Windmill Hut Electronica ReMix

Capt. Stupidity

I know there area lot of Windmill Hut/Song of Storms remixes, but none of them seem to be getting posted which is a shame. So, I thought I'd take a stab at it. Here's my electronica/trance/techno version (I'm no good with genre labeling). It's short, but I may extend it a bit.

Click here to listen to storm_doors_-_windmill_hut_remix_-_WIP_v2.mp3

The remixes of this track hardly get posted, I imagine, because the source is so simple and short. Expansion of it has got to be a nigthmare.

So, here's what happened. I was listening to this, and all I could think was "generic blah blah blah." And then you pull the last 30 seconds completely out of your ass and it was AMAZING! I mean, okay, it's not the best produced and was only 30 seconds, but there was a flash of real genius there! You want to get a mix of a difficult source posted? Expand on THAT.

When you are playing around with the source, inserting and taking out notes, extending and delaying, and then that little chippy section you have, carry on good sir!

Good luck, I'll follow this one :D

While I'm not as impressed with the last 30 seconds of source, there are definitely some ideas here worth expanding on, not just in the end but also elsewhere. Scale back on the loudness and work on the sound. It's currently pretty harsh. Work on the mixing, you've got a weird sound balance throughout.

One of two problems with remixing the source is that it's 3/4 and most ppl trying their hand at remixing don't know what that is. You've at least adapted it to 4/4, making the rhythm make sense, and the track as a whole a little less interesting. The other problem being that the source is short and repetitive without a lot to draw on, so you'll have to take more liberties with it to make it interesting enough in a remix. I'd suggest experimenting with scales/modes to get some ideas of what you could do with it. Also, my mix of it might give you some idea of what, apparently, worked for ocr.

Fix the sound, expand on your ideas. Good luck. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I personally LOVED. AND I MEAN LOVED the sounds I just heard. True, the source is really small (catchy and amazing, but small), and does better when it's woven in in a medley, but I like what you did. Maybe expand on the drums a little more? And elongate the song, like putting a buildup with the drums and bass (kind of like what you had at the end of the song), and building into an explosion (cymbal crash, drop down, build up, then explode into the source).

Overall, loved it, and you should, uh, totally teach me how to mimic (edit: pay tribute to) those synths :) PLEASE!!!

I have a new version of the song done. It needs a lot of work, but the bad thing is FL crashed and I don't have any data of the song saved so I will have to start from scratch again.

I have a section at the end where I try expanding on the theme a bit and I plan to draw that part out more and end with the main windmill theme.