OCR01258 - Chrono Trigger "When All Hope Has Faded"

djpretzel

Interesting ..yes. With so little of the original tune to go on , a very nice and eye-opening techno/trance remix has been made. We all needed something fresh and new for the ridiculously large bunch of CT remixes sofar. Good Work Zircon and unknown !!!

(this one together with Prophecy's Chekan Winter and DD's Triforce Majeure will have a top place on my trancey playlists 8) )

I heard this a while back and yes I still have it saved to my computer which for me is a rare thing to have a song so long, usually I delete songs quickly, even if they're good ones for some strange reason.

But this has got great areas of arrangement, two completely different genres that side for what most people listen to on OC so it's a no lose situation really.

I'm a sucker for orchestral (and piano for that matter) and the orchestral side is really well handled, superb.

I think the techno excelled the piece, but it wasn't really something that could stand on its own, which is why im glad this was a colab.

With the techno, for instance one of my favourite bits was at 1:51, that build up is just a classic build up and really pumps everything.

Oh well, this eally puts me into wanting to learn more technical sides of music now, cause I just cant stand using soundfonts all the time etc.

I just thought it was great from start to finish. The intro was long but really good so it wasn't hard to be patient.

At 2:10 you start to realize that you're going to get more than you bargained for. Around 3:33 you figure it won't get much better, then at about 4:20 it does.

This mix definitely runs with the best this site has to offer.

Great work, hope to hear more.

One of the absolutely best remixes I've heard in a long time. I LOVE the orchestral piece there are so many details and all the instruments cooperate perfect with each other. The ballance is extraordinary. I'm not sure wether it's a gd trance part or not since I don't think trance is really an interesting genre, but mixed with orchestral like this, I love it.

Excellent work!

As much as it's becoming increasingly redundant, I just have to add my name onto the list of people saying really awesome, best OCremix they've heard in a while, etc. One thing that really strikes me is that, despite the clear schism between orchestral and electronic, I can clearly imagine the entire thing being in a movie score (though probably not one by Danny Elfman, once the electronica comes in). I actually have enough classical/orchestra+electronica mixes to warrant creating a new id3 genre tag for them - and this is among the best of them. I could gripe about the bland ending, but that's about it.

The previous remixes of "The Day the World was Revived" have fallen short for me - they lacked the harmony and the desolate yet hopeful mood of the original. I greatly favor Unknown's part in this remix (no offense to Zircon naturally, for this particular song, I have longed to hear it arranged in an orchestral way).

I have sort of wished that Unknown would score one of my animations for me, and this mix (combined with his "Storm in the Desert" piece) keeps him at the top of my list once again. Thanks for the inspiration and the nostalgia - I hope you two plan on collaborating again.

I were sad if this was a trance VS orchestral. I wish to see orchestral in the background, and not the trance. Anyway, this is a collab, so the best of both worlds playing together is always tasty to be enjoyed.

Trance should be born early. The chimes break could last a little longer. Orchestral part had to be less superb. These resolve everything. :lol:

I greatly enjoyed this piece. As mentioned earlier, I cannot help but think of Edward Scissorhands while listening to this one. You definitely feel the sorrow from that movie when you listen to this remix. I wonder if you were influenced by that soundtrack. If so, great work here.

Uncanny. I heard a very strong resemblance ot Edward Scissorhands in this as well.

I don't have much to add myself. This mix is wonderful. Go get it if you like orchestral with some bite.

Hope to hear some more from both zircon & Unknown. Keep up the good work, both of you.

I've heard a ton of incredible music from this site during the last two years that I have been comming here, but this track required me to register so I could rant.

It's awesome. Yes it does sound somewhat Danny-Elfman-esque at the beginning but it's definitely welcome in my opinion. Around 2:00 the balance of techno to orchestral was incredible. Between 2:15 and 2:30 one steps back and the other takes the lead.

The first half is gorgeous and sort of apprehensive, the second half is very daring. The great transition from one to the other gives the listening group a rush.

Awesome peice.

I actually have enough classical/orchestra+electronica mixes to warrant creating a new id3 genre tag for them - and this is among the best of them.

Indeed, this is a great remix. I don't believe it can be reiterated anymore. It did remind me slightly of Danny Elfman, but not too much. The techno-main theme reminded me a lot of "Man With a Machine Gun" from Final Fantasy VIII, though. Awesome remix; keep up the good works. =)

-tk

P.S. Orchestral+Electronic=Orchestronic?

I was trying to find a piece for my orchestra to play, and I came across this. I though "WOW!" this is pretty good! I have to get the sheet music, or arrange this! Then came the techno section during 2:30 or so. I was like... ARGHH! It's a great remix. Though... Synthesisers wouldn't go well with an orchestra... and also, We don't have synthesisers. ^_^. I really enjoy this piece even though I don't like techno songs. Great JOB!!!

-Charles Yip

Typically, orchestrated pieces can sound all-encompassing/grand/etc but will often lack the 'oomph' offered by electronic manipulation, the converse being that electronica can sound too removed from reality/'normal' instruments to evoke the same sort of feeling. Common sense says "Fine, throw both together, and you'll get the best of both worlds." and for once, this held true.

The blending of two very different musical types, while sounding as though it were the most natural thing possible, makes this one remix I'll be listening to for a long time.

Also, while it sounds pretty kickarse throughout, 4:25-4:30 is where it really picks up, and sounds to my ear like the two styles merge into a single composite, rather than playing off the other.

I already posted once on this one but one good turn deserves another, especially since I still can't stop listening to this damn song. I can't explain why I like it so much. I love how the electronic and orchestral parts are so distinctly apart from each other...but so together. What's so messed up is now I can't possibly imagine hearing this song without both. Just orchestral or just electronica doesn't cut it anymore. If I were gay, I'd very much like to have sex with the remixers solely based on my opinion of this remix. However, I'm not, so you'll just have to settle for a friendly handshake. Actually, that's not really possible either. Oh well. A smiley face must do. :)

Wow. You seem to like the song VERY much. Personally, I do agree with you. The song can't go without both. I couldn't stop listening to it until about a month after it was released. Although, I have to say that the trasition between the techno part and the orchestral part was a bit shakey. I'd still give it a 9.5/10 rating!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!! I'm trying to get a remix created, but... I'm not one of those composer types. -__-;;

-Chrono721

Hm. This remix warrants me logging into my account for the first time in at least 4 months. I've been downloading obsessively from Overclocked lately (bear with me, I'm still on 56K), and I went song by song through Chrono Trigger. Coming across this piece, I must say, this is one of the most adeptly exectued remixes I have downloaded (out of 555, to be precise). Listening to this song, you can really see and appreciate all the orchestration (no pun intended) that went into this remix. I could rant all day about how zircon and Unknown have taken fairly limited source material and turned it into a Orchestral-Techno epic, but what I really love about this piece is the subtlety. There is so much nuance and so many careful adjustments scattered about this remix, and so it succeeds in keeping this piece from ever becoming repetitive. One instance that occurs to me is the development of a more atonal sound, just before the techno beat kicks in. The techno shatters through, and I'm thinking, okay, that's it for the orchestral, but no more than 10 seconds later, it comes powering back in a perfect fusion with the electronic elements. Beautiful, simply beautiful. The one suggestion that occurs to me is the piano at the beginning sounding a bit too electronic. Humanizing it a bit, or most preferably getting a recording of some real piano would be some very sweet icing on an already outstanding cake. But that may just be me, I've been listening to too much kLuTz and Dhsu recently. Overall, great, great work that merits recognition, and, with any luck, will stand as an example for what remixers can aspire to achieve in this largely undeveloped genre.

Umm... yeah. I downloaded this song to my computer about half a month or so ago, and never realized I hadn't left a post. So, here's my bit:

DAMN!

This is a wonderful mix of my two favorite genres of music, taking them both to greater heights than ever possibly imagined before. Excellent work guys!

Ah, just thought of it... I believe EXCELSIOR is the word for this: onward and upward!

P.S. Orchestral+Electronic=Orchestronic?

Actually, I prefer Orchestral+Electronic= Electrestral... sounds more divine? maybe? maybe not... oh well...

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01258 - Chrono Trigger "When All Hope Has Faded"