Brinstar Overgrown with Vegetation Christmas Remix

Wiggly Squid

As I have failed at this song, I'm gonna vent my anger out on it.

Just kidding.

The concept is really cool, never thought of it before. By terms of mixing, it's really good. But by musical terms...it's really not.

Notes clash, the big bell sound doesn't fit, and even the beginning notes clash with themselves! Which shows me that you got this from a MIDI, because I used the same one, and it clashed in the exact same way. So, you might want to fix all of those things. Some of the chords are weird, and I don't find conga/bongo drums in christmas music.

And, since I'm pretty sure I know one or more of the instruments you're using, there aren't any effects on them.

Fix it. Keep at it. Do it well. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback. I am pleased you liked the concept. You are right about all the instruments as I haven't touched them at all besides raw midi imports. You especially are correct about the bells. I thought it was a good idea to incorporate a little of the "Carol of the Bells" as it seemed to fit but now that you mention it, the bells need to be way more subtle.

I am very pleased with parts of it structure-wise but I want to keep working at other parts. The transition at 0:37 I am not happy with as it doesn't keep any of the feeling of "building up" as the original tune does at that point. The 0:22-0:36 part was particularly difficult to adapt. I am happy with the strings part at that point but I want to improve the base. I also think it needs to be a little longer and have some ideas for that, such as incorporating a little more of the main melody from "Carol of the Bells".

Thanks again

Rough indeed. Clashing notes and ugly sounds. :P

The percussion sounds like it could be fine with a touch of reverb and some EQ, the rest of the sounds are pretty ugly. Some of them could probably be salvaged, but it'd help to step away from the instrumentation of the original and approach this anew.

The arrangement is pretty much a midi rip of Brinstar Green cut up with insertions of xmas tracks. The source is well known and easily identified in most of its adaptations so you could take some more liberties with it to avoid clashes. Seems to me like most clashes here are clashes between the source and the xmas insertions. The bass, btw, is an octave too low to sound good.

Missing the last note, btw. Would be cool to have it there at the end, after a bar or so, swelling and just ending the track big.

It's a cool idea, keep working on it. Don't be afraid to rewrite parts, change chords, move stuff around to make things fit better with the idea. Good luck and have fun. :)

Wiggly Squid, now that you say that you're trying to fit in parts of Carol of the Bells, I think that the concept of "Christmas" hasn't really set in with you.

Christmas music is...

--Full of bells

--Little dings

--Think of a christmas tree.

Putting other carols in it doesn't make it christmas.