Some tracks I have done for games

SavageLand

LOL, Nice!

I was super excited to be featured in Mass Effect with Jack Wall. There are a few other tracks/artists in the game that most don't know about:

1. Saki Kaskas - Callista (Upper Afterlife)

2. Jesse James Allen (That's Me) - LoFi Epic - The Techno Madness Mix (Lower Afterlife) :)

3. John Morgan - Happiness (Dark Star Lounge)

4. Comaduster - To Hide To Seek (Eternity Bar)

Awesome man! I love when composers from video games display their stuff in here. Its nice to get a look into how this all went down. :D

Being a PS3 fanboy, i haven't had the opportunity YET to play ME2, but looking forward to it in January next year. I've heard some of the music from the game, mostly from here, and also on youtube.

I have a question sir. How does someone end up working for a video game shop ?

Is it a home-based work, part-time based on a contract of a given amount of money/hours ?

How does it work ? I've wanted to make a few tunes for video games company but they never called me ;P

edit: btw, love the track !

Answer: I came at it from the TV and Film side of things, 10 years in post production primarily cleaning up badly recorded dialogue but I had a huge background in original sound design (especially for vehicles). I decided to jump ship from TV/Film and found an ad for EA on Monster.com. I got an email addy from the reply and wrote them every week for about 7 months keeping them up on what I was doing in audio engineering (like an email audio blog). Eventually an opening came around and by chance it was for a racing game so they gave me a call.

So first and foremost game companies need sound effect designers/integrators. You gotta love sound design. If you do and you just so happen to be a composer on top of that you can get a full time well paid career at it. I have done 32 AAA games and still every year it is a whole new experience because technology advances so dang fast. You have to love learning as well because it never stops, the industry is always evolving.

I do know a few composers that just do music for games/film, they are few and far between and it's very competitive. If you know sound design, location recording, speech editing, audio integration (Lua, Wwise, Fmod, C++) anything like that you will quickly step in front of your competition.

If you don't know where to start.. buy Native Instruments Komplete, seriously the best set of sound design tools on the planet.

After that download Wwise from Audio Kinetic... Between those two things and a lot of creativity and drive... well you would be on your way.

No joke

Cheers,

JJ

Answer: I came at it from the TV and Film side of things, 10 years in post production primarily cleaning up badly recorded dialogue but I had a huge background in original sound design (especially for vehicles). I decided to jump ship from TV/Film and found an ad for EA on Monster.com. I got an email addy from the reply and wrote them every week for about 7 months keeping them up on what I was doing in audio engineering (like an email audio blog). Eventually an opening came around and by chance it was for a racing game so they gave me a call.

So first and foremost game companies need sound effect designers/integrators. You gotta love sound design. If you do and you just so happen to be a composer on top of that you can get a full time well paid career at it. I have done 32 AAA games and still every year it is a whole new experience because technology advances so dang fast. You have to love learning as well because it never stops, the industry is always evolving.

I do know a few composers that just do music for games/film, they are few and far between and it's very competitive. If you know sound design, location recording, speech editing, audio integration (Lua, Wwise, Fmod, C++) anything like that you will quickly step in front of your competition.

If you don't know where to start.. buy Native Instruments Komplete, seriously the best set of sound design tools on the planet.

After that download Wwise from Audio Kinetic... Between those two things and a lot of creativity and drive... well you would be on your way.

No joke

Cheers,

JJ

Wwise is great and the designer interface is spectacular and readily accessible to the kind of interface with which musicians are familiar, but if you're starting out on the bottom and you don't have 10 years experience in audio under your belt, you are going to want to tackle FMOD--it's harder to access, in my opinion, as it's much more scripter/programmer oriented (speaking to the design tool), but it's cheaper for indies to license than Wwise (like 15k to 0.5k type difference).

It may also be a nice gateway into doing other kinds of engine style scriptors like UDK's Kismet or Matinee, etc.

Or NETWORK YOUR EVER LOVING ASS OFF. (actually, do that anyway, no matter what you do)