The Shadow Queen's Onslaught [ Paper Mario & TTYD ]

FaytxStay

Sounds good, would love to see what you could do on the more progressive side of things. I've been following this mix, I think it's one of the best on here for awhile so far. Best of luck to you and your final copy :)

Progressive?

I'm not very musically inclined.

Think you could tell me what that is or give an example?

• 3 weeks later...
Progressive?

I'm not very musically inclined.

Think you could tell me what that is or give an example?

Meant to say not as structured, it seemed more unexpected last time as this sounds more like riff/chorus/solo/riff/chorus/riff style (structured). To say you're not musically inclined is like saying a cow is a zebra O.o This track is genius. You're talented man :)!!

• 4 weeks later...
I got my computer fixed, but I decided to take a step back and do what I did best to keep this free flowing... Make a remix that travels in no pure direction!

It's time you see the style I've returned with!

stats.png

SICK make the rythems a bit more beefyer, compress them it a bit, other then that, of o was a judge i would say YES

Sweeeet. Nothing else out of place? Just some kompression?

yes make the rythem louder, you picked half your solos and they sound less robotic, this is sweet.

*Optional*

experiment with a brick wall compression on the master track.

btw, what violins are you using? and what your guitar/set up, your lead tone sounds super odd.

yes make the rhythm louder, you picked half your solos and they sound less robotic, this is sweet.

Okay, okay, but I have 2 sets of rhythms. One that sounds more like bass, and the other that you hear kind of loud. Steinberg Virtual Guitarist I. And yes, picking DOES sound way less robotic.

*Optional*

experiment with a brick wall compression on the master track.

Brick wall? Is there a preset? How do you explain this?

By the way, what violins are you using? And what is your guitar/set up, your lead tone sounds super odd.

I'm using a random soundfont for the violin with reverb and. My lead tone sounds odd? I'm using Guitar Rig 4 for the lead. [ Echolead ]

I'm also using Guitar Rig 4 and TH-1 Overloud for the rhythm guitars.

that sounds more like bass, and the other that you hear kind of loud. Steinberg Virtual Guitarist I. And yes, picking DOES sound way less robotic.

------------------------------

Ahh i see, like in your second demo, boost that bassliney rhythm, reduce the lead guitar a bit.

Brick wall? Is there a preset? How do you explain this?

-------------------

brick wall is a type of limiting for tracks with fast attacks like this, there should be a preset for this in almost any digital compressor, which also can let you boost the track a BIT with out clipping the track

I'm using a random soundfont for the violin with reverb and. My lead tone sounds odd? I'm using Guitar Rig 4 for the lead. [ Echolead ]

I'm also using Guitar Rig 4 and TH-1 Overloud for the rhythm guitars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, Black Mage Revolution. I just heard the first version of this song and this most recent version. This is amazing!

- When I typed in the words 'paper mario shadow' into the forum search, there were four threads all by you and none by anyone else. Are all these threads for the same song?

- The guitar work is amazing! I don't know if it was intentional, but the start of one of the solos sounds like the 'Song of Storms' from The Legend of Zelda. I like. :-D

- About 3 minutes into the song, the guitar solo fades, then gets loud again for half a second. You may need to adjust the volume parameters there.

- The first thing that came into my mind when I heard the shadow queen laugh was the face of the 'curse chests'. Awesome and haunting at the same time.

- I'm a little annoyed by the fade out at the end. It felt like it could have built up into a big finish.

When are you going to send this in?

Ah, always did like this song from the "Paper Mario" series...

This is no exception. I do enjoy your remix. I don't know why it breaks into "Bloody Tears" at points, but that's nothing I would care about. Later on though... Damn, the song really does stray from the source though, which I'm not fan of. The original arrangement is good though, so that's not a credible complaint.

Quality appears to be there. Allow everyone here to nitpick your remix until it's perfect. It's already far better than most "Shadow Queen Theme" remixes I've found online, so with that having been accomplished, in my mind, you have little left to do but polish to everyone's points, if you really want to take the care in that.

Simply put: Well done. Downloading this now.

• 4 weeks later...

Heh, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but most of the remixes in this style seem to suffer from the same issues - not enough bass (is there even a bassline here?) and the guitars are a little hot on the mids/highs. Some simple EQ work could fix the latter. I can't hear the vocals at all, and I can't tell if that's meant to be a stylistic choice or if they're supposed to be audible lyrics.

Gotta say though, there's a lot going for this. Awesome synths, the use of ambiance/pads is also fantastic... Great take on the source, I'm not intimately familiar with the original but I've definitely played more than my fair share of Paper Mario so I'll have to do a source check before you send this one off. This is definitely submission worthy but I'd check on the bass/vocals, and also see about toning down the rhythm/lead guitars so they're a little easier on the ears.

Was very pleasantly surprised here though! :-D This is close!

EDIT: On repeat listens, I'm hearing a lot of chord usage but I'd like to hear it from you where you've used the source throughout the remix, if you're willing to oblige.