The Shadow Queen's Onslaught [ Paper Mario & TTYD ]

FaytxStay

Well as You said.. "CRITIQUE AWAY!!!" This mix great. And if you want to make it greater, maybe You should try play guitar solo to replace synth solo(just an offer) or make Your synth little "closer". Same to the drums. Try and maybe you like it. Also I like that laugh. It sounds in needed place to me, well maybe stronger fade out in the end. I can't say anything about orchestra. I just like it. And I don't know the source too.

P.S. Still I have to say.. Kick to overload..

Well now that you added the source, I can tell it's not from Final Fantasy or some other freakish medieval rpg, it's from my favorite mario game, PAPER MARIO 2! Yay.

Just for the record, I might be a little bit biased. :mrgreen:

I had already listened to this before you added the source, to see if it really was the PM2 Shadow Queen. And, umm, I...couldn't recognize it. Hehe, awkward...

But by musical terms, this is an amazing remix. The synths are good, maybe a bit repetitive, but good, and so is that guitar. I do think though that the synth could be swapped out more, but I honestly don't care that much if you don't.

Great mix. Update us with changes, I'm gonna follow this one!

EDIT: PS. Is the ending supposed to be so abrupt? It's a little weird.

everyone on OcReMix should know my rating scale by now which is 1-10, but nobody knows my best rating which happens to be invisible in my scale due to lower then occasional use , But you sir are one of first 3 people to receive this honor of a rating.

i give this mix a

DAMN out of 10

p.s the master track is loud but i can simply reduce the vol in windows media player.

Thanks, you guys. :]

I've had a flu/fever, so I haven't made anymore progress, but here's the deal:

I am NO GOOD WITH:

~guitar Leads~

~EQ'ing~

~Drums~I cannot stress this ENOUGH!!! I dunno how SLIM of a chance that this work will be accepted, but believe me, I'm trying my best...

But hell, if anyone wants a solo-less version of the song and wants to shred on guitar, we can colab! I don't mind sharing the small fame. :P

P.S. The master track is loud, but i can simply reduce the volume in windows media player.
That's funny, because in my first version, everything was too soft. I'll tone it down a little!

So yeah, more and more advice, or a percentage of how close I am to done would be GREAT!!!

~Fayt~

Wow, this is the second time I've been summoned by you. I'm flattered :razz:.

Those first few seconds really drew me in - very sweet vocal clips, there. That cello in the middle is also pretty damn sweet, along with that laugh (but I'm a sucker for sound clips, so don't take that to heart, lol).

The rest of it, though... Well, turning it down via my speakers isn't going to do the trick, because the volume level is causing all sorts of clipping throughout the track (especially with the bass drum - that could even be heavily sidechained, in which case I'd suggest toning that down quite a bit, since this isn't really the proper genre for that sort of sidechaining).

It just seems to me that there is too much going on at any one time - that crazy synth, orchestra, guitar, drums - so there just isn't any room for anything else to fit (especially in the mid-range of the EQ). This song would benefit greatly from the 'scissors' treatment; you really need to cut textures out of the song and place them strategically. I can't help you with the specifics, but when cutting keep this in mind - changes in textures means changes in the feel of the section. Take advantage of this and use the changing textures to change up the music when it feels like it's droning through (which it sometimes sounds like it does, as it is now). This will take some experimenting, though, so don't be afraid to save what you have on a separate file.

Good ideas, but too much for me to take in, right now. Clean it up both using the volumes and cutting tracks out. Best of luck with it.

Main issues are noticeable compression and a really cluttered sound. To deal with the first, turn down the volume. :P You should also compare its frequency balance to that of well mixed tracks to see if you're giving it too much bass (kick, bass, cello, and pads tend to get more than they actually need). To deal with the second, compare frequency balance, but also decide which instruments are important to punch through, which ones are just supportive, and which ones are pretty much superfluous.

I'll elaborate. Foreground, middle, and background, decide what's what. Check the frequency spectrum of whatever you decide is foreground in a part. Then carve those frequencies out of the middle and background tracks. Doesn't have to be much, a 2dB cut can do wonders for clarity. Let's then deal with volume. Mute the ones that are far background and pull down the volume on the foreground ones. you should now only have the middle ones there. Raise the volume of the foreground ones until they punch through. EQ if necessary. Then bring back the background stuff, and lower their volume if necessary. You should the have a more balanced sound.

I hate these complicated sources that I'm not at all familiar with. Sounded like the source, but I'm gonna leave source/arrangement comments to ppl who know the source better. Hope this helps. :D

I LOVE this mix. I have very minor criticism, things that could probably fixed pretty easily. Firstly, I think there's a bit too much going on at one time at the moment. I think a little level reworking is needed. Specifically, bring that guitar down for starters. I think the orchestra needs to be strings need a minor adjustment too, but fixing the guitar might fix those issues.

It is fantastic mix though, and is definitely OCReMix quality.

Edit: Rozovian's post didn't show up when I posted this. Go with what he said. After those adjustments, let us listen one more time, and it will hopefully be ready for submitting to the judges!

• 3 weeks later...

I love rock remixes of favorite tunes, and this is one of the songs from one of my favorite game series that I just love!

I'm not savvy in remix terminology, so I can't offer much advice there, but I can say this:

- Everything pretty much sounded awesome except for the guitars at the end. I love screaming guitars, but not when they're choppy like that.

- Said guitars were a little too loud compared to the backing music.

I'm honestly anxious for this to be made into a polished piece of awesome, because I want more PM remixes in my player ;A;.

I should have a new remix withing a couple of hours. Trying to work on EQ, but it's not going so well. D:

Also, when I started solo-pairing instruments by EQ/Sound/Volume/Panning, I noticed that the song didn't sound cluttered at all!

So, I can see that there is too much going on....

So I'm gonna try to even it all out...

While attempting to stay under 4 minutes.

.__.

• 4 weeks later...
Check my new progress!

I'll be cutting out the beginning lead guitar for something better before I submit, and I've added a 'familiar' rhythm guitar...

Can you find it?

stats.png

second demo you posted only need vol adjustment you :P,but this is as great as well,i like how you gave the song a battle theme progression structure thats nice and ready to loop at a point!

But add some slides to your beginning solo and EQ the lows of your solo the tone sound kinda weak, and add a tiny bit (tinybit) of reverb and some vibrato on some of those sustained notes.

AND the lead vol in the begnning sounds a bit off beat, and too loud over the other tracks.

On the keyboard solos or the guitar lead solos?

I'm a bit confused with EQ.

Do you have a _:__ where you hear problems?

That would help loads. XD

second demo you posted only need vol adjustment you :P,but this is as great as well,i like how you gave the song a battle theme progression structure that's nice and ready to loop at a point!

But add some slides to your beginning solo and EQ the lows of your solo the tone sound kinda weak, and add a tiny bit (tinybit) of reverb and some vibrato on some of those sustained notes.

AND the lead vol in the begnning sounds a bit off beat, and too loud over the other tracks.

On the keyboard solos or the guitar lead solos?

I'm a bit confused with EQ.

Do you have a _:__ where you hear problems?

That would help loads. XD

your guitar lead and i ment lower the mids on your guitar lead not increase the lows my bad :)

well the lead started a bit late around 48

EQing is basicly messing with the volume of a sound or track in its ranges

LOW MID HIGH

Equalizers are usually measured in Hz (Hurtz)

more alot of Equalizers(EQ) contain mutiple bands for each range.

some with 2 lows bands 4 mid bands and 2 high bands for more accurate sounds

heck some EQ's have 3 bands, some have 30 bands (usually rack EQs) but really most people only need 3 or 7 band EQ's.

So in to you DAW(which is fl studio) and make a simple saw wave (looks like a zig zag) on a synth like the 3xosc(turn down vol on ocs 2 and 3 for a single saw) then play it in any key at any octave. mess with the(a) EQ like Fruity Parametric; see how it effects the sound from its Bass(Low range(s)) its mid Treble(Mid range(s)) and to its high treble(High range(s)). you can use EQind to modulate synth sounds too ;)

But add some slides to your beginning solo and EQ the lows of your solo the tone sound kinda weak, and add a tiny bit (tiny bit) of re-verb and some vibrato on some of those sustained notes.

BEST advice I've gotten all day.

I've been trying for months on how to get Vibrato on my notes and since you brought that up, I tried the modulation wheel with keyswitch. Works like a charm!

I've already started uploading my second to final piece, and with this new information, I shall blow everyone's minds on the epic that is Paper Mario!

BEST advice I've gotten all day.

I've been trying for months on how to get Vibrato on my notes and since you brought that up, I tried the modulation wheel with keyswitch. Works like a charm!

I've already started uploading my second to final piece, and with this new information, I shall blow everyone's minds on the epic that is Paper Mario!

:D remeber to adjust your mids when you mess with you lows.

opening solo sounds better, but reduce the vol on i a bit more and I notice your hammering on notes i think? try picking them, sounds more bold.

So, your only complaint is the lead guitar? That's actually surprising! o.o

So, less hammering, more pick?

Can do.

And reduce the volume of the lead. Gotcha!

So how complete do you think the track sounds?

Hmm, latest doesn't sound as fast and furious, just more structured and technical. I think I liked the version before more because of what it was but that's just me. :smile:

They are both good in their own respects.

You are speaking the truth.

This is beyond way more structured. XD

It's not as wild with sounds flying everywhere.

Tell you what.

I have the original file for that old version. Maybe I can apply a bit of wildness and all after I submit this.

I secretly think it's more leveled down because I changed the sounding tone to the original instead of that gloomy one I liked. XD