OCR01264 - X-Out "LiquidX"

djpretzel

hmmm... interesting. You know you've got a good mix, when you can hit the play button and forget you're listening to it. It just becomes background music; more mood than sound. Maybe it's because I've never heard the original melody, but this song is a very good example of that kind of background music, in my opinion.

Funny thing is, I usually hate pure electronica songs like this one. It's certainly nothing spectacular; it would be easily overlooked. Yet for some reason, I can't stop listening to it. Again, it's not amazing, but it will more than likely get burned onto a CD of songs to help me sleep at night.

I'll give it a 7 out of 10ish.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Well, it seems that this mix dropped right off the radar. Not a single review since the day of release... I've got to start remixing more popular games. (Or, more accurately, Final Fantasy I to XII...) ;)

Thanks for all the comments, peeps. In future releases, I may turn the hihats down. But I can't guarentee that.

Binster

No way! You should continue doing more obscure songs because this kicks ass. Great stuff, I always like hearing new stuff rather than things I've heard many times.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, Binster should stay the course. I was bored during lunch, so I fired up my Zen and got the ICO mix, and thought, "I must have added it for some reason" and got blown away all over again. ;)

Came across this today, trying to fill up the gap from Remix 1250 to pressent after finishing the Torrents and organizing some other music, and I am impressed again.

Binster's got some good work, so stick with what you feel. I've tended to skip FF mixes moreso recently anyway. :P

• 2 years later...

This is why Binster is great. Obscure source material to bring something new into the spotlight, plus the arrangement's full of energy and excellent dynamics.

Actually, considering Martin's work after this, maybe it's just me, but I can't say I've ever heard him create anything else like this mix. Most of Martin's stuff involves pretty heavy beats, while this one was more melodic and grooooooooooooooove-oriented. Always looking forward to whatever arrangements he releases.

• 3 months later...

I love when obscure game tracks are done with a high level of quality; it's generally the best way to get people to take notice, and this mix is clearly in that group; Cool synths and a killer groove, with nice punchy drums, it gives you a little breather before building back into a ass-shaker. Excellently deep bass on this one, it's a very well chosen sound, that's pushed to the forefront for maximum effect. Some cool bit crushing closes out the track, very creative idea for taking the percussion out of the equation.

A lot more groove-oriented than I am used to, this track works pretty well; the synths are well balanced, and though the melody is in the passenger seat for the whole ride, it is still a pretty exciting journey.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01264 - X-Out "LiquidX"