Alundra - Are you ready to get your asses kicked by an action RPG?

The Legendary Zoltan

If you've EVER thought that you like games like Zelda but wished the bosses, puzzles and story weren't only targeting little kids AND you own a PS3, then you need to get on the network and buy the newly released PS1 classic Alundra right now!

For those of you who don't know about this game, it's a lot like Zelda, as I mentioned, except it has a much darker and deeper story, more difficult bosses, and, the most outstanding feature, REALLY hard puzzles. Try going through the whole game without ever looking at a guide. I did that and was stuck on several puzzles for hours! But when you're done, it feels like you really had the epic adventure that most RPGs strive to deliver but often fail to.

My main testament for this game:

There are a lot of damn good old games out there. However, sometimes when you play some of those old games, they aren't as good as you remember them or as good as the hype because we've been spoiled by the more advanced systems. But the first time I played Alundra was just 5 years ago and it BLEW MY SOUL!

That's all. If you end up playing it for the first time after this, please state your opinions in the thread. I'm dying to know what new players think.

oh sweet I've always heard good things about this but never had the chance to find a copy

I'll be grabbing it later

Sweet! I've converted one person. Mwahaha!

Hey, I remember Alundra. I was in a game rental store and found the paper map inside the case on the shelf. Being a little shit, I stole the map. I don't remember which store this was in or where, it might have been in Los Angeles or in Boston.

I never did play the actual game though.

You stole a map to a game that you don't know anything about? WTF! Go get buy the god damn game!

Alundra... aaah.... the memories, I absolutely love the village in Alundra, it's classic. The music in the game is top notch too.. I'd play this game over and over again over a new Hyrule Rehash lol. This game is immortal in my eyes and ears :-D

Just bought it again, even though I have the original Working Designs package sitting on my shelf. Getting Arc The Lad 1+2 when 2 is released as well. Games these days need to get their passion factor up because I still think PS1 and 2 beats the crap out of the PS3 era.

EDIT: Oh... and the puzzles in Alundra smashed my balls to pieces.. had to go stare in guides to get past some of em. :-(

Alundra... aaah.... the memories, I absolutely love the village in Alundra, it's classic. The music in the game is top notch too.. I'd play this game over and over again over a new Hyrule Rehash lol. This game is immortal in my eyes and ears :-D

Just bought it again, even though I have the original Working Designs package sitting on my shelf. Getting Arc The Lad 1+2 when 2 is released as well. Games these days need to get their passion factor up because I still think PS1 and 2 beats the crap out of the PS3 era.

Yes. We should hang out.

Alright so i got Alundra on ps3 and as far as the art work is conserned it really reminds me of Landstalkers... which makes me wish this game was in Isometric view...

also i love the arc the lad series so much that getting both these ps1 classics was at the top of my list (next to sonic 4)

Ectogemia: When you say "pick up a copy" do you mean download it or an actual PS1 disc? Because the original games are really rare and expensive these days. It comes with an AWESOME booklet though. It even has a map of your town. Love it. But the PS3 downloadable one is only 6 bucks I think. Quite a steal compared to the EIGHTY BUCKS!!!! I paid for my original one.

I forgot to mention that, yes, the music is also excellent. The town's theme is gonna have you singing along as soon as you hear the guy say "Ooh!" The first dungeon and the last dungeon are my two favorite songs. I can't wait until you first time players get stuck on your first puzzle or the villagers start getting pissed off at you about ******. You're gonna be in love.

Ectogemia: When you say "pick up a copy" do you mean download it or an actual PS1 disc? Because the original games are really rare and expensive these days. It comes with an AWESOME booklet though. It even has a map of your town. Love it. But the PS3 downloadable one is only 6 bucks I think. Quite a steal compared to the EIGHTY BUCKS!!!! I paid for my original one.

I forgot to mention that, yes, the music is also excellent. The town's theme is gonna have you singing along as soon as you hear the guy say "Ooh!" The first dungeon and the last dungeon are my two favorite songs. I can't wait until you first time players get stuck on your first puzzle or the villagers start getting pissed off at you about ******. You're gonna be in love.

I remember paying 65 bucks for an original ps1 disk set of Valkyrie Profile

soooooo worth it

When I said I'd pick it up, I thought it'd be easy.

Well, fuck me.

I went all starry-eyed on to eBay and found a copy for $6 with only an hour left. I popped in the highest bid at $6.50 and thought I'd ride the wave til the last 10 seconds and raise my bid to $10 at 1 second left. That way I'd win for sure!

Some jackass put in a bid at like $40 at 1 second left and squashed my meager $10 raise.

Looks like eBay is out of the picture. As it turns out, though, my locally-owned game store down the street is selling it on the cheap because it's run by business-retarded people (mind you, that's fine with me!). I'll be playing it within the hour, I hope.

Shameless:

But in the name of Alundra mind you lol

Awesome!

I remember paying 65 bucks for an original ps1 disk set of Valkyrie Profile

soooooo worth it

Worth it!

As it turns out, though, my locally-owned game store down the street is selling it on the cheap because it's run by business-retarded people (mind you, that's fine with me!). I'll be playing it within the hour, I hope.

Not only is a rare game just sitting at your local shop but it's also cheap?! Where the heck do you live? I wanna go there.

Question to those who have played the game:

If you watch the entire demo before starting the game, you'll see a ton of in-game scenes. During some of those scenes Alundra is dashing all over the place. If you don't remember what I mean, check out the scene at 2:54 in Dual Dragons' Youtube video. My question is how do you change directions during a run. I've always thought that you could only run in one direction at a time.

Awesome!

Worth it!

Not only is a rare game just sitting at your local shop but it's also cheap?! Where the heck do you live? I wanna go there.

Question to those who have played the game:

If you watch the entire demo before starting the game, you'll see a ton of in-game scenes. During some of those scenes Alundra is dashing all over the place. If you don't remember what I mean, check out the scene at 2:54 in Dual Dragons' Youtube video. My question is how do you change directions during a run. I've always thought that you could only run in one direction at a time.

The store is called Game World. There's a carwash place across town called Wash World with the same logo and font as Game World... I do not understand this decision.

My question is how do you change directions during a run. I've always thought that you could only run in one direction at a time.

Because of this thread, I also started playing this game (I cant believe I missed this gem). Anyway, this question also kind of interests me, I know that you can change the direction you are running by merely moving the d-pad, but it takes a quite a bit longer than what is shown in the movie, however, I noticed that while you are running, if you press the jump button you do a little slide move, looking back at the video, I noticed that Alundra goes into the slide animation a little bit before quickly changing directions, so I think it has something to do with that. I don't have time to test it right now, but I will soon, and post back if I find anything concrete.

Alright so i got Alundra on ps3 and as far as the art work is conserned it really reminds me of Landstalkers... which makes me wish this game was in Isometric view...

also i love the arc the lad series so much that getting both these ps1 classics was at the top of my list (next to sonic 4)

I seem to recall that a number of the same people worked on both games. Considering the era, that game had one of the darker RPG stories as well.

I loved Alundra.. still own my PS1 copy.. Game gets tricky enough they actually have a weapon you can earn for getting the hell knocked out of you enough times to help curve difficulty in the later half of the game. Was fun, still pick it up every few months or so to play through it again.

An hour and a half into the game, and I'm loving it! Thanks for recommending it. It'll make writing my term paper due this Friday an even more impossible task.

The music for the first town kicks ass, too. I love the "HUHH"!

I knew it I knew it I knew it! It's just not possible to dislike the "Uhh!" I want to know what the first puzzle you get stuck on is when you get to it. There was actually, I think two optional puzzles that I never could get the answer for. So whenever I finally go back and play it again I'll have to take care of those. Finish that paper so you can play it guilt-free.

Haha, well, the first puzzle I got stuck on was the one in Wendell's dream (which is like the 4th puzzle in the game...) because there was a block that slid away from a chest when you hit a certain lever. It was apparent that you would have to get this chest later in the maze, and the "only" way to do so was to plan ahead and make sure that block wasn't in the way when you got there.

... turns out that the lever that moves that block also moves one WAY off screen that was blocking my path.

My gamer logic defeated me as I kept hitting all the levers in the level EXCEPT THAT ONE to try to figure out how to move the one block in my way because I didn't want to cover up the path to that chest later in the dungeon.

Looks like I'll have to think outside the box some more.

Also, I found that the first boss in Wendell's dream was harder than any Zelda boss. This game is going to be awesome.

Haha, well, the first puzzle I got stuck on was the one in Wendell's dream (which is like the 4th puzzle in the game...) because there was a block that slid away from a chest when you hit a certain lever. It was apparent that you would have to get this chest later in the maze, and the "only" way to do so was to plan ahead and make sure that block wasn't in the way when you got there.

... turns out that the lever that moves that block also moves one WAY off screen that was blocking my path.

My gamer logic defeated me as I kept hitting all the levers in the level EXCEPT THAT ONE to try to figure out how to move the one block in my way because I didn't want to cover up the path to that chest later in the dungeon.

Looks like I'll have to think outside the box some more.

Also, I found that the first boss in Wendell's dream was harder than any Zelda boss. This game is going to be awesome.

Actually, that puzzle is more logical than you think because ALL of the switches move ALL of the blocks between their two positions. Your life sounds so awesome right now. Make sure you don't pass any chests that in your dreams. Some of them contain life vessels or gilded falcons which can never be gotten if you missed them the first time. The same is true for most chests in the entire game, really.