Kontakt Question- Filters

Speeeven

I'm pretty new to Kontakt, so I'm not sure how to work all the bells and whistles. Having more than one instance of Kontakt up in my sequencer slows it my computer down quite a bit, so I've stuck to putting all the instruments in one instance of Kontakt 4. My problem is that I want to use different audio filters for each instrument in Kontakt. Is that possible? Say, for example, I have Synth 1 and Synth 2 in Kontakt on channels 1 and 2, and I want Synth 1 to go through Reaktor FX and I want Synth 2 to go to Guitar Rig... is that do-able without opening up multiple instances of Kontakt for each instrument I want a filter for? Thanks!

First of all, you're definitely SUPPOSED to load multiple instruments in one Kontakt instance. That's what it's built for! So, you should get used to doing that as it's far more efficient on your CPU + RAM. Anyway, as for your question, Kontakt has up to 64 outputs all of which can have their own mixer/FX track in your host. That's not a problem at all - just load Kontakt_16out for example and it will be preconfigured with 16 outputs. You can select which output you want each instrument to go to within Kontakt by clicking on "output" on the main instrument interface - it's basically right in the middle.

Other than that, output configuration depends on your DAW. They all do it differently.

Just to help you out, you're talking about using Guitar Rig and Reaktor as effects, not filters. A filter is a specific type of effect, usually built into a synth to remove part of the harmonic spectrum (remove the high frequencies from a synth lead line, for example).

Also, Kontakt has some built-in effects that may or may not suit your needs, so you might not have to go to a Guitar Rig instance depending on which effects you plan on using.

Most of your patches will be editable within the Kontakt interface.

If you want to add a filter to one of your instruments, you can do so by opening up Kontakt and selecting the particular instruments' edit interface by clicking on the appropriate patch's WRENCH button.

Once open, you can apply filters in many different ways. To most mimic the filters you would apply, locate the InsertEffects area (a light gray region if it's already opened up) of the editor interface. Then drop it down if it is not already opened up, once open, you will see a bay of 8 slots, some may be filled some may be empty--the empty slots will be dark gray with the wrods "Add FX" on them, if you click on the "+" button within that slot, then a drop down menu of available fx will appear--filters are the top selection.

One of the more powerful features of Kontakt is the Group Insert FX where you can automate FX like filters using a variety of external and internal sources.