What Computer Hardware Do I Need for Remixing?

Capt. Stupidity

Well, the hardware needed really depends on the complexity of your music (more generators & effects = more RAM and CPU utilization). You didn't post your CPU & OS, but based on RAM & HD space, you should have no problem getting started.

EDIT: Be sure you're familiar with how to tweak FL out of the box to get it running as smooth as possible. Feel free to post in the FL forum if you need help on that when the time comes.

I am running Win7 and my CPU is 2.40GHz. As for complexity, I probably won't get any more complex than some of the demos that come with FL. I just want to make sure I'm not going to need a quad-core processor with 8gb RAM :)

What kind of CPU is that? Makes a big difference, and also sometimes your computer can run the demos, but can't run LESS complex stuff. This is because if you use stuff like Sytrus or Zebra, the CPU usage can really be taxed up even if you only have one or two instances. I can run zircon's "Just Hold On" with like 30 synths but I can't run my FFVI mix with like 5 without crashing. That's because the synth sounds I used were really thick and complex in terms of how much the PC is doing to generate the sound, while the ones in zircon's demo are a little more simple for the computer to do. (that's how pretty much every computer made within last 3 years can run it)

I used to make music with Fruity Loops with a 500mhz Celeron with 64mb of ram and a 9.25G hard drive.. if that can give you an idea...

That alone is not even powerful enough to run FL Studio without any VST's.

FL Studio is a real power hog application since the more recent versions. Not sure about when it was a drum machine, though.

That alone is not even powerful enough to run FL Studio without any VST's.

fl 4.1 was quite useable on a windows ME system with a 950mhz processor and 512mb of ram.

an i5 m-XXX implies you're on a laptop, which also implies slower hard drive response rates and slower-than-normal performance of memory and CPU. just to let you know =)

you've got enough power under the hood to do your job, though.

one thing you DON'T need - unless you're recording stuff - is a sound card. this is a common misconception. if you're recording stuff, you'll need an audio interface, but if you're just writing music with FL Studio you don't need anything extra. use the money on good synths and all that.

an i5 m-XXX implies you're on a laptop, which also implies slower hard drive response rates and slower-than-normal performance of memory and CPU. just to let you know =)

you've got enough power under the hood to do your job, though.

It's still more powerful than what I have (AMD Athlon X2 2.1 Ghz laptop) so he has a lot to work with. (and I knew that laptops would be slower with mobile processors, but I still think an i5 is pretty decent as far as laptops go. At least, if the difference between i3's is as great on laptops as Intel says it is).

Also, FL 4.1 may have been usable but for running the current demo songs in FL Studio, like zircon's "Just Hold On" he might need a little more power. I couldn't run it on a 1.6 Ghz Celeron M 1.5 GB RAM.

@prophetik

I actually play the electric guitar and bass and would like to record those live. That's why I am looking at buying a soundcard.

got it. i'd suggest something with two inputs that's USB-based, then. the m-audio mobilepre is a good suggestion, and it's relatively cheap for the quality you get. i've had mine for four years and only had one problem with it (which was actually just the cord in the end).