The Extreme

Mesden

I like how it sounds from the start. Clean and melodic. It was interesting what goes next. But next came boring. Nothing wrong with sound or arrangement. All is good. But boring. And I don't like snare sound, same as bass(too "midi"). Well after all I think you can try to submit it. I don't know the source, but I think ppl'll like your mix) And btw!! I really like piano and cello sounds! Submit it.

Intro sounds too sequenced for the guitar, sustained strings should have more dynamics to them (cc11 - expression), especially as it goes on for a while before the drums and bass come in. Phaser on the lead synth doesn't really sound that good, just sounds like a weird panning/phasing effect there to mask an otherwise too simple synth patch. Drums aren't sequenced very interesting, and their sound is way too simple to hold up when exposed in the simple writing.

2:40 sounds a lot better. Way too much reverb, but it's still a step above the rest of the track. Strings around 3:25 sound pretty good. And then along comes that same synth lead, now hurting my ears with some resonances. And then we just have a repeat of previous parts.

I was hoping for something that'd kick my ass. It didn't. Not an easy track to remix, but you're off to a decent start. Work on getting a more human sound, practice your ears (this board is a great place for that), grow. Next time you try your hand at The Extreme you might kick some ass with the track. Good luck. :)

I think the high-end or volume in general could be brought down a bit on the intro acoustic guitar, but I like the effects on it.

The brass at 1:40 sounds very, very mechanical. The section that begins at 1:40 has, in my opinion, all the melodic and harmonic components it needs, and the lead synth sounds pretty sweet. It's lacking seriously in percussion, though. Add a more complex "metal" or just general fast-rock type rhythm line that really drives this part along. The downbeat kicks aren't doing it for me.

The transition at 2:38 is too harsh, and I suppose the one at 1:40 is, too, but to a much lesser degree. Again, percussion might be the answer here. A tom or crash fill or maybe a brief, measure-long drum solo transition would bring these two parts together.

The percussion is also lacking at 3:52. It almost sounds like a polka here. Again, just make a more sweeping, more driving rhythm line here, and it'll sound fantastic.

The driving bassline works well with the downbeat kicks well, but only for a phrase or two. Aaaand, once more: add more complex rhythms and some more percussion instruments.

All in all, I like it. I'd let it sneak onto my playlist if it had a more complete and fitting drum track. I'd really like to hear it if you add one.