First level for iPhone game

Speeeven

Hey guys, I'm working on an iPhone game with some people and we want kind of an epic Super Mario Galaxy kind of feel to it (without sounding too much like it). The first level is supposed to have a "brand new adventure" feel. The song ends abruptly, I know, but I'm pretty much just going to wrap it back around to the beginning to make it loop from here. Any suggestions on how to make it sound better overall? Thanks!

http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/235931_rqnwv/Happier%202-1.mp3

Hey guys, I'm working on an iPhone game with some people and we want kind of an epic Super Mario Galaxy kind of feel to it. The song ends abruptly, I know, but I'm pretty much just going to wrap it back around to the beginning to make it loop from here. Any suggestions on how to make it sound better overall? Thanks!

http://www.upload-mp3.com/files/235931_rqnwv/Happier%202-1.mp3

Hey man, really nice start.

If you can get away with it, tell your team you want an intro and loop for this, if they have to make it separate files and just make sure the audio engine is tight enough to loop seamless.

The opening makes a great intro, but it lacks the instrumental texture to make it feel like a full composition.

When the Timpani comes in, it starts to feel like a full song, but it doesn't add much, and your doubling the low brass makes for a very muddy and buzzy sound. If you can find a way to SHAPE the samples you're using, to give them an articulate definition, that would go a long way in making sure your low brass doublings don't muddy up the whole composition, it's actually difficult to listen to.

The other consideration is this, you're working on the iphone, so low-lows don't really mean as much coming from an iphone speaker. You want to make sure your cues sound great on headphones, if the player uses them, but if they don't you want to make sure they get all the information they need via the iphone's internal speakers. So that means taking advantage of the high frequency instruments.

What if you added some high frequency percussion to give it some extra energy? Like a tambourine or a shaker? What if your low brass doublings weren't just solid bass hits but actually a counter-melody? What about the rest of the orchestra? Woodwinds? etc...

Something to think about.

I tested it in the iPhone speaker and it sounds surprisingly clear, but I see what you mean with taking a little off the brass. And for sure, I need to work the rest of the orchestra in there. Those flutes and oboes gotta have their love, too-- do you think a good time to introduce them would be after the big part with the brass sections, where the strings come in together? Thanks a lot for the suggestions!!!

I tested it in the iPhone speaker and it sounds surprisingly clear, but I see what you mean with taking a little off the brass. And for sure, I need to work the rest of the orchestra in there. Those flutes and oboes gotta have their love, too-- do you think a good time to introduce them would be after the big part with the brass sections, where the strings come in together? Thanks a lot for the suggestions!!!

Think about using the other instruments in the orchestra as they relate to the textures and sound they offer, moving a melodic line around the orchestra can be a very effective and often neglected technique for keeping things fresh and sophisticated.