The Shadow Queen's Onslaught [ Paper Mario & TTYD ]

FaytxStay

Heh, I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but most of the remixes in this style seem to suffer from the same issues - not enough bass (is there even a bassline here?) and the guitars are a little hot on the mids/highs. Some simple EQ work could fix the latter. I can't hear the vocals at all, and I can't tell if that's meant to be a stylistic choice or if they're supposed to be audible lyrics.

"Funny, I actually turned the bass down since it was almost eating up the mix. Also, the vocals weren't meant to be clear, but I'll be removing them, anyways."

Gotta say though, there's a lot going for this. Awesome synths, the use of ambiance/pads is also fantastic... Great take on the source, I'm not intimately familiar with the original but I've definitely played more than my fair share of Paper Mario so I'll have to do a source check before you send this one off. This is definitely submission worthy but I'd check on the bass/vocals, and also see about toning down the rhythm/lead guitars so they're a little easier on the ears.

Was very pleasantly surprised here though! :-D This is close!

"I'm very pleased to hear!" :D

EDIT: On repeat listens, I'm hearing a lot of chord usage but I'd like to hear it from you where you've used the source throughout the remix, if you're willing to oblige.

0:04 The violins play this.

0:10 The rhythm guitars/synths play this.

0:31 The lead plays this.

0:46 The rhythm guitars/bass plays this.

0:58 The synth plays late in my song, but does this, but not only this, the chord of the rhythm guitars during the chorus re derived from this.

"I guess you can say a lot of the chords were made up since the original bassline in the song seemed kinda boring. o.o

So, while it's it's far from conservative, I don't feel as if it's not off topic enough.

I could be wrong, though."

Gunna Go with Emunator, this is Sick but the mix is feels a tad hot, wana post screens of your mixer and see if anyone can help out, thats what i used to to on dubstep forums till i got this stuff down.

Mixer.png

"Funny, I actually turned the bass down since it was almost eating up the mix. Also, the vocals weren't meant to be clear, but I'll be removing them, anyways."

"I'm very pleased to hear!" :D

0:04 The violins play this.

0:10 The rhythm guitars/synths play this.

0:31 The lead plays this.

0:46 The rhythm guitars/bass plays this.

0:58 The synth plays late in my song, but does this, but not only this, the chord of the rhythm guitars during the chorus re derived from this.

"I guess you can say a lot of the chords were made up since the original bassline in the song seemed kinda boring. o.o

So, while it's it's far from conservative, I don't feel as if it's not off topic enough.

I could be wrong, though."

Mixer.png

uehhhhh, play the tracks and do a screen shot again, we would not be able to tell the levels of the track

Btw the synths and drums sound Amazing and guitar composition is excellent, the kinda FF7 harmonic minor riff in the beginning always sounds amazing xD. post tab or a video some day or i will be Mad >:D

Some some would say let the guitar lead be center with no stereo imaging but hay it works here, and the rhythem guitar seems like its not loud enough and bass seems like it needs to be a bit more apperent.

but def play the song and take a screen shot so we can see whats hot.

you made the song sound more like your Second demo which i liked really much more then your other later demos, this is the best render yet and dont change a thing.

if you have to take out the vocals make a non ocr sub version XD

uehhhhh, play the tracks and do a screen shot again, we would not be able to tell the levels of the track.

"So, I actually play the song and screen shot, so you'll be able to see where things are hot? So, does this mean putting an equalizer on the master track?

Not to mention, I'm using a brickwall compression like you said.

At what time should I screen shot?"

Btw the synths and drums sound amazing and guitar composition is excellent; the kinda FF7 harmonic minor riff in the beginning always sounds amazing xD. post tab or a video some day or i will be Mad >:D

"It took SOOOOOO long to get even moderately decent at drums! If you mean the Jenova Synthesis, [ Get it? ] that actually came up by accident. I wanted a nice intro. Sounds more Magus-like, now that I think of it. I'd post a vidya tab, but I'd need a better sound card for my computer. It can almost kinda handle 6 instances of Guitar Rig 4 at once. As for tabs, you'd actually wanna learn that?" XD

Some some would say let the guitar lead be center with no stereo imaging but hay it works here, and the rhythm guitar seems like its not loud enough and bass seems like it needs to be a bit more apparent.

"No center imaging, huh? Well, the left-panned guitar is a fifth harmonic. I don't play it loud, but its rather nice with pitch bend. And the rhythm guitars are kinda loud to me, but hey~ I did the whole song with iPod Touch earphones.

Also...

Would you believe me if I said that the bass is louder than the rhythm guitars you hear?

The notes are turned up to the max, but the levels are lowered due to the phaser bass kinda taking over.

What I can do, is run it through audacity, remove vocal center and see what's wrong."

But def play the song and take a screen shot so we can see whats hot.

you made the song sound more like your Second demo which i liked really much more then your other later demos, this is the best render yet and don't change a thing.

if you have to take out the vocals make a non ocr sub version. XD

"What does it mean to be "hot"? I normally get the over-compression/muddy complaints. And I'm glad you noticed that. I wondered why I liked my old demo more than the new one. I won't change anything, other than making an OCR-safe and Youtube version. I'm itching to get this over with!" :D

Your sliders will not show me enough of whats going on, we the actual audio signal bar so we can see what DB your tracks are on.

So when I say hot, I mean your over all levels on the mixer are loud to the point that no instument sticks out, its like your in a loud audience at a show,and you want to talk to your buddy but your voice is not loud enought to stick out from the audience.

and your probably wondering why I said do a brickwall on the master, well i said that so it helps you limit your track.

Sounds good to me. Might be lacking in the bass department compared to some other mixes. If you need to, sacrifice a little volume for some bass - the kick could use a bit of a boost, either its lows or volume. Hihats on the other hand are too loud imo. You could do some more eq separation to clear up some of the messier parts and bring out the acoustic instruments some more, but I'd be ok with this even without that.

You could boost the low mids of whatever instruments you feel could stand to be a little louder; lead guitars, some of your acoustic elements, whatever. Just don't boost by much, I'd be careful to go over 2dB with it.

Subtle fixes would improve it, but you've got a pretty good track here. Nice work. :D

Sounds good to me. Might be lacking in the bass department compared to some other mixes. If you need to, sacrifice a little volume for some bass - the kick could use a bit of a boost, either its lows or volume. Hihats on the other hand are too loud imo. You could do some more eq separation to clear up some of the messier parts and bring out the acoustic instruments some more, but I'd be ok with this even without that.

You could boost the low mids of whatever instruments you feel could stand to be a little louder; lead guitars, some of your acoustic elements, whatever. Just don't boost by much, I'd be careful to go over 2dB with it.

Subtle fixes would improve it, but you've got a pretty good track here. Nice work. :D

That's the first time you've ever said anything nice to me over the years. I'm touched, really, and since my birthday is today...

I'm done.

I tried altering the levels, and even cleaning up EQ, but I've cluttered up the mix so much, it's nearly impossible to sort things out.

I'm pleased with what I've got and I'm ready to work on another song.

Perhaps as I get better, I'll learn the whole Hertz and Db things, but for now...

I'm gonna submit this and let OCR judge me.

Thanks for 5 pages of help and junk. :3

Sorry, only got to this during the rapture.

Yeah, even if I'm a bit late to the party I've got to say there's not much that I can say about this one. It's very pristine and awesome. I agree with Rozo in the bass department, but I could easily see this being a pass even without any tweaks. But yeah, giving the mix a little more bass with EQ would make this track even better.

In all honesty, while all the sound is incredibly clean, sometimes I feel that the melody doesn't quite stick out enough past the middleground. It's not what SonicThHedgog says, though - nothing is 'hot' in this mix. There is no clipping, and I've got to say the production is quite clean. The issue is more that the melody isn't poignant enough, at certain points, which can be solved by other means than volume (timbre, octave, and... well yes, volume). I'll emphasize it again - it's not a production flaw, it's simply a salience issue. If at all possible, it'd be ideal if you could get that working right.

As you said though, you're done, and I think you have a great shot at a post with this. Whether you submit it as is or make the changes, I wish you the best of luck with it. Good lu-

*whisked away in the rapture*

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Gario isn't dead, right? XD

Besides, I'm starting on a new project...

I didn't realize there was a FFX album named "Hurry!",

but now I'm curious, because a certain song hasn't been remixed...

And I'm ALL about taking on songs no one else has, yet.

I'll make a new topic soon!

Thanks for everything, you guys!

[ PS: How will you know if you were rejected or accepted? ]

So, I like the track. Very epic, very climatic. The one thing that always throws me off is the intro, it tricks me into thinking that I downloaded a slightly-off version of "Otherworld".

Other than that, a solid track, but, even though I liked it and downloaded it, it just doesn't... "hook" me. I like listening to it, but it doesn't get stuck in my head. Oh well. Just thought that I'd throw in my two cents. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
So, I like the track. Very epic, very climatic. The one thing that always throws me off is the intro, it tricks me into thinking that I downloaded a slightly-off version of "Otherworld".

Other than that, a solid track, but, even though I liked it and downloaded it, it just doesn't... "hook" me. I like listening to it, but it doesn't get stuck in my head. Oh well. Just thought that I'd throw in my two cents. Best of luck!

I'm pretty sure the otherworld reference is intentional.