OCR01257 - Kirby's Dream Land "Chopinesque Kirby"

djpretzel

Darn.. 2nd place again for review.

The beginning is kinda quiet.. but I guess that's part of it. If it bugs me too much I'll just raise it myself on cool edit.

This song is way awesome tho! Piano pieces are amazing, and this upholds everything ever set as a standard on OC. I've followed you in Wip's and PRC's bladiator, and I'm glad to see you've finally made it on.

It is short, but sweet. Definately on playlists and stuck in my head.

Right on bro, nice work.

Congrats on the hosting. It really is a nice little remix. (I liked it when I first heard it, :D) I was pained to see the words 'newcomer' in the intro though... I knew djp would use it, and to the OCR hosting world it's true, but I think he uses it too liberally. I mean you've been around for a year of PRC's right? Hardly new.

Oh well, I'm over it.

I suppose I'll get similar treatment when I get hosted. :?

I was pained to see the words 'newcomer' in the intro though... I knew djp would use it, and to the OCR hosting world it's true, but I think he uses it too liberally. I mean you've been around for a year of PRC's right? Hardly new.
Just consider yourself lucky to have been able to listen to Bladiator's music for all that time. I know I do. :)

Excellent arrangement, wonderful performance, good enough recording quality (aside from the hiss on the left). This is great. Chopin is my favorite composer, and this is definitely reminiscent of some of his waltzes.

I was really excited to hear this when I read about it on the judges decisions forum a day or two ago, and although I might have been even more impressed if it were styled after something like Fantasie-Impromptu or the Polonaise in A-flat, this is quite wonderful. I also hope to have a piano arrangement (or several) on this site eventually.

My hat's off to you, Bladiator. ^_^

I was pained to see the words 'newcomer' in the intro though... I knew djp would use it, and to the OCR hosting world it's true, but I think he uses it too liberally. I mean you've been around for a year of PRC's right? Hardly new.
Just consider yourself lucky to have been able to listen to Bladiator's music for all that time. I know I do. :)

Aww stop that, you guys, I'm blushing. :D

As an aside, this ended up being all in one take. The e-mail was written back when I did it on my keyboard, and then while it was in the submission process, I had time to go and get it recorded for real.

I also found out that the mics (specifically the left one) is going out in the recital hall I'm using to record in. I recently went back to record another piece and the recordings are unusable.

~Karl (Bladiator = Blade + Gladiator)

This is sooo good to listen to 8) The only quarrel I have is with the last 7 seconds of the song (after the lovely rit arpeggiated chords)- after that rit, the last 7 seconds just sounds out of place and is annoying to hear it finish so abruptly. But no one else mentioned that so I guess I'm the only one who feels that way about it. Nevertheless, this is a mighty fine composition and performance!

I also found out that the mics (specifically the left one) is going out in the recital hall I'm using to record in.

Yup. That high static in the left ear is pretty distracting. I suppose that the fuzz is also the reason why the volume of the piano isn't loud enough; and much quieter in the left ear. Sorry, it's just kind of annoying. It's hard to enjoy something when the power of the piano that you wanted emphasize is kind of lost in the recording. I probably wouldn't have posted this if it was my song, because of that issue (and the little noises outside the piano like you're moving or hitting something here and there).

Maybe it would have worked better if you recorded it straight to midi first; than used the same piano instrument when making it an mp3? Not sure. Anyway, some pretty cool chord and melody ideas; and I like it how you're hitting the keys pretty forcefully in some places to get the tension going. I like especially that section at 1:45 where it drops in pitch. Some interesting cycling note ideas.

As you said, this kind of stuff isn't really that difficult to make. Once you get the hang of all that stuff on the piano, playing something on the spot just comes naturally; for the most part. That's one thing about solo live recordings that I'm always iffy about, the simplicity of making them kind of makes you wonder how worthy they are of being shown to the public. I don't know, I'm gonna eat some cereal now. *hands bladator a bowl... cheers, to crazy and fun pianoizm!*

A big fan of classical music (Chopin in particular) and the Kirby games, I thoroughly enjoyed this mix. DIdn't notice any tech problems except low volume. I am listening on speakers, though.

Particularly enjoyable was 1:35 - the shift into minor key.

Looking forward to hearing more of your mixes!

VERY COOL! if too short, impressive, I couldn't write like this, or play it this well anyway, but it got me thinking, where's that OC remix that Kirby Swoosh was gonna do.... Grape Hill Harmonic or something... is it somewhere in UnMod or something? well back on topic, very cool and well played :D hope to hear more like it :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01257 - Kirby's Dream Land "Chopinesque Kirby"