GeckoYamori gets famous (or: how the genesis is still hated by some Nintendo fanboys)

Nekofrog

Just curious: I'm wondering if many of the "ear-screech" opinions were the result of listening to Genesis chiptunes or emulators instead of an ACTUAL Genesis? SPC's can sound almost exactly like a real SNES, but the FM in the Gen formats are pure and unadulterated, as opposed to the warm (almost too warm) Genesis hardware output. Big difference IMO. That's why I rip my tunes from the original machine, and why I need to look for carts of Moonwalker and Incredible Hulk.

Final Fantasy 6, Secret of Mana, and Seiken Densetsu 3 says hi.

I really can not stress that one enough. I was vaguely familiar with SD3 until just recently when starla came over and was playing through it. I was absolutely blown away by every aspect of this game. To say it push the limits of that area of video games would be an extreme understatement. That game makes every other game made on the SNES and Genesis look like Super Mario Land.

If you haven't done so yourself, I recommend anyone who's a fan of the genre play through it, or at least watch a full play through to simply experience it. You will not regret it at all.

I really can not stress that one enough. I was vaguely familiar with SD3 until just recently when starla came over and was playing through it. I was absolutely blown away by every aspect of this game. To say it push the limits of that area of video games would be an extreme understatement. That game makes every other game made on the SNES and Genesis look like Super Mario Land.

SD3 is a very nice game, including from a technical standpoint. But it's no

Just curious: I'm wondering if many of the "ear-screech" opinions were the result of listening to Genesis chiptunes or emulators instead of an ACTUAL Genesis?

It was my impression from renting games like Rock n' Roll Racing and Sonic Spinball back in the days. I am not too fond of the synths used for these games as they sound pretty strident. People not familiar with what the Genesis has to offer musically may think most soundtracks sound like that, but obviously it's not true.

Schwaltz: I'd definitely go back to the SNES version of Ghouls n' Ghosts.

The PSP remix, while sounding nice... just seems to lack the energy that the ol' SPC can provide in this case. :P

AMT:

On top of being a fucking great OST, several of my friends say that Contra Hard Corps is easily the best of the Contra series. I've never played it myself, but if we judge by OST alone I certainly could believe it.

Coyote:

Great fucking examples of Genesis music. Konami had their shit together on that one.

SD3 is a very nice game, including from a technical standpoint. But it's no

Holy moly, if I had fucking played that game as a kid I think I'd die from an awesome overload.

Man, I really got the shit end of the stick so much as a kid in the VG department.

For every Earthworm Jim and DKC2 I had, I had at least 5 Zoops or Bugs Bunny Rabbit Rampages to make up for it.

AMT:

On top of being a fucking great OST, several of my friends say that Contra Hard Corps is easily the best of the Contra series. I've never played it myself, but if we judge by OST alone I certainly could believe it.

It really, really is. A lot of people don't like it because they say it was just boss battles, but that's WHY I like it- the game is intense battle after intense battle. After playing it, all other Contra games just feel slow in comparison (With maybe the exception of Shattered Soldier). It's such a great game. Also, that Batman game looks amazing, I need to try this.

If you haven't done so yourself, I recommend anyone who's a fan of the genre play through it, or at least watch a full play through to simply experience it. You will not regret it at all.

Indeed. And then join the project!! :D (shameless, I know. project lead's prerogative :D)

On topic, I'm now officially putting the sega genesis sound on my list of things that are cool and that I should investigate more.

Or perhaps even more on topic: I'm a big fan of source-appropriate and think the chiptune sound trend needs more of the real chip stuff, but some of the haters on neogaf are hilarious. :D

Gotta love the heavy gargling in each and every stage on the Genesis version~! :lol:

As much as I'd prefer the SNES version we both know that the PC/Sega CD version's are best.

Perhaps, but those don't count :-P

And while the voice samples aren't quite as good in EJ1 on the Genesis, I've always felt the music is every bit as good, if not better, because it fits more with the Genesis synth sound than the SNES sample sound. EJ2 on the other hand, is the opposite to me.

And just for shits and giggles...

vs.

vs.

vs.

(loops at 3:15)

Oh Dragon's Fury....such a surreal game with such awesome music. The 1st stage is the best IMO, though. So underrated.

Arcus Odyssey was another little-known gem I have loved since my childhood for its music. Motoi Sakuraba is the shyte.

Oh Dragon's Fury....such a surreal game with such awesome music. The 1st stage is the best IMO, though. So underrated.

Arcus Odyssey was another little-known gem I have loved since my childhood for its music. Motoi Sakuraba is the shyte.

I made a remix from that game a couple years back...

http://thecoop.110mb.com/music/The_Coop_-_Arcus_Odyssey_-_A_Few_More_Miles_To_Go.zip