Latency problem with Axiom 61 Pro controller

So I just got my M-Audio Axiom 61 Pro controller in the mail today.

YES.

But!!! The latency is kind of annoying. I'm able to get it down to 43ms on FLStudio 9. I have no idea what a "good" latency is, as I've just recently gotten into MIDI, but I can tell it ain't 43 ms. I'm a pianist, so it's killing me to play sweeping passages and be able to feel the notes coming out well after I hit them ::shudder::

I'd like some input on how to reduce my latency. I'm aware it's either probably a CPU or sound card issue, and given that I have this laptop with a shitter onboard soundcard, I would imagine that's the problem.

That being said, I'm only computer literate, not computer brilliant, so my own diagnosis is operating from a not-so-grand working knowledge of things. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

I installed the ASIO4ALL driver and switched to the driver from the "Primary Software Device" (which works but has high latency). Upon doing this, I lost output and couldn't hear anything, although the input from my controller was still registering. My roommate, an audio engineer, tried to help and fiddled with the buffer length and increased it. Now, when I switch to ASIO4ALL from the default driver, my computer freezes?

Plan B is to uninstall the ASIO driver to bring it back to default settings and see if I can finagle it some.

Plan B.5 is whatever anyone else's advice is, maybe some other drivers, settings, or ways to fiddle with the ASIO driver as to prevent freezing and allow output.

ASIO4ALL only works when there is only one application running that has sound output. (so yes, even if you're running a youtube video in firefox or something, that needs to be closed)

ASIO4ALL is terrible because of that, so close down all other applications and start FL Studio AFTERWARDS. Lower the buffer as much as you want. Lower buffer -> less latency -> faster computer response from your keyboard but very slow response from intense audio processing in the playlist like lots of synthesizers, samples and effects.

So on the flip side, you might want to jack up the buffer if you're not recording, because it'll help process the audio faster and not make your computer stutter because of extreme CPU usage.

ASIO4ALL is generally good when you want better response and better processing, but it only works when your DAW (FL Studio in this case) is the only application running that has sound output.

Maybe because his brother is a judge on the site and has a number of posted remixes ;)

Only half true, only some of the audio information i learned from Shariq. A lot of audio stuff I learned from people like zircon and just browsing these forums and general.

And don't blame video games because I play video games ALL THE TIME ever since i was like 5.

Hah, trust me, I'm not blaming video games. What kind of sick bastard would EVER blame VIDEO GAMES for ANYTHING!!?!?? :dstrbd:

That being said, I shirked a lot of piano practice back in the day to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-play Chrono Trigger or just about any other SNES JRPG. Meanwhile, the Chinese kid down the street was practicing piano 4 hours a day and playing Carnegie Hall at age 13 (no joke).

Yeeeaah. Having some direction from DarkeSword could help... I'm kind of going it alone here. Anyone else find the learning curve for electronic music stupidly steep? Can't wait to get over it. This MIDI controller I just got that isn't mapping automatically to FL Studio either is just more shit on the shit pile.

This MIDI controller I just got that isn't mapping automatically to FL Studio either is just more shit on the shit pile.

Did you try going to Options > MIDI Settings and check the Enable box?

What kind of sick bastard would EVER blame VIDEO GAMES for ANYTHING!!?!?? :dstrbd:

Parents who protest against them because they think violent games are bad for humanity.:lol:

Did you try going to Options > MIDI Settings and check the Enable box?

Parents who protest against them because they think violent games are bad for humanity.:lol:

Nooo, I mean that I'm having trouble mapping the knobs and twirlys and faders and so forth to FL Studio. In fact, I have no idea how to do it. I'll probably have to read a guide after I churn out this 12 page paper :( I'm tired of college! Always getting in the way of my music!!

Hah, I remember my mom thinking for the longest time that violent video games would make me murder everything. I wasn't allowed to have Mortal Kombat when it came out... so I just went to my friend's house and played it all the time. Kome to think of it, the first cheat kode I ever looked up on the internet was the blood kode for MKI. Take that, mom.

Nooo, I mean that I'm having trouble mapping the knobs and twirlys and faders and so forth to FL Studio. In fact, I have no idea how to do it. I'll probably have to read a guide after I churn out this 12 page paper :( I'm tired of college! Always getting in the way of my music!!

Find out what MIDI Channels each of your knobs/sliders are going on. It'll have a Port Number and a channel or controller number.

Next, go to FL Studio. Whatever controllable knob/slider you want to correspond to a knob/slider on your keyboard, you right click the knob/slider (in Fl Studio) and hit Link To Controller. Set it to the controller number of the knob/slider on your keyboard that you want to control it with. I think this will only be saved in a specific project file, so map everything you want in a blank project. Name the project something, and stick it in the Templates folder. Note in the templates folder, there will be categories. In each category, there will be more folders and inside them will be the project files. Make sure you make a folder for your project file before sticking it in whatever category, because otherwise it won't recognize it.

ASIO4ALL only works when there is only one application running that has sound output. (so yes, even if you're running a youtube video in firefox or something, that needs to be closed)

ASIO4ALL is terrible because of that, so close down all other applications and start FL Studio AFTERWARDS.

Yes, but it actually is what made my new audio interface work. That's how bad Mackie drivers are. I guess I can/have to live with that.