OCR01258 - Chrono Trigger "When All Hope Has Faded"

djpretzel

This is probably my favorite remix that I've downloaded off of OCR. However, after a few listens, I've become less intrested in it. Not, as you might currently be thinking, because I don't like it any more, but because the theme is too well orchestrated.

I'm more of a casual listener, so it's good to be able to follow the song while you're not really paying any attention. When listened to through a good pair of headphones with relatively few distractions, this mix is the best song I've come across, as far as creativity and listenability are concerned. On the offchance that I am trying to type an essay, as will be the case tomorrow, I would probably refrain from listening to this song. "Why?" you may ask. My response is simply, "This song just needs to be listened to."

Although this could be seen as a good thing, it's not that great to be completely distracted from what you're doing for a full six minutes. That's why I generally prefer to listen to orchestral/piano-y remixes while multitasking. They're both easy to listen to in the background, while also being intricate and well crafted for those times when you just want to listen to music.

Despite the rant-ish nature of my review thusfar, I will remind you that I beleive that this is probably one of the better songs on the site. Were you to pose another question to me, one such as "How good is this Remix?", my response would be clear.It's good. Great. God-like. Listen to it now, but not if you plan on doing anything important. It will take over your life entirely for the next six minutes. Probably more. You won't get the full impact until the second time through.

So, that's my opinion, and you can take it or leave it. It's a free country.

96/100

• 1 month later...

For me, this song brings back days from the N64 era. I was playing Donkey Kong 64 and heard the sad but melodious tunes of the levels. This song seems sad, melodious and deserving of a cavern level, but halfway through it takes you through a experience that makes you think "Wow. It was wrong of me to underestimate the song". This song may be the best I've heard. But not the best on OC. I'm not going to name names.

9.5/10 fireballs.

• 2 weeks later...

The first part of this piece is sheer brilliance. Haunting, and yes, I defenitely agree about the Edward Scissorhands. Never imagined the song being taken in this direction and am glad it did. That said, I wish you'd stuck with this theme for a bit longer than you do. While the addition of a beat is carried out flawlessly, and the transition is nice, I think the listener is set up for something else that never comes again. To be honest, I would've prefered that something else.

Again, this in no way says the second piece isn't well done, it is, but as far as composition goes, I really miss the melodious haunts of the first half of the song. Otherwise, this is an innovative look at a fairly short riff in the Chrono Trigger series (originally from Secret of Mana).

4 out of 5 stars

Zipp

• 3 weeks later...

This is wonderful. :)

It feels like a very natural fusion. It feels one type of music, not two... it's... "turbo-orchestra."

I'd even call this groundbreaking. It's definitely pro quality... if these two collaborators made a CD, I would most definitely buy it. Eagerly :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Very few songs really blow me away when I first listen to them. Since I'm writing this review, obviously this song is one of them. This song is excellent. It maintains a feeling of emotional drive throughout the song, while not departing wildly from good structure or the basic spirit of the original piece.

Most excellent.

• 1 month later...

Words fail me as I am left awed by this piece. I wouldn't really know how to compliment these two brilliant composers had they done this anymore perfect...

Ever since the first time I listened to a zircon mix, I was thoroughly impressed with the ability that they demonstrated (The remix was the Chrono Trigger - Calamitous Judgement). I must admit, that when it comes down to it, I would rather have nobody do a Chrono Trigger remix for me, other than zircon. Keep up the excellent work! You're incredible and you do the game the justice that it deserves.

And now... for Unknown... I love Unknown's arrangements. The first mix/arrangement that I heard by this composer was Zelda: The Windwaker - Pirates of Dragon Roost Isle. The smooth, hypnotic melody was just so relaxing and easy to get along with. I must admit however, I hadn't really listened to any of their other mixes/arrangements and thus, I was a bit skeptical about seeing Unknown do a CT mix. However, my skepticism was justly proven wrong as this song flows magnificently like all of the others I've heard now...

Then, I saw both of the names coming together under the Chrono Trigger section and I couldn't resist myself... As soon as I saw it all I could say was "This is going to be wicked..." I clicked the links and was already overtaken by the smooth arrngement of Unknown... then, zircon kicked in with the bass and synths and I couldn't resist closing my eyes, nodding my head and laughing out the words, "HELL YEAH!"

This has got to be one of, if not my favorite of all the other remixes that I've heard on this site. Give it up to Unknown and zircon for bringing their talents together and forming a masterpiece!

I am in agreement. This mix is incredibly well done. So good, in fact, it makes me want to go replay Chrono Trigger. :-D

I really like the blending of the two styles, the orchestral section is well done, and flows into the second half very well. Despite the difference between the two styles, they flow really well, and manage to maintain the feeling of being a single song really well. I really can't say enough about this mix-- amazing job.

• 5 months later...

For the first two minutes, I was enjoying the beauty and tranquility while doing work, and then it just picks up and I had a blast! I love these kinds of mixes for they allow you the oppurtunity to enjoy the music in different ways in just one track i.e. you're hearing the soft soothing sounds at the beginning and then all of a sudden you are grooving uncontrollably in your seat (or wherever you are while listening). Basically, the variety makes it a classic. Now that's what I call an audio adventure, haha.

• 4 months later...

I remembered this remix from a while back, whenever I first started remixing tunes (although it was 2003/2004 so it wasn't that far back obviously) and I remember this remix just being posted on VGMix, just recently I tried finding it again because I remembered how much I liked it but I had forgotten the name and VGMix was down so I wouldn't be able to find it on there again. Whenever I was listening to the 1001-1500 torrent though, I finally found this piece again, and I must say it sounds almost as good as I remember it. Unknown's part is fantastic, beautifully orchestrated, unfortunately I just feel that zircon's part falls a bit short. All of the synths, while nice, just seem a bit too cheesey for this style.

• 2 months later...

Awesome fusion and cheesy synths aside, I think the end just gets too cluttered. Other than that, yum. Maybe I won't notice when not thinking too much! Though, the fact that I was thinking a lot this time through (about how it's not going to be as good as I remember and about how this type of fusion has high potential to flop) yet still enjoying it, says something.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A great song! One of my most listened to out of all the CT Mixes.

The only thing i have against it is from about 3:37 - 4:04 has way too much bass, When I tried these with my Skull Crushers I almost thought they were broken, just a wall of bass that made me turn down the volume.

Other then that i love it!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01258 - Chrono Trigger "When All Hope Has Faded"