesis and the SNES both had a unique feel to them that, when done properly, could produce some amazing soundtracks. I've never owned a Genesis, but some songs are just better suited to the Genesis sound capabilities. I especially love the MMX3 conversions. Very, very well done. I wish that's the way it had sounded in the actual game.

It seems when it comes to music discussions, it's always those who are least knowledgable about a subject who act like they are such a high authority on it.

It's not just in regard to music, unfortunately.

The Genesis can sound grating, but that is usually the fault of the sound designer. The YM2612 has friggin' great bass. I've never heard as good of a bass on a SNES game as heard in Streets of Rage. Yeah, lots of bad sounds in many games, but the same holds true for the SNES as well. Whereas the Genesis has a reputation for

, the SNES has a reputation for sounding ultra-muffled and using mass amounts of reverb in an attempt to disguise it.

I think you've turned me into a believer. I've always thought the Genesis sound grated on my ears as I've been a true-blue SNES chiptune fan my whole life, but those MMX3 covers were awesome and improved on the originals 100%. Now I understand why I never liked the SNES original soundtracks for X2 and X3 much.

The sound of
blows every SNES game away.

Final Fantasy 6, Secret of Mana, and Seiken Densetsu 3 says hi.

I personally never thought about the console when it came to sound - if it sounded good/had a good arrangement, I liked it and that was all that counted.

That said, I must be the only one who isn't a fan of the Toxic Seahorse rendition :(