OCR01259 - Castlevania III "Pools of Rust"

djpretzel

Another amazing mix from Goat. If you think you could ever get sick of Goat's guitar-thrashed-tracks, (not to mention castlevania), think again.

The OST definately has a happier overtone than other tracks from the game, and makes for a great adaptation into this rockin' remix.

The piano was a nice touch, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The water type effect made sense with the 'Pools of Rust' title, but it honestly didn't grab me. After a couple more listens, I got used to it, and it's use as a climax around the 2:00 (like DJp said) doesn't sound half bad anymore.. but overall, me-no-likie.

Awesome piece of work. Never stop mixing goat. I suggest everyone to get this, along with all of Goat's other songs.

Very good. I like the drumkit used. Very garagy. MMM MMMMMMM! The harmonics and guitar screeching is also excellent. The bit at 1:57 just blew me away. I'm usually not used to sound effects erupting in like that, but this is a gem. goat roars again with Castlevania madness. Congrats on your recent promotion as VGMix admin. It'll be a pleasure watching you run the site logged out.

Now about that piano. It's got an attack to it that needs improvement and overall compression is needed. I could hear it barely and unfortunately it tends to blend in with the nice-chugging guitars. If the compression is there, I'd be very happy. I love how it's played on a positive note. It gives me that Simon Belmont stuck in a salon cameo. It's a great song but honestly, Stained Glass Filth owns.

Peace out and finish the Unchoosen Paths album! I'm downloading every one of your future tracks, dude!

Peace

Double A

• 3 weeks later...

goat kicks ass!

goat is definatly one of my favorite artists on OC! Maybe because I'm a big fan of rock/metal remixes. My only quam with this mix is the snare sample, I think it sounds to loose or sloppy, but thats just me. Maybe he did this purposly because of the water at the begining and end? Who cares! This is an awsome mix!

I wonder of he takes requests... cause I know a few songs that could use his touch...

- Jubei

• 3 months later...

I want to say it is songs like this one that makes me visit this site on a daily basis. I love this song, it takes the original music and creates a fantastic rock tune to it and stays in your mind well after a listen.

If you are into any rock or even just some good electric guitar, you must download this!

• 1 year later...

I think what strikes me most about this piece is just the pure solidity of the execution. It's just so perfectly performed and produced for the style, you can't help but be satisfied with this highly entertaining and addictive track as it chugs its way out. Great jumpy, lively guitar playing on this track.

The only thing I would have liked changed are the sound effects at the beginning and the end. They sound really weak. A great rushing stream sound would have done wonders to equal the high-energy approach of the rest of the track (especially at the end), as the sound effects used sound like water swirling around in a bathtub.

However, the use of the splash effect around 1:58 really does work nicely!

Great stuff, and I love anything based on CV3 source material, one of my favourite video game soundtracks ever. Keep it up.

• 1 year later...

Pretty decent mix from La Cavra, taking his usual rocking style and adding a few accoutrements to stand out a bit.

The mix itself is pretty good, the piano breakdown is especially nice, despite the overly quantized feel, and the sound effects give it a slightly different flavor from his other straight up rock mixes. I thought the solo was a bit boring and played it a little safe. It seemed almost mechanical compared to the great flow the rest of his playing had. Also, a few sections had a different guitar tone for the lead which seemed really thin. Can;t say I was totally feeling that.

Not his best mix, but still pretty good.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some of the main guitar parts feel strangely like they were from the Sonic Adventure 2 soundtrack, which lends this piece an odd sense of familiarity to me. o_O

Anyway I do appreciate the stream sound effect samples to lend a bit of atmosphere and setting even though they sound a bit off.

Still, while not the most varied track out there, this mix is still a fun listen. Plain and simply though, this is an rocking and amazing track.

• 1 month later...

There's nothing quite like rock guitar married with Castlevania; a strong pairing goat clearly seems to understand. The complex melodic structures and the dark gothic tones are a perfect match for guitar solos and chugging, however I detect a much lighter approach to this that doesn't exactly destroy the compatibility of the piece, but it defers quite a bit from what made goat's similar efforts really shine.

Technically, I think things are as high-quality as you'd expect, but the unusual blend of the dark vibes of metal and Castelvania with the almost danceable treatment it's been given here is a strange flavour. Not a bad one, and not one that would make me dislike it, but it got an against-the-grain feel to it, like it isn't in its element at any one time. I guess it could also be in part due to the sound effects of the water, which I don't welcome or wish to be removed. They're integrated well, but don't prove their worth enough for me.

This is a mix I have a hard time coming to a set opinion of. It may just be a case of me enjoying what's here a lot but being disappointed by it at the same time. It definitely does what it does as well as any other metal mix (better in some cases), but hits too far from my own personal mark for me to give the standing ovation. This isn't badass, it's merely a fun romp with guitars.

• 7 months later...

Interesting intro with the SFX. It definitely felt out of place for me in comparison to the rock goodness that comes in after it, but again, that's personal preference. Awesome rockin' lead guitar here. The performance is good but not as solid as some of Chris' previous work. However, when the guitar solo comes in, all is forgiven :). I love the A section of this song. The drums, bass and guitars find a pocket and groove really nicely. The piano interlude was a little thin and it sounded really mechanical. I enjoyed the power chord ending, but damnit, stop fading out :)!!! Still not a fan of the sound effect as it feels likes it's been pasted in there. Those "gripes" aside, this is still a really kick-ass rock track!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01259 - Castlevania III "Pools of Rust"