OCR02111 - NBA Jam "From Downtown"

djpretzel

Oh the insane nostalgia.. I loved the original track (especially the Genesis version!) and this arrangement/performance is godlike, in a style rarely tackled on the site. Infinite claps to the artists! Easily becoming one of my fav remixes on the website; my only nitpick is that I'd love to hear a longer clavinet (I think?) solo/long & fast run à la Herbie Hancock but otherwise this is perfection :)

• 2 weeks later...

fantastic, a blast from the past. i remember playing this game with my dad as a kid, i swear it was the only game he was EVER good at.. I couldn't for the life of me remember how the original song went going into this, but once the track kicks in, it's instant nostalgia. kunal's arrangements and production always seem to be of exceptional quality imo (great job to the other performers here as well of course), and I look forward to his next mix. :D

Oh the insane nostalgia.. I loved the original track (especially the Genesis version!) and this arrangement/performance is godlike, in a style rarely tackled on the site. Infinite claps to the artists! Easily becoming one of my fav remixes on the website; my only nitpick is that I'd love to hear a longer clavinet (I think?) solo/long & fast run à la Herbie Hancock but otherwise this is perfection :)

I, too, would have liked to hear some longer/more pronounced solos, especially some that don't have the source playing in the background. While the guys get astoundingly much out of the rather short source tune, I do feel that the remix becomes somewhat repetitive in the second half, simply because the original riff is almost always there.

Nevertheless, nice work.

• 1 month later...

The intro to this mix is fantastic. The guitars, piano, drums, and synths all shine, but I feel as though the mix doesn't do much after the intro until around 1:30, when the piano soloing really takes this track to another level. The strong drum work after the piano solo really stands out, and the ending is solid as well. Enjoyed this mix very much!

Love the drumming on this one right from the start. The song feels a little sparse for a while until around :54, but after that point I'm digging it. Especially given the source you were working with, this is a great effort. Piano soloing around 1:24 is a real highlight for me, this totally feels like a Bad Dudes track after that point (as if it didn't already!)

I think everyone has a different point where the track clicks for them, but regardless I think it's ultimately an enjoyable listen and a great expansive take on the source.

• 11 months later...

Hard to do anything that's less than 10 seconds long, but I can trust ktriton's style working so well with something like that.

The familiarity is there throughout, though even then there's definitely some great expansion taken to the original even with the brief switchs to 7/4 at around 1:10 and again at 2:10, the blissful piano solo taken after it and some very solid live instrument playing here. I also really got to complient the tone to Steve's guitars; it adds that nice 1970s blues feel to it to compliment the rest of the instruments, which when seeing the Wikipedia snippet in the description isn't surprising.

This to me is a good example of how a short track should be done, and I feel very happy that you managed to create something at this kind of expansive level. That and the rest of the Bad Dudes' album really was a push up for them in regards to arrangement for me, so a very well accomplished task indeed! :)

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02111 - NBA Jam "From Downtown"