OCR01262 - Super Mario World "Ghost"

djpretzel

Is there any way I could edit those drums out?

Yes...

but I'm not saying how...

"COPY AND PASTE THE URL"

http://jeffstrades.tripod.com/dontkicktheghost.mp3

-112kbps poorly compressed 30 second sample of Nixdorux's "Ghost" with the kick drum edited out.-

-Made it myself!-

This is just a poor attempt to remove the kick drum using various filters.

AND BEFORE YOU ASK, I'M NOT, I repeat, !NOT!going to release a full version of this piece with the kick drum taken out. It would be disrespectful to Nixdorux to do so without his permission, and I'm probably stepping over the line by posting this 30 sec sample. If anyone believes that I should remove the link and stop sharing the file, please let me know, and I'll gladly do so at the drop of a hat.

PS. I actually like the kick drum, I just made this to see what it would sound like without it. To be honest, I think it sounds better with it...

This is a fricken' work of art as far as I'm concerned. I'm a fan of both electronica and orchestral, and here's a piece with both that isn't just different movements. Absolute gold, for me. I suppose personal taste comes in here, I'm well aware that there are many out there who like one style or the other, but for me, it just doesn't get any better. Excellent job, Nix, you get a 9.5/10 for me.

As an added second thought to my above post, id have to say that the percussion does, in fact, make this entire piece worthwhile. while i do at times enjoy a good orchestral piece (right now im thinking of that ssb:m concert cd :D), its not exactly a genre that i would go all out for. if you listen to the percussion in a rather silent, "ambience-less" atmosphere, it sounds even better and more developed. try it with headphones before you pass the percussion off as mediocre.

As an added second thought to my above post, id have to say that the percussion does, in fact, make this entire piece worthwhile. while i do at times enjoy a good orchestral piece (right now im thinking of that ssb:m concert cd :D), its not exactly a genre that i would go all out for. if you listen to the percussion in a rather silent, "ambience-less" atmosphere, it sounds even better and more developed. try it with headphones before you pass the percussion off as mediocre.

Agreed. I was about to post something similar to this. The drums seem to keep the song flowing. I like the mix going on here.

I know this is starting to sound repetitive, but I too would love to hear a version of this from the original composer without the kick. Whilst it is an interesting and enjoyable listen, the kick gets incredibly bothersome after listening to the piece multiple times.

And erm, the Ghost House and Castle kind of use the same theme. The Castle just expands upon it and extends it.

Listened to it. The beginning was spooky, the following minute was catchy, nifty, and creative. I wasn't sure what mario theme was being mixed, and when I heard it, everything came streaming back to me all at once.

Wonderful song, with bumpin bass and flawless orchestra. Nixdorux? I am not familiar with you.. AH, gargoyle and megalo. i got you now. Well I think this song here is your best work so far.

This song is really good! I'm quite impressed by both the quality of the instruments and the quality of the composition. It might just be me, but some parts seem like they would fit in a Ratchet and Clank game...

The only thing I'm not sure about is the constant "thump" in the background. It works well for most of the piece but some areas (like around 2:10) it seems out of place. Everything else has gone quiet but the beat keeps blasting like some over-encougage bass drum player!

Otherwise, very good job Nixdorux, you have created a mix worthy of the OCR title!

I love this!!

The bass sounds like an infected mushroom bass

1:40, melody finally comes in, its kickass

I love the kick and bass

The songs nice and long

At 2:40, nix changes around the melody, reminds me of some starwars song

What part in teh game is 2:55? It sorta sounds familiar but I still don't know where its from, its still sweet though. I love the drums here, the dalay on the snare and hat really add

4:22 I love it!

then the ghost tune comes in again at 4:37. the ghost tune is the best part, it should repeat a few more times before the end

i loved psychrophytes version but it was too short! this song is nice and long and keeps me listening, i love it!! Bring me another, nix!~

Im gonna go dl your other two songs

• 2 weeks later...

Please take out the kick, I'm in love with the orchestral elements in this and the kick really agitates me.

I've been getting real annoyed with a lot of remixes on this site that put kicks where they honestly don't belong.

Nixdorux, if you post a version without the kick, I may offer you a small monetary reward... I'm THAT desperate.

Fix the mix.

To minimise the kick.

If you're using Winamp just turn on your graphic equaliser and drop the first two sliders to the bottom. It does help reduce the blow. Hope I have been of help. At some points the kick isn't so bad but it really bites the middle of the track.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

at first, i really, really hated the kick, but as i listen to the song more, i kind of like it (though i will definitely never love it). The best part is definitely the small string part when the fast part comes back. Not quite as good as Psychrophyte's version of the Ghost theme, but great job!

• 2 months later...

As I write this review this song is running through my playlist.

I am most pleased. It brings the technoy sythesized bass I miss so much from other remixes and it pushes it with the building suspense of violins.

And we all know violins are the sexiest instruments alive.

The pulse beat does get a bit repetitive though. If it was brought along with the melody and not just sped up that would have been better but I do not wish to bash this remix. It clearly is a vamp of an old video game standby. Hell I still see myself whistling that tune now and then -Did it about an hour ago before I even checked the forums lol.-

Then in 2:38 remaining it goes to slow beat Piano. A nice turn which brings the somber buildup of "Ghost" that shows originality and not just "Another remix of SMW" This is what makes it stand out folks.

And I stuck to this review, because it's 6 A.M. And I wrote it just now without any sleep.

w00t to summer sleep schedules.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01262 - Super Mario World "Ghost"