StarTropics 2 - Ice Age World Map Neolectro Remix

Doni

Really cool --

you know, every song makes their own internal logic, and yours works just fine. So kudos on an enjoyable piece; it's going into my iTunes as it is. I love the source, and I enjoy the timbres/textures, especially when it all "comes together" around 1:28 and towards the end again. If I were an OCR judge, however, I would probably feel obligated to ask for more variation. Not because there's anything broken, so to speak, it's just that. . .

When music that is more repetitive music moves through the judges panel, things get a little sticky, cause some think the repetition is a matter of style and some think it's a matter of quality. On a large scale and a small scale, there are pretty repetitive aspects to your mix -- enough, in my opinion, for them to ask for more variation. I know repetition is going to be inherent in such a short source tune, and you've done some good things already to break it up, but it still might need a tad more help.

Read djpretzel's thoughts on the matter here

And listen to a good example of adding evolution and variation to an otherwise repetitive piece. Everything just flows so nicely.

Otherwise, the judges might also ask you to tone the bass and kick down a tad (or boost everything else a tad).

But hey, if you don't plan on submitting it -- all I have to say is thanks! Nice job

Patrick

Thanks for listening Patrick

I'm glad you liked it. In reality, the song was made just for you and others who like the source and can appreciate the mix.

Repetition on this one was definitely intentional... although it would not be too hard to put in a little segway here or there

The track is meant to be something I can drop fairly easily in one of my DJ sets, it's here to be appreciated

the chrono cross remix was cringeworthy for me, but that's an opinion thing. I hate trance of that variety :neutral:

the g n g mix u linked to was pretty good but perhaps that track is less dancefloor friendly and more headphone friendly. The changeups felt a bit forced at times, other times they worked really well. It's definitely a great mix but different than what I'm going for. That doesn't mean I couldn't add something to my mix, however

Anyhow, I might submit this, maybe... depends... not sure... but really its just for the people, so if the people decree it be so, I shall submit it!

in all honesty I never listened to the Chrono Cross track :) I just remember djp chiming in on repetition issues in some write up, so I Googled it.

but yeah, this is one of my favorite tunes from ST2, and this really brings it out. I think there's a contingent of StarTropics fans out there who would love seeing more posted from the series, too. So if you do decide to tweak some things to suit OCR's submission process, I think you'd have a warm reception.

Hey, sorry this one took me so long to get around to.

Right off the bat, I see what Patrick is saying; it's an enjoyable remix that takes the source in a pretty cool direction. I'm getting a lot of Daft Punk vibes from the light, airy beat and generally laid-back soundscape. It feels a little empty to me, but I'm guessing that's just a stylistic thing.

However, the repetition is a clincher that almost assuredly will keep this from passing the OCR panel :-( If you either shorten the track a bit to cut down on some of the repetitiveness or re-arrange to vary it up a bit, it would probably be an easy pass... however, I'd suggest you just submit to Remix:ThaSauce, pimp it on Youtube/Soundcloud/whatever and just keep it as it is. It works just fine in its current form, I just don't think it's what OCR is looking for in an arrangement.

Take this advice for what it's worth - great remix, but probably not OCR quality. You can submit anyway and see what happens though. I enjoyed listening regardless!

Meh.. the sad thing is that OCR has such bizarre standards. Everything seems to be evaluated in the context of "remixes we like" or rather, strictly based on opinion (or strange forces I cannot come to grips with)

Never heard of The Sauce, but I guess I can submit it there. I just want ppl to jam to this grove should they feel the urge, OCR acceptance or not

Actually, they're trying to approximate objective judgement in as much as that's possible with music. But yeah, I agree that while your mix has some pleasant sonic textures, it doesn't feel like it's actually going anywhere.

PrototypeRaptor made a remix that's stylistically pretty similar, but actually was so good that it got a direct post, so I wouldn't say it's a matter of genre bias in this case. Maybe you can lift some ideas from his mix.

Meh.. the sad thing is that OCR has such bizarre standards. Everything seems to be evaluated in the context of "remixes we like" or rather, strictly based on opinion (or strange forces I cannot come to grips with)

Never heard of The Sauce, but I guess I can submit it there. I just want ppl to jam to this grove should they feel the urge, OCR acceptance or not

Well, when I say "remixes that OCR likes" or something similar to that, I'm talking about how well they fit the submission standards not how well everyone on OCR will like the remix. A lot of times, judges have had to reject remixes that they openly adored because of issues like the one with your mix. It doesn't really have anything to do with OCR "liking" your remix, but rather how well it fits to the submission standards and the criteria they judge mixes on. It's definitely not an arbitrary judgment, but... I'm rambling.

Here's ThaSauce, in case you didn't figure it out yourself: http://remix.thasauce.net/

Well, when I say "remixes that OCR likes" or something similar to that, I'm talking about how well they fit the submission standards not how well everyone on OCR will like the remix. A lot of times, judges have had to reject remixes that they openly adored because of issues like the one with your mix. It doesn't really have anything to do with OCR "liking" your remix, but rather how well it fits to the submission standards and the criteria they judge mixes on. It's definitely not an arbitrary judgment, but... I'm rambling.

Here's ThaSauce, in case you didn't figure it out yourself: http://remix.thasauce.net/

Thx for the link to the sauce, I already submitted it there :)

Denying remixes they liked because they didn't fit the standards is just the opposite side of the spectrum. What I would think works best is some combination of abiding by the rules and sonic judgement. If my mix is repetitive... that's what it is supposed to be... a ton of video game music is repetitive, so it strikes me as odd to denounce repetition.

Actually, they're trying to approximate objective judgement in as much as that's possible with music. But yeah, I agree that while your mix has some pleasant sonic textures, it doesn't feel like it's actually going anywhere.

PrototypeRaptor made a remix that's stylistically pretty similar, but actually was so good that it got a direct post, so I wouldn't say it's a matter of genre bias in this case. Maybe you can lift some ideas from his mix.

It's not meant to go anywhere... for me, the source is about a tight groove. A few minutes to bob your head. It's not meant to "go anywhere".

I heard PR's mix. Yea, it's good, but I wouldn't call it stylistically similar at all. Both songs have house elements but he's going for an american electro sort of sound and I'm going for something a bit deeper and cheekier.

But that's almost case in point; PR's remix is good in it's own right. It's not the same as mine. Some people will like it, others won't. A quick look in the comments for his track reveals that many people don't like the compression he's used, which he clearly used stylistically.

There's always going to be give and take. As artists, if we want to benefit from the exposure OCR can provide, we have to pay homage to the infrastructure that gives it form and keeps it afloat. That structure does zap the occasional charming track these days, but it's the closest thing they have to objective quality control. (Which is amazing seeing as how they're all volunteers.)

Still diggin' your track, by the way.