OCR02115 - Super Mario Bros. 2 "Melancholy Dreams"

djpretzel

Well this was about time, I have followed this remix for quite some time now and only now is it added to OCR? Ohwell, guess you can't have it all, can't you?

Back on topic, I have to say that this is a solid remix, with that middle eastern theme fitting the track very well :)

I love Vurez's stuff, and this is no exception. This song in particular exudes a strong middle eastern flair to it as mentioned in the writeup, which isn't something we see too often on the site.

One thing that caught my ears is the subtle change up in how the chord progression is played in the song towards the end. The song appears to be built on a lot of subtle nuances, which is somewhat appropriate to me considering what one might expect of music with this ethnic type.

Another nice feature is how nice this song is for looping in the background while doing something.

It's a really mellow piece. I like the sort of subtle intensity going on throughout it. It also feels really transitory (like the underground theme does) rather than leading into a climax. It all just sort of fits together and keeps flowing - or I could have just had it on repeat for a little bit and can barely tell where it begins and ends (I think if I crossfaded it I would have no idea).

I would meditate to this music. And your video was really eerie to watch, but also kind of heroic. Mario's enemies are finally rising up to defeat him!

I expect nothing less from the guy who remixed was able to remix MM6's FlameMan music! (If anyone is reading this and doesn't have "Flaming Desert Sand", I highly recommend that you download it from vurez.com.)

I can see it now: Mario somewhere in the desert: "I cannot-a believe-a that such-a hot-a place-a exists on the planet-a Earth-a!"

Some of the instruments could have been brought in a bit more subtly, at the 58 second mark I found myself quite jarred by the entrance something high pitch and sort of squeaky. And then it settled in and all was right with the world again.

This is quite charming though, awesome take on the source, probably my favourite of all the ones I've heard, actually!

I agree with djp; it's been far too long since this source was last remixed. Classic tune.

The choice of instruments is pretty much perfect for this arrangement. Doesn't sound melancholic at all, though; more like music you'd hear in a game based on Arabian Nights, sneaking around a bustling market or the king's palace.

Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, this mix makes me feel like Mario crawled into his favorite cave to smoke some opium and watch Peach bellydance.

Fantastic conversion of the source to the genre, it shows a lot of imagination. The original parts that are in there are great, and the instrumentation....gorgeous and sounding 100% authentic. Really really nice layering too, but I guess due to the nature of the style and speed of this I found myself zoning out a good bit. If anything, I would say the ending could have been improved slightly but it does work as is.

Top notch, my friend.

• 1 year later...
Ah, this mix makes me feel like Mario crawled into his favorite cave to smoke some opium and watch Peach bellydance.

Please.....tell me more. :-)

On a more serious note, I love more Middle Eartern feeling of this ReMix rather than the endless droning that it usually conjures up. It's amazing how something so damn repetitive can be made into a long and elaborated ReMix like this. The ending is pretty abrupt, but honestly, that's about the only issue I have with this one. As I expected from Vurez, this is a terrific piece.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02115 - Super Mario Bros. 2 "Melancholy Dreams"